Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Templates

Hey all. Have just subscribed because I would never have gotten through my NQT induction year without this sites' guidance - thank you all.

I've been enjoying the MTP sharing thread that you've all started, which gave me the confidence I needed to sit my FS co-ordinator down and request that we address the issue that for the last year there have been no LTPs or MTPs to work from - it has been a simple case of planning as a when. Hard work as an NQT (but as an NQT I also had the audacity to go ahead and do my own for my file anyway!). As I'm in a double classroom with the FS co-ordinator anyway, it's hard to have to resist the urge to go ahead with certain things because if I do, it's really a case of professional suicide as I am seen as the newby taking over. But then, it's got to the point where we are possibly due and Ofsted, we are being moderated for our observations this time and it was only the first day for my kids today too!!!!

The point of this post is to say that I've spent a good deal of the summer focusing on trying to sort out observation templates that would be useful to me and my aim to have a decent profile of the children through observations to send home at the end of the year. I've got a lot of ideas from the book 'Observation in the Foundation Stage' and if anyone is interested I will post them on here (somehow!) so that you don't have to go through the hassle of typing them up like I did. Some of them are straight from the book (hope I won't get done for plagiarism!), but like I said, if it can be of any help, please let me know!

D xxx

I would love to see a copy. Its really hard at the beginning of a new year. I am trying to gather evidence and would appreciate seeing what you have done.

Look forward to it

Joanne

HI sugarbabes and congrats on the completion of your NQT year :D -if we haven't done that already!

I'm sure that there will be plenty of others who like Joanne would appreciate you posting your templates, please! Thanks.

Sagarbabes, I would be really interested to see your templates too, if you would be able to email them to me i would br extremely grateful!

Annette

Thank you so much Sugarbabes, I'm sure lots of people would be interested.

If the file isn't to big scroll down when you write a reply to File attachments and click on browse to add your file - sorry if I'm 'teaching Grandma how to suck eggs'!

Hi Donna -

Thanks very much for deciding to subscribe and hopefully you'll get as much from the forum this coming year! :)

With regard to your template files, Magenta has described how you can add the files to posts, which you need to do one post per file - alternatively, you could send them to me attached to an email, and I'll be happy to put them on a web page and link to them from here if you'd find that easier? (steve@foundation-stage.info).

Best wishes,

Steve.

Hey all. Will attach them a sheet at a time. Thanks Steve, and I would send them to you but it's probably quicker to send them individually on here - the computer is being a bit tempremental at the moment!!!!!

Like I said a few are from other sources, so don't think I woke up one morning with additional brain capacity!! Have used the photo ones today and found them to be really easy to use and effective. They allow for a central photo to be stuck on and them give boxes for each of the six areas for you to comment on that one picture i.e. give your judgements from the picture rather than going through the rigmorole of having to write the observation up as well. Am very impressed with that one. Will trial some more of the others later.

Hope they help.

D xxx

Photos.doc

Hope all those work and you find some of them helpful. Like I said, muchly (!) impressed with the photo one and am planning on trialing the others over the coming week. Let me know what you all think!

D xxx

Downloaded them last night but was too tired to spend any time looking at them then but they certainly looked good. I really do like the photograph idea as well but would have to find some way of adapting the form as we only have 5 areas of learning. It makes all my forms look untidy - I much prefer symmetry. xD:o

Have you seen in todays Nursery World, the article about short term planning? Too much emphasis on medium term. I have actually this term forgone the usual med term, and focused more on short term. I know we're only just into the term but so far we are happy that we know what we are doing and will be able to apply it easily. Before now we found we were planning for the moment anyway and the med term kind of went of the window. The FS folder doesnt' actually give examples of med term either, only naming long and short. Our EYDPC mentor will be in next week and no doubt she will have reservations but it is our planning for our setting and I think thats what counts. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)