Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Garden - Need Help!

Hi All

I can see that there are a lot of green fingered people on this site so I'm hoping that you can point me all in the right direction.

I am hoping to start up a little vegetable garden out side my classroom. I have a small patch of grass that can be turned into a bed and am going to get some tyres from the local garrage. Any better suggestions?

I'm not really sure what I should be doing/planting at this time of the year as I have nothing to tend already as I will be starting from scratch.

Can I grow anything successfully at this time of the year, that won't require endless amounts of fleecing and a greenhouse?

Hi Rufus, this is exactly what I'm starting with my little gardeners this autumn, and apparantly, this is a great time for planting!! Ask your families if they are dividing plants/bulbs and would they be willing to share them with you? Also, in our area, it's a great time for church fetes, so I'll be heading in the direction of plant stalls. I have also put a begging letter in our parish magazine, asking for donations of plants and tools.You will need to be very careful what you plant..daffodils, for instance, are poisonous, as are foxgloves and delphiniums (and all of them are very beautiful!).We're going to use tyres and some railway sleepers to create raised beds and have a small pathway through the middle.We may even get a willow den built (easy peasy apparantly, push in the willow sticks and off they go!).We shall have to compare notes!

In case anyone is interested Woolworths are selling Children's Gardening sets reduced from £39.99 to £5! contains a wheelbarrow, spade, rake, brush, gardening gloves and apron

oooooooooh! xD

One of my friends is doing 'food' as a topic in September - she has found a potato which needs to be planted in September and crops in December. If only I could remember what it was called... :o

On the BBC website it suggests the following crops to be planted in September

lettuce and salad leaves

Chinese cabbage

endive

winter spinach

turnips for their green tops

final sowing of spring cabbage

Hope that helps.

Jane C

On the BBC website it suggests the following crops to be planted in September

lettuce and salad leaves

Chinese cabbage

endive

winter spinach

turnips for their green tops

final sowing of spring cabbage

Hope that helps.

Jane C

Thanks for that Jane and welcome to the forum. :o

Rufus if you click on Resources on the left side box of this page a list will come up, and on that list click on Topic Support. Scroll down and open the next page and you will see Gardening Calendar, which was added by Mundia, a true Forum Gardener. You will find everything you need in her article.

have you tried woolies on line service.......it's free delivery at the moment.The set is a chad valley set, so worth a look on their website?

Just been on there site, no such luck i'm afraid but thanks

This is my first post so hope it works!

I know it seems a long way off in the future, but you can register with the potato council and enter their competition to grow potatoes. The potatoes get posted out in February and the competition closes in July. I have done this with my class for two years now and they love it.

http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)