Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do We Need To Plan For Continuous Provision?

Rufus

Hi all

I would really like to know what your opinion is please. I have looked at the CP sheets uploaded into the resources section and think that they are fab and am planning to use these as part of my long term planning.

What i would really like to know is this; since we are supposed to be promoting self chosen activities etc should we really be planning for continuous provision on a weekly basis? Lots of the Short term plans that i have seen include all these areas every week - what they are going to put out in terms of sand, water, construction etc.

In my classroom i have organised everything so that the children can access all the resources themselves. So do you guys think that to have these Continuous Provision sheets as my long term plans is enough or do I still need to cover it in my weekly plans?

It seems wrong to me to put set things out when I am able to provide the chidlren will all the resources and allow them to choose themselves.

Hope I am making sense!

I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.

Ta

The advice I've been given is that Continuous Provision will be the bulk of your LT Planning and you only need to fill in weekly/daily planning for these areas if you add enhancements with a specific learning outcome intended or you are delivering and adult focused/directed activity there.

Guest Wolfie

I agree with what has been said about enhancements - maybe just jot a few "short term" notes about what you are adding to the provision in order to meet the needs and interests of individual/groups of children.

The advice I've been given is that Continuous Provision will be the bulk of your LT Planning and you only need to fill in weekly/daily planning for these areas if you add enhancements with a specific learning outcome intended or you are delivering and adult focused/directed activity there.

So do you have a detailed plan for each activity/area that is part of your continuous provision (eg sand/water play, dough etc), showing what learning may be taking place when children access these areas? And then a separate/additional plan if you decided to offer dinosaurs in the sand in response to one child's interests, for as long as that interest is ongoing and developing?

Maz

So do you have a detailed plan for each activity/area that is part of your continuous provision (eg sand/water play, dough etc), showing what learning may be taking place when children access these areas? And then a separate/additional plan if you decided to offer dinosaurs in the sand in response to one child's interests, for as long as that interest is ongoing and developing?

Maz

I can only comment on past planning pre EYFS.

I started writing 'activity plans' of what learning 'may' take place in various areas of the provision, but it became an onerous (spl) task, that quite honestly wasn't referred to by staff. There are 1001 things you 'could' learn through dough.

I personaly see CP as the LT plan, and short term planning to include comment on resources provided for individual childrens interests (as 1st consideration) then as 2nd consideration 'record' possible learning outcome for the individual (this plan would impact on how adults interact with child to empower meeting the learning outcome plan).......or..........record the learning outcome 'retrospective' of the activity (that you have resourced for) detailing how the child empowered their own learning (ie: what the child learnt by him/herself - self initiated concepts).

Does that make sense?

Peggy

Maz

Yes we are in the process of updating our CP plans but our LA have put the basics on the website so it's just a case of adapting them to our setting (previously used JacquieL's excellent version). These will be displayed and form the LTP in addition we use an area plan and will complete that ONLY if there is something in addition to normal CP which will be informed by the children's interests or occasionally by adult led intentions.

Hi

have just recently joined this forum and found it the most helpful and worthwhile thing to do! I am just curious as to where i will find the continuous provision formats as i cant find them in the resources section-but im very new to this so probably not searching correctly! Please would somebody paste the link onto here for me.

Apologies!

Henrietta

continuous provision

found in resource library, planning, long term , second page last item....

Also some others found in posts more links found in this post.

You could try a forum search for this too.. I often find if you look at the ones which have links in them (shown by a paperclip symbol ) it can be more helpful.

Inge

Thanks very much for your help they are brilliant!

Henrietta

Thanks very much for your help they are brilliant!

Henrietta

Hi Henrietta

These are the continuous provision sheets that I am using, once I have adapted them slightly but have found these to be the best. Really good coverage of EYFS too.

Durham website below

Click here

Having just lost one reply into the ether, let me start again.

I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which format to use for my CP planning. I've downloaded BevL's and love the detail she has included: it really explains what the area/activity is all about. However, I like the Essex format that Catriona mentioned (and Inge linked to) because it is based around the themes and principles of the EYFS.

The only way I can see it possible to combine the two is to make two pages for each area of my pre-school - but at least it will be detailed!

My question is whether people think brevity is in order (and keeping it to one A4 page) or whether we should include as much detail as possible in order to hit Mrs O over the head by making it very clear how each area supports our delivery of the EYFS?

Maz

I think those Durham ones are the best yet in terms of all that they cover. I would adapt them to my setting and blow them up onto A3 as they are rather small. I do wonder though if they were put up in the areas whether they are too wordy to be read by everyone. Perhaps they could be in the planning file and the subject of staff training and development, and a simpler version put up in the CP areas.

Jacquie and Maz, I agree the Durham ones are the best in terms of coverage. However answering the other question, i think they may be too detailed to put up in the areas and indeed would confuse a parent if they were to read them. There are some other ones on the resources section infact you put them on JacquieL! I will use these less detailed ones to put up around the classroom and issue to parents and the more detailed ones as my LTP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)