Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Can I Make Paint Really Thick?

Hi all,

need some advise - i am doing seaside and holidays at the moment and want the children to use different types of combs to make patterns in trays of paint which we can then take prints of with paper to look like the waves in the sea. What should I add to the paint to make it really think and gloopy?

Hi all,

need some advise - i am doing seaside and holidays at the moment and want the children to use different types of combs to make patterns in trays of paint which we can then take prints of with paper to look like the waves in the sea. What should I add to the paint to make it really think and gloopy?

flour? cornflour?

we use a scola cell glue..acts like old fashioned wall paper paste without the fungicide... works really well, and easier to clean than PVA. but you need to order it from a supplier so not much use for tomorrow!!

Inge

we use a scola cell glue..acts like old fashioned wall paper paste without the fungicide...

Does it come in little plastic sachets, Inge? I think we had some of that kicking around in our cupboard for ages and ages...

thinking about it Inge think there might be some of that knocking around in the art cupboard - will look when i go in tomorrow - its amazing what you find in there if you have a rummage!!

Try mixing shaving foam with PVA and paint. Needs a bit of a whisk, smells nice and stays fluffy for a while. smells lovely!

we use the scola cell glue all the time for our powder paint- far better than mixing it with water and it doesn't flake off. We mis up a big jar of each week and it lasts all week. Have you thought about adding sand too- gives a nice texture too

Does it come in little plastic sachets, Inge? I think we had some of that kicking around in our cupboard for ages and ages...

Yes, ours comes in a clear packet of powder which you mix with water to make a paste.. , one pack can make loads and you can make it as thick or thin as you like just by adding more water.. can be lumpy when first made but seems to sort itself out when left overnight.

we use it all the time with powder paint , add a bit of washing up liquid and you can get a lovely moussy texture to the paint if you mix it really well. more glue less paint gives a clear less intense paint , children love to help mix it up.. and as apple said it doesnt flake off the paper... Children can add paper and other bits to the paintings and it sticks well.. we also use the glue for paper sticking and paper mache

Also cleaning up is much easier than PVA

Inge

Yep, thats the stuff, in a small packet but its a devil to get the amount right.... I use a two-ended medicine spoon, is the small end 2.5ml? Thats plenty for a standard paint pot! Otherwise you will be there until Christmas trying to gouge it out with a sharp knife, lol! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)