Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preschool Learning Alliance

Hi not sure if this has been discussed before but .. I have just joined a pre school committee who are a sessional based charity and part of the pre school learning alliance and are having major issues getting parents involved on the committee. I have been told they want to move away from the PLA but are concerned about insurance, accreditation etc. anyone got any suggestions what should we do?

Hi

I started a thread about this under 'is there any alternatives?', Have a read of that thread, it might answer some of your questions. So sorry I dont know how to do the link!!!

The PLA in Birmingham have just announced that the constitution is being changed to allow staff to be on the committee. I dont know any other detaiols, so you might want to check with your local office.

The PLA in Birmingham have just announced that the constitution is being changed to allow staff to be on the committee. I dont know any other detaiols, so you might want to check with your local office.

It was passed at the AGM in June.

This was a change introduced by the Charities Act 2006 and it has been introduced it to help groups that are struggling to find sufficient parent committee members.

If staff wish to sit on the committee there are certain conditions that must be observed:

A. The must comprise a minority of committee members;

B. They must have a clear written contract of employment;

C. They must not be paid more than a fair wage, and cannot be paid extra for sitting on the committee;

D. They must not vote at any meeting which considers anything connected with their employment.

In addition the recommendation is that if any staff are elected they should not sit as the Chair or treasurer of the group, however this was not specifically drafted in as the Charities Act does not make this a condition and there will be situations when it may be necessary for them to do so.

Don't know when the new constitution will be out though

This doesn't help at our setting unfortunately. :o With the amount of committee we have lined up for September the staff:parent ratio would be 7:1. With only 7 members of staff you can work out how many parents we have interested!! xD

Not sure of the details, but we are classed as an independent community pre-school, based in a church hall. It is owned and run by the our supervisor, no committee, and we are members of the Pre-school Learning Alliance, who do come in regularly to support and advice. The owners have changed a few times over the years but the setting has been 'gifted' rather than sold. We are not a registered charity, are non-profit making and have to do a lot of fundraising throughout the year just to keep afloat. Won't be able to find out anymore details until September though, sorry.

Karrie

• 2 weeks later...

I think that it is great news that the staff can be on the committee. As from moving away from the Pre-School Learning Alliance, for us would be madness. Over the last year they have supported our setting hugely and without their guidance, knowledge and dedication we would have been no more xD

Big, big thankyou to Milton Keynes Pre-School Learning Alliance :o

Big, big thankyou to Milton Keynes Pre-School Learning Alliance :o

That's fantastic, debster! I worked for the PLA (and before that the PPA) as a Branch Administrator and apart from the great work the development workers did for their members, my overwhelming memory was that of trying to persuade people to join the Branch Committee at the AGM each year. Much whistling, staring at shoes and coughing followed the dreaded question "do we have any volunteers?" and often it was just the same band of people left at the end of the evening.

For lots of reasons we don't have a branch here in Windsor and Maidenhead any more - but I know the PLA are still strong in any other areas of the country. I'm so glad to hear that your Branch are doing such a sterling job!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)