Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Cook Dough

Help!

One of my staff is retiring and she has always made the playdough.

We have a recipie for cooking it, but wondered if there is one for a no cook recipie that the children can make with us?

Any ideas/help/recipies welcomed,

thank you :-)

Edited by Guest

we make ours with the children....they do all the mixing and measuring, we then cook it in the microwave.

Here is the recipe we use...

Basic Playdough Recipe

2 cups of plain flour

1 cup of salt

2 cups of boiling water

4 teaspoons cream of tartar

2 tablespoons cooking oil

Food colouring

1. Put flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil into a large bowl

2. Pour in 2 cups of BOILING water with some food colouring. Mix quickly with a spoon.

3. When slightly cooled knead well into a ball.

4. Lasts well if stored in an air-tight container.

Other ideas…….

• Make textured playdough with glitter, rice, oats, lentils or sand

• Scented playdough with food essences e.g. vanilla, peppermint, lemon or almond, spices e.g. ginger, cinnamon or curry powder (!!) or

essential oils e.g. lavender, eucalyptus or geranium.

• CHOCOLATE playdough – omit the food colouring and add 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients

Cath

:o cathrich, got this receipe off of here before and can really recommend as its the best palydough recipe we have done and yu can do it with the children apart from adding the water.

Its really soft and lasts for ages. Not like my previous recipe that ended up in crumbs all over a dark green carpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use the same as caths recipe it great easy and last for ages. I have passed this on to lots of friends who say its the best recipe ever.

Good luck

0258 Robinson x

We use this too but I have to say that we do not keep it for ages because it rapidly becomes unhygienic no matter how careful you are! We replace ours weekly as good practice and also its cheap to make. Why not err on the side of caution and replace it regularly? Its a job easily delegated to a staffmember or why not involve your parents? Could be a fab way in increase parental involvement and could trigger more tactile activities in the home. If you are really bothered you could reimburse parents for their expenses! It could become something of a challenge to come up with a new twist on the playdough for the parents, you know how competitive they can get.....

Edited by Guest

Oh wow Cath,

sounds like your recipie is now heading to Kent! Thank you soooo much, I'm looking forward to it as the children can help with the cooler bits,

Thank you :o

Not sure about lifespan of P.Dough but when I closed my preschool in December I gave the last of my P.Dough supply to one of the parents (recipe as cath's). Well she came to see me today, she wants help with her daughters 5th BDay party, wants to put on a puppet show with my help, but that's a different story. Anyway she mentioned that she still has the P.Dough I gave her, stores it in the fridge and her daughter still loves to play with it regularly. :(

I wonder how long it will last, obviously no apparent health problems concerning it's age :oxD

Peggy

we have had fun making playdough today we used the tuff spot and had about 5 children around it at a time and had piles of flour adding a bit of salt & cream of tartar and yellow colouring and cold water we also added lemon flavouring, they used their fingers to mix their ingredents together and had loads of fun getting really messy!! when the mixture resembled a solid mass we combined the children's mixes together to make a big ball then once mixed with larger hands! it was ready for them to play with. it was really interesting to observe the language used and the reaction to all the stages of the dough experience, adding flavouring is a new concept for me (i saw it on the forum!) but it really adds a new dimention to the dough and the childrens reactions to it. those tuff spots really do have so many uses!

Peggy, that's not amazing, that's disgusting - got goosebumps just thinking about it :o

Debatwrittle, sounds great fun! We're having a Gruffalo party on friday and had planned brown playdough so I bought cocoa powder in readiness today. Now I think we'll make it with the children too! Thanks for the idea.

Peggy, that's not amazing, that's disgusting - got goosebumps just thinking about it :o

Debatwrittle, sounds great fun! We're having a Gruffalo party on friday and had planned brown playdough so I bought cocoa powder in readiness today. Now I think we'll make it with the children too! Thanks for the idea.

Hi there

Sorry to go off the topic a bit but I'm intrigued by your gruffalo party.... sounds great - what are you up to??

Cath

• 5 weeks later...

Cathrich,

What a fabulous recipe - one of the easiest we've ever done.

I had two 2yr olds, a 4yr old and a 7yr old doing it themselves (I poured the boiling water and stirred it until it cooled down).

Brilliant - thank you !!! xxx

I love the "no cook" play dough recipie - again i found it on here a while back and it is fab - i went through a phase of making different coloured play dough each day and we had loads of fun and i agree it is the best play dough recipie i have ever found!!!

• 9 months later...

It's nice if you put herbal tea in the boiling water, let is steep for a bit then bring it back to the boil before adding it to the flour and stuff - mmmm blackberry!

We sometimes add the actual tea out of the bag too, to add texture

It's nice if you put herbal tea in the boiling water, let is steep for a bit then bring it back to the boil before adding it to the flour and stuff - mmmm blackberry!

We sometimes add the actual tea out of the bag too, to add texture

How wonderfully creative!

I wish I could think up things like that. I'm fine with the science and logic side but I wasn't around when the creativity was dished out. I love the ideas I get from this forum. I know what we're doing next time we make playdough now. Thankyou.

Sparklebox do a good visual playdough recipe which I use with the children when making the dough.

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/thumbs761-765/sb763prev.html

I have printed and laminated the first page only, as I don't use a pan and I put boiling water in after all the children have put in the dry ingredients, so the recipe cannot be followed properly.

It does make excellent dough and many people have commented how good it is!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)