Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tweezers And Bee Stings

I have recently been on a first aid course and they recomended that we have tweezers in our first aid kit to remove bee stings if necessary. I know I should have asked at the time, but didn't and now i'm wondering "Are we, as practitioners allowed to remove bee stings from the children?" Any body have any advice?

Hello didge a warm welcome to the forum and thanks for your interesting query. :o

Personally I've never been told I can't remove a bee sting, then on the other hand I've never been told I can. I have also never experienced a child being unfortunate enough to get a bee sting. I would guess that if removing it reduces pain, allergic reaction etc, and the child is not too traumatised to enable you to attempt to use tweezers on them and that the 1st aid trainer says to be prepared for it then I don't see why you shouldn't. If you did though, what could be the worst result that would make you consider not too?

Your question has just thrown up more questions from me I'm afraid, I'll be interested to read others responses.

Peggy

Welcome to the Forum, didge!

We've just updated our first aid training and were told not to have tweezers in our first aid box because then we wouldn't be tempted to use them. We were told that whatever is sticking into a child's skin should not be removed by us.

Didn't think to ask if that included stings though - might need to send an email to check!

Maz

Thats my thought too though and the first aid trainers said this was a possibility is you did it wrong! Probably not worth the risk is it? Maybe best to have the tweezers in the cupboard but call the parents to come and deal with it. Wouldnt want to make a bad situation worse! Thanks for your thoughts

aways been told not to remove with tweezers or fingers .. as Andreamay says this can inject more venom into the wound.. always been told to scrape it off using a straight edge, a credit car is supposed to work.. not tried it myself. that said NHS direct says use tweezers but be careful not to spread more venom under the skin oh an be careful not to puncture the venomous sac!!

stings

Inge

Guest Wolfie

I've heard the same as Inge- the sting has got a barb on it hasn't it, so it would be very hard to pull back out with tweezers.

at our school we are not allowed to remove anything froma childs skin such as a bee sting or a splinter - we have to call parents in - not sure if this is just what our school has decided to do or if it has come from official advice

A recent 1st aid course said NOT to remove the sting with tweezers. The bee's sting continues to hold poison and squeezing it gives a second dose. It was advised to scrape it off with something like a credit card.

I dont think there is 'official' advise about wteezers, these things are usually heresay I think. I know if my son had a splinter I would want it removed and a plaster covering to prevent infection.

Always been told not to remove with tweezers as the bee sting is like a pump and squeezing makes it worse.Wasp stings are more a sharp thorn.

Last week I had a child stung twice by a wasp at carpet time.All the children were sitting quietly no noise or excitement and a wasp just appeared :o .It was attracted to a certain child who was wearing his hair spiked up with hair gel.It finally settled on his hair and he immediately put his hand up and was stung 2 times despite mine and a TA's prompt reaction when it had appeared.

Happened in seconds.

We've also been told not to remove a sting with tweezers. Never had the occasion to do so.

Child had a splinter in her hand last week and had to call mum to come pick her up. It was very deep and she was adamant that no one was going to touch it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)