Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq4 Or Not?

I am just coming to the end of my NVQ3 CCLD and am wondering what next! I moved straight onto my level 3 after my level 2 so have been studying for 2 years, but I know that if I have a 'break' I may not go back!! I have just taken over as Superviser of a sessional Pre-School so my level 3 is fine in that respect but I am wondering if the level 4 is worth doing. Any advice greatly received as I'm not sure which way to go next!!

Thanks

Kris

it a very personal choice..

but I would go down the foundation degree route rather than NVQ...

the way early years is 'developing' with EYPS to be needed in every setting , to do this you need a degree so logically.....

Not done either but seen staff do both and those doing degree have said how useful it has been, and how they enjoyed it. One only planned to do 1 year of FD to get a level 4 but has now almost finished year 3!!

Me happy to 'just play with the children'

Inge

Hi Kris

It really depends on what your long term career plans are. You might like to spend some time consolidating your knowledge and gaining more experience before jumping into another course of study. If you're considering Early Years Professional Status in the future, I'd be inclined to go straight for the Foundation Degree (assuming you don't have a degree already in an unrelated subject).

Maz

Hi

Thanks for the quick response!! I have thought about the Foundation Degree but not sure if I want to sign up for 3 years, the level 4 seemed an easier option but wasn't sure if it was worth doing.

Kris

Guest Wolfie

I have supported staff doing both the Level 4 and the Foundation Degree.

The ones doing the level 4 found it very hard to get motivated, hated doing the written work and said it did nothing to further their understanding and practice on a day to day basis; the ones doing the Foundation Degree loved almost every minute (granted, they did get a little bit stressed with deadlines from time to time!) and said that there wasn't one assignment that they didn't find useful - and during every assignment they got the chance to reflect on and develop their everyday practice.

Just a personal opinion you understand! Are you sure it's three years and not two?

Hi Wolfie

According to my Assessor the foundation degree is for two years in a local college and then a further year Open University, if anyone knows a shorter route would love to hear about it! I had thought about stopping at my leve 3 for the time being, but as a MATURE student and into the swing of regular studying I know if I stop now I may not go back!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Kris

Guest Wolfie

The person that I mentored did it in two years, going to a local college on a Monday from 3-9pm every week....

Due to work and family commitments I was unable to do my foundation degree with the local college and have done my foundation degree and Ba with the open university I am now doing my EYPS as well fingers crossed in total it will have taken me 3years to do the two degrees and my EYPS I started with the OU in 2005 when I was a level 3 so this may be a quicker and more convenient route for you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)