Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Floor Plans

Hi. I have just started working as a tutor and one of the units requires the students to design a floor plan for their setting. Where can I look to get some examples reflecting good practice?

Hi Ratts - welcome to the Forum and congratulations on the new job!

Community Playthings have some planning tools on their website (I'm sure there's a CD-Rom you can send for). A good place might be to look in one of the textbooks, depending upon the course you are teaching:-

Tina Bruce/Carolyn Meggitt - Child Care and Education has a good section on planning/layout of the environment with good descriptions of why areas are necessary, and factors to take into consideration

Penny Tassoni/Kate Beith - Diploma Child Care and Education has a large section about the environment generally and discusses layout briefly

I have to say that when I have taught this I tend to get the students to do all the work! They will/should have gained information about what makes a good book corner for instance, and therefore would be able to translate this knowledge into making decisions about where to put their book corner (eg not near a main thoroughfare, somewhere with good natural light etc).

I also ask learners if they have a copy of their own setting's floor plans - useful for tracking children as they move around the setting. These provide a good focus for discussion about what they would do if they had unlimited space (and money).

Hope you find what you need!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)