Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Favourite Books

I have been given some money to buy books for the preschool children. They range in age from 2.5years to school age and I was wondering if you would help me compile a list of books that you or your children (own or settings) love to read/have read to them!!

Any sort of book will do, even if you only have a few seconds to spare, I would appreciate it, and so would my preschool children!! Thank you!

Shhh! - Sally Grindley and Peter Utton

Do not open this book - Joy Cowley (might be hard to find)

Snick, snack sniffle nose - Juddith Nicholls

Dont let the pigeon drive the bus - Mo Willems

Beware of the bears - Alan MacDonald, Gwyneth Williamson

George and the dragon - Chris Wormell (read by Brian Blessed)

They are my favourites and the children have always loved them too.

:o Our children love all of the Julia Donaldson books especially the gruffalo and smartest giant in town, the also like down by the cool of the pool as we do all of the animal actions and i have just brought the animal puppets to use with this one as it is always requested. all the classics are good like chicken licken ,jack and the beanstalk oh and ive just remembered all in one piece part of the LARGE FAMILY of ELEPHANTS again sorry cant remember the author but got the books at waterstones for my children and took them in to preschool where they have stayed!!!!

Shopping for books - my idea of heaven!!! This could be a very long list, it will be interesting to see others ideas

Beryls box - Lisa Taylor, Beryl Dann

The Oliver books are great, Oliver's fruit salad, Oliver's vegetables and Oliver's milkshake by Vivian French and Alison Bartlett.

Lucy's picture by Nicola Moon.

Martin Waddell books - any of those!

Mick Inkpen, Wibbly pig stories and the Blue balloon

Handa's hen/Handa's surprise - Eileen Browne

Did Dig Digging - Margaret Mayo (also other transport themed ones)

Jill Murphy - large family stories,

Jez Alborough - Duck books

David McKee - Elmer

Julia Donaldson - Gruffalo etc

Eric Carle - Hungry caterpillar, busy spider etc

Where the wild things are - Maurice Sendak

We're going on a bear hunt - Michael Rosen

There are hundreds more but these would be some of my essetntials!

Guest Wolfie

Room on the Broom and Smartest Giant in Town - Julia Donaldson

Titch - Pat Hutchins - very simple storyline but I love reading it

Anything by Lynley Dodd - Hairy McClary, Slinky Malinky, etc.

Giles Andreae and Nick sharratt

my class love Nick Sharratt stories~ Don't put you finger in the jelly Nelly ~ Ketchup on your cornflakes ~ Mixed up Fairy Tales ~ Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Goose I went to the Zooper market Pirate Pete etc etc

hiya

wot about asking your book rep to cum and tell her the age range before hand, i had our local book rep cum 3 wks ago as i had to upgrade our books and she bought a fab collection for the children, we have started using them and the children luv them!!

best of all you get to seethem before buying them and if you dont like them you could always return them

ps - wot about buying full story sacks we just spent £2000 on these and they are ab fab !!!

So many many favourite books, but here's a few:

So Much - Trish Cooke

Mr Wolf's Pancakes - Jan Fearnley - surprise ending that children love!

Farmer Duck, Owl Babies - Martin Waddell

EVERYTHING by Eric Carle!

Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, Dinosaur Roar - Paul Stickland

Where the Wild Things Are

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Eddie's Garden - Sarah Garland

And The Good Brown Earth (these two are gorgeous story books about gardening and growing plants)

Katie's Picture Show (she goes into an art gallery, climbs into famous paintings and has lots of adventures)

Have fun shopping!! :o

Emma

Guest Wolfie

I agree about using story sacks but you don't need to spend that much on them - there are some much cheaper ones on ebay or you could get parents to help you make your own! :o

Apart from all the lovely well known books already mentioned, I love the book. What colour is love? by Linda Strachan.

It was a favourite from my shelf of my oldest granddaughter who now reads it to her sister.

Thank you for all the input. There are a few I haven't even heard of!!

Wolfie, we have made loads of story sacks at the preschool. I shall be keeping an eye out on ebay for them too.

I will be ordering some next week, but keep adding if possible!! Thanks again :o

Commotion in the Ocean

Don't Eat the Teacher

Rainbow Fish

Lots of children at our pre-school love Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder and Charlie and Lola but as an adult I don't enjoy reading them they just don't rhyme! They also like the Usborne books with Poppy and Sam and Percy the Park Keeper.

We have just had a very loose theme of traditional stories which the children absolutely loved.

I'm a big Julia Donaldson fan and also enjoy Wanda the witch stories too.

We offer a library system at our pre-school to encourage adult participation and it works a treat.

So Much by Trish Cooke is a personal favourite I just love doing the caribean voices

Monkey Do-Alberg

Alfie and Annie Rose stories.

and so many more

I hate ...can't you sleep little bear and Guess how much I love you

I hate ...can't you sleep little bear and Guess how much I love you

Why is that biccy? Sometimes I think its what we dislike that defines us as much (if not more) than what we love!

Told them too many times-BORING

Expected to like them and their sentiment-so many other great stories that tell the same.I think they are very twee Widen your choice people!

Can't you sleep- goes on and on and never seems to get anywhere.

I like a story with HUMF like monkey do or gruffalo.Something gripping and stimulating.

I don't like to dumb down stories.

I also like to re-tell stories especially mythical, famous people stories and traditional tales without a book-drama and props!!

A story is for telling, a book is for reading aloud.

(sorry bad day stuck in a car with 2 teenage daughters :o )

I like a story with HUMF like monkey do or gruffalo.Something gripping and stimulating.

I don't like to dumb down stories.

I also like to re-tell stories especially mythical, famous people stories and traditional tales without a book-drama and props!!

A story is for telling, a book is for reading aloud.

Are you available for hire :o ?

xD I do it for free for people who grovel. :o I used to go into my children's primary school if the dates worked and I was off and they weren't and worked my way through the school.Have you every tried nursery children with The Tempest/Robert the Bruce/The sun and the wind/Icarus they lap it up.I do a great witch with room on my broom but then thats type casting !!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)