Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The 'w' Word

HappyMaz

I love the example in the introduction of "L is for sheep"

A child has completed a phonics work sheet which requires him to match the pictures to the words which all begin with L. He does this and is sent to show the head his wonderful work. She says L is for? to which he answers lolly. L is for? ladder . L is for? he studies the picture and thinks hard and beaming says "L is for sheep" pointing to the lamb...

Hi there

Thank you for all your input - and for everyone who has ever contributed to a discussion about worksheets on this Forum!

I wonder if you would find time to look at my resulting questionnaire and provide some feedback please? It is designed to explore practitioners' views on the usefulness of worksheets, and is two sided - the respondee needs to fill in only one side, depending on whether s/he thinks worksheets are suitable for use in pre-school or not.

Can you let me know if I have missed anything glaringly obvious? Would you find it easy/difficult to fill out or would you get bored half way through?

I had a long discussion with myself about whether I should just give a blank space for people to justify their decision about worksheets, but in the end I decided this might be intimidating for some people and have asked people to tick as many statements as they agree with, and give them a small space to add in any extra comments if they wish.

I wondered whether people's views of worksheets are affected by their level of qualification or their length of experience - a nice way to test a few stereotypes there, I think :o I have included 'Qualified Teacher' in the list of qualifications because I know of at least one qualified teacher working in a pre-school group and wanted everyone to have a box they could tick.

I have decided to send this questionnaire out to all sessional pre-schools in my Borough, and only to those groups who do not follow a particular curricular perspective (so no Montessori groups, for example). In other words, groups just like mine! That should enable me to compare what we do in my group to others across the Borough: and then find out if the 'action' part of my research confirms or challenges the most widely held views of worksheets, either positive or negative.

A covering letter will explain what I mean by 'worksheet' - and perhaps show an example. There will be a separate questionnaire designed to find out how many groups use worksheets, for what age groups of children, how frequently etc.

I was wondering whether to offer some form of incentive for sending the questionnaires back, and I will enclose a stamped addressed envelope to send the batch of questionnaires back.

Thank you for your support!

Maz

Worksheet_questionnaire.doc

Firstly let me say that I think it is very well laid out, crystal clear in terms of what you have to do and certainly wouldn't be off-putting to fill in. The only criticism I have is about the statements on the two sides of the sheet. The 'for' statements are laid out in very simplistic terms whilst the 'against' ones are much more detailed and in depth. I think this inconsistency weights it against worksheets at the outset - do I show myself to be a fairly shallow thinker or someone with more intelligence to think in depth? xD

The promise of a glass of wine once completed would be a good incentive to me but I guess it would be difficult to post out. :o

The 'for' statements are laid out in very simplistic terms whilst the 'against' ones are much more detailed and in depth. I think this inconsistency weights it against worksheets at the outset - do I show myself to be a fairly shallow thinker or someone with more intelligence to think in depth? xD

The promise of a glass of wine once completed would be a good incentive to me but I guess it would be difficult to post out. :o

Good point! I did find it more difficult to balance the two. I took that as my own failing to put my thoughts in order - didn't imagine it would lead respondees to think that way!

Thanks for that - am on the case!

As for the wine - since I am only approaching local groups I could easily deliver!

Maz

So how do these sound then? Here are the re-written 'against' statements:-

• Success relies on getting the 'right' answer set by adults
  • Children need good reading and writing skills to do them
  • Their purpose is not always clear to children
  • Children see them as 'work' and not playful experiences

Any better?

Maz

Looks really easy on the eye. Which encourages people to fill them in

If i were to do it, i might put in on the plus side of work sheets something about being able to assess the children.

I HATE worksheets they totally surpress creativity, but i do believe some setting use them as an assessment tool! WRONG in my eyes.

I'd fill it in maz, it was clear to me, but I think that those of us on here who think alike will probably be rather biased anyway. The change you've made does balance it out more too. I'm just wondering whether people will be honest, some people use them, knowing they shouldnt and so might fill in the side against them. Is the form being given to the manager only, are you hoping to get feedback from all staff?

Hope you get loads back. A cheap bottle of plonk or a big bag of sweets might go down well. :o

Thanks Rea, for the feedback.

I am going to give a basic form to the setting leader - just to confirm whether they use worksheets in their setting, with what age group and how often etc. Then there will be a set of questionnaires for staff to fill in to give their views on whether they like them or not. I'm hoping the setting leader will also fill in his/her views too!

The only problem with this is that I wonder if the setting leader might be tempted to 'weed out' those questionnaires whose views don't follow the group's ethos - but I'm hoping that the fact that it is completely anonymous will make that less likely.

Its difficult to deal with all these issues, I have to say. I just keep reminding myself that this isn't designed to be completely scientific - it is after all only a small scale research project. :o I can obviously address all these views - and the effect they might have on reliability of the data - in my research report.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Fizzy:

I went away to look at how I can incorporate assessment: I'm sure it was in there at about 2 o'clock this morning. Wonder why I took it out? :o

Wonder if this might do the trick, or have I combined two things which might confuse??

"They help assess/show children’s learning for parents"

There is obviously space for people to add their own comments too - that will be interesting to see..

Thanks!

Maz

I remember when i did one, i got so excited about getting the replys and seeing what everyone put in the comment box. (how sad is that)

We're sad together then, fizzy :o

Ha Maz, I remember the days of the questionnaire too!!!

My only comment would be that given the depth of conversation we have here about the issue, how many practitioners would see this as a for or against situations and how many might say.. well i would in this circumstance but not in this one.. or I would sometimes. I don't know if you have scope to add a 'how often do you use worksheets type of question or an opportunity for people to say when they might use them if they feel that they don't fall into one side or the other.. If it were me, Id be writing an essay in the 'other comments' box, cos Im like that....

I take your point, Mundia - and I have provided a small space for those who are 'unsure'. But I think if I offer too many alternatives I will end up having data that I can't analyse!

There's going to be a separate questionnaire for settings to tell me how and when they use worksheets, if they do.

Like you, I'd be grabbing an extra sheet of paper to add in my views. But then I am opinionated, frankly! :o

Hi Maz

The forms look great.

What about holding a cheese and wine and nibbles evening displaying results? I know I would be interested in coming along if only you lived closer.

Just think about all the leadership standards you would be covering!

Hi Shiny

What an interesting story! Do you think this might indicate that putting worksheets in a role play area which was set up as a school would be appropriate to model what happens in 'big school'? I'm sure the 'teacher' would have a whale of a time doing the marking - complete with red pen! :o

Maz

That has been my main experience of worksheets - we don't use worksheets in our reception class, but sometimes they mysteriously find their way in from other classes in the infants (what they're doing in there either is beyond me, but that's beside the point!) and children really love using them to pretend they're doing 'work'. This fits in with all the register sheets that I've copied for them that they love filling in in their role play pretending they're the teacher.

Some children do seem to enjoy filling in forms - it almost seems schematic - but not with the information that the worksheets are intended for, more in a role play kind of way. I wonder if for some children they feel somehow supported to do mark making on a sheet that isn't entirely blank, that appears to be directing them somehow as to where and how to mark make? You see this with children liking to write in diaries, and on lined paper - some children seem to enjoy using worksheets as another kind of writing frame.

But all this is not using worksheets for the 'work' that the worksheets were originally intended for, and I have to say I'm in complete agreement with everyone above who has said all that's wrong with worksheets.

And your research project sounds fascinating, Maz - do you think you might post a bit about your findings when its finished? xD

My 6 year old son started primary 1 last September, his teacher raves about him, great independance, imagination and interest. As i'm writing this my 6, 4 and 3 year old children have stolen my kitchen scales and have spent 1 and a half hours making play dough sweets, they have the loose change off the side and are happily playing at shops - haven't bothered me once -Bliss. My 6 year old has even made a sign saying sweet shop. The s is back to front, the w is an m, the e is ok and theres an h instead of a t.

Now i begin to doubt myself, have i done right? He is in a booster programme at school, he knows the phonic sounds but struggles to write a cvc word correctly, his letters are still formed incorrectly and he has found sight words a real struggle, who knows maybe work books would have helped - i am questioning this issue.

Don't doubt yourself!! The description you gave of your children playing sweet shops together is so lovely and shows such a lot of learning (I don't have to tell you this, I know, but when it's our own children we can get a bit worried). Your son obviously sees himself as a writer and is enthusiastic and motivated to write for real meaningful purposes - and when he's ready for more of his phonics to click into place he'll be ready to write even more amazing stuff - and more importantly he'll want to! This is not the case for all the children who technically are doing all the phonic stuff as they are 'supposed' to be, but have no enthusiasm for writing. And your children sound lovely. Loads of PSED in their sweet shop - I hope my children will play together so beautifully - and peacefully! - when they are as old as yours! :o

Emma

I wonder if for some children they feel somehow supported to do mark making on a sheet that isn't entirely blank, that appears to be directing them somehow as to where and how to mark make? You see this with children liking to write in diaries, and on lined paper - some children seem to enjoy using worksheets as another kind of writing frame.

emmajess this is a whole research project on its own! What a brilliant notion...

I'm sure that I'd be able to manage a post to describe my findings. I'll be doing a leaflet to describe the main points, so I could easily post it here. After everyone has been so helpful, its the least I can do!

Love the idea of a cheese and wine evening - now that would be an evening filled with hot debate... :o

Maz

Those changes look great Maz - I think at 3 in the morning my thinking would be more than muddled!! As for the cheese and wine evening, sounds great and such a shame I can't come! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)