Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paint

We are having troubles with the paint we buy. Despite adding lots of washing up liquid to it, and providing the children with aprons, it is still staining children's clothes.

We ask parents to dress their children accordingly, but have still had a couple of complaints, and been presented with a receipt for a child's Gap top for £17 :o

I am looking to change our paint, and would welcome any receommendations for where you buy your paint from. Also, do you use powder/ squirty bottles/ blocks ?

We use all kinds and not found one which does not stain,

You could provide overalls which cover more to help with the problem, always remember using mens shirts converted and actually still have these and use them for some activities.

Or could you not have an agreement or something written with the parents disclaiming any damage to clothing from activities provided

Think we have a line in our parental agreement about not being liable for clothing and recommending old clothes, or our t shirts etc .

Inge

We ask parents to dress their children accordingly, but have still had a couple of complaints, and been presented with a receipt for a child's Gap top for £17 :o

And how did you respond, Shelley?

Maz

they all have some staining power - always good with little cherubs in white uniform shirts in one RC school I taught in. Red and black were particularly potent I recall. I don't think there's an easy answer, just appealing to parental common sense. They'll have a hard job finding a setting where paint isn't used daily no matter how much parental choice they've got. Old shirts are good though or get those aprons with arms in?

CX

sorry.......no advice other than all the above! I had a parent scream at me once about my being a total idiot for allowing her child to get paint on her clothes, what was she going to do with them etc.......I suggested she keep them purely for wear at the setting, which totally blew her lid............how on EARTH could she take her child through the village in clothes that looked like they'd come from the ragbag etc......and i kept calm, and told her again that we ask parents to send children in clothes which are 'suitable for playing in AND which you won't mind getting the odd paint stain on'.........she then shreiked at me that 'well, of course, paint, by its very nature, IS a stain..any fool knows that' and off she stumped, moaning and shouting.She did have the grace to return next day and apologise, 'it was due to extreme pmt'..............and I graciously accepted her apology, 'cos I'm nice like that....

oh yes,............the important bit................she was, and still is, an art teacher!! :oxD:(:(:(

Edited by narnia

sorry.......no advice other than all the above! I had a parent scream at me once about my being a toatal idiot for allowing her child to get paint on her clothes, what was she going to do with them etc.......I suggested she keep them purely for wear at the setting, which totally blew her lid............how on EARTh could she take her child through the village in clothes that looked like they'd come from the ragbag etc......and i kept calm, and told her again that we ask parents to send children in clothes which are 'suitable for playing in AND which you won't mind getting the odd paint stain on'.........she then shreiked at me that 'well, of course, paint, by its very nature, IS a stain..any fool knows that' and off hse stumped, moaning and shouting.She did have the grace to return next day and apologise, 'it was #due to extreme pmt'..............and I graciously accepted her apology, 'cos I'm nice like that....

oh yes,............the important bit................she was, and still is, an art teacher!! :oxD:(:(:(

That is an excellent story!! Made me lol. Can I please use that in my next in house training!?

Guest MaryEMac

We use the aprons with sleeves but that didn't stop one little girl. After finishing her picture, she took off the apron(before we could stop her), and proceeded to wipe her hands on her beautifully hand knitted white cardigan. :o She then said 'that's what daddy does'. Daddy was a mechanic and wiped his hands on his overalls. I must admit that I became very busy at home time and left my then co-supervisor to deal with it. Mum was brilliant and said that it wasn't our fault. That happened several years ago, but I still make sure that no apron is removed until the hands are clean. We just get apron sleeves full of water now.

Mary

I've never found any paint - especially red paint- which comes out completely if it gets on clothes. Fortunately most of our parents are sensible enough to send their children in suitable clothes and we suppy aprons with long sleeves to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Sally

Checked back through our welcome pack and it does state about wearing old clothes, etc. Think I'm going to pop something into the newsletter to reiterate it.

Had a parent come in on Friday asking me if I had any spare sweatshirts as the 2 she had brought for her daughter had got messy and the paint had stained them......when I replied by saying ' that was the idea of having a uniform to wear to nursery...so your own clothes don't get ruined' the mum was lost for words and all she managed to reply with was 'if she does any painting today please put an apron on her'

By this time I was so confused by the conversation I didn't really say anything else but 'yes of course'. Wasn't until she had gone I thought to myself....she was prepared to send her daughter in a lovely pink cardigan to nursery for the day where even with an apron she will still get messy and keep the 'stained sweatshirts' at home just in case someone saw them looking dirty!!!!!

Parents!!!!!!

My sons art teacher said 'I'm the teacher, I know what to do, I've done it before, he has to do what I say'. And they say creativity is dying! What do they know? xD

Parents complaints about paint or anything else for that matter are never going to go away. In some cases at playgroup, I used to change the childs clothes so they could play properly, it was always sad to hear them say 'I cant paint today because I've got a new T-shirt'. Silly mommys!! We also provided a playgroup T-shirt when they started and more could be purchased if they wanted. Dad's old shirts are best though, unless there are copious amounts of paint that sink though the material.

Can you document what the child has been learning through their art activity to counteract the tirade that follows.

I didnt want to buy one of the photos of my youngest at playgroup because he was wearing the exact clothes his older brother had on in his photo. It just made sense.

The bill, I would bin. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)