Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Accountants

I'm on playgroups committee and last night some members were asking why the accountant needs ID. Is it usual for the Accountant to request 2 forms of ID from each committee member before he'll do the books? We've usuually had someone do it as a favour but we're going to a different firm now.

Also, as to data protection, waht rules are there on childrens information leaving the setting? i'm thinking of the placement secretary who has names and dob's on her home pc.

I've searched here but the links given wont work for me.

we keep a copy of names addresses dob away from the setting but it is on a laptop for work use only, which does not link to the internet at any time. Our accounts are on the same pc, as is lots of other data, and backed up onto a memory stick . Parents are aware of this procedure.

reason is that if the setting had a fire all would be lost if the only records we had were there. how would we then contact everyone?

As to ID really don't know as we have a committee member do the books or I do them, and only have them checked once a year by someone we know ..but when I did use a accountant he didn't ask for ID, could it be to check the trustees are who they say they are (if a charity), what good is ID if they don't see the person who it applies to? would they not need to see everyone to check it properly.

Inge

Hi,

I have just recently engaged the services of an accountant to audit my pre-school accounts and they asked for 2 forms of ID before they would take me onto their books. He explained that it was something to do with money laundering!!

Hi Heff, welcome from me too and thanks for helping to clear that up. So long as its not just our accountant asking thats ok xD

I think the data question will need addressing :o

Just to echo what Heff says, we too had to provide ID which was something to do with money laundering.

Also had to provide our solicitor with ID when buying a house then selling a house last year due to money laundering.

By the way, Welcome Heff !!

Hi Heff - welcome to the forum if I haven't welcomed you before.

The money laundering thing has certainly shaken up lots of areas of financial life. It can be hard for people to understand why they can't do things they used to without providing ID. I was able to take my partner's surname without completing any paperwork but some years later couldn't open a new bank account when I bought my nursery because I didn't have any paperwork documenting the name change. So it was back to the maiden name for me...

If only I had some money to launder.... sorry - horrendously off topic! :o

Maz

:o money laundering? is that when members of the household don't empty their pockets when putting clothes in the wash??

Only joking - from my ex-banking days 2 forms of id are required to confirm you are who you say you are. Required under Financial Services Act and also issues of security ie terrorism and money being sent/received from abroad to finance.

Nona

it may be that keeping them secure is the phrase which rings alarm bells..

Perhaps ask

who else uses the pc and can have access to the information,

is it connected to the internet..we all hope our pcs are secure but if som0ne really tried????

as ours are on dedicated Pc for preschool with password we have at least tried to make them harder to access

as basic laptops are less expensive these days perhaps a fundraiser to get one for admin only. You would not need to spend a great deal as the minimum spec would do, ours id 5 years old now and still copes well.

Inge

Afterthought.. also make sure you inform parents where and how the info is stored with written permission if need be.

Edited by Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)