Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oftsed Report Finally

laura

Well at last we have received our report today, despite me finding it on the internet 2 days ago!

We received Good overall with an outstanding grade for Protecting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe. We are really pleased with the result but so cross about some things. We really felt we should have got outstanding for Nursery Education and at the time we did feel we might appeal. Not sure whether we can survive the stress so soon again though! The inspector did say we were at the top end of good and nearly at outstanding, which is all well and good but it doesn't tell parents that.

As a reception teacher I have visited a few settings that received good and their idea of educating them was to get the children tracing over dotted capital E's, and they were doing it incorrectly anyway! It has made us feel quite down and that all the hard work we do isn't worth doing. We really do put everything into making sure our children receive the best care and education. We didn't expect an overall outstanding grade but recognition for our education would have been wonderful. Oh well, there is always next time!

Laura

Well done laura.

How does your inspection report read? Sometimes its hard to understand what else you'd need to do to get an 'outstanding' - especially if the report itself is very positive. Are there any really nice comments you can pick out to highlight in your prospectus/ promotional literature etc?

I know a few people on here have appealed against their inspection outcome, so I'll leave them to tell you whether the stress was worth the effort involved.

But congratulate yourselves on the fantastic job you're doing..

Maz

Well done laura, even if you feel you might have got an outstanding, your should all be pleased with yourselves.

Your report will have recommendation (s) on it that will have made the difference between the good and the outstanding. What was the gist of that, or, if you don't want to make that public here, can you reflect on the comments and see where a slight tweak her and there will make the difference next time?

Laura,

Try not to worry about it. We are in the same boat as you. We got three outstandings and 2 goods (one of them being for nursery ed). The recomendation made will be addressed as we enter the EYFS (we are just beginning to change over) and although we were bothered at first we have decided that if we address that comment in a BIG way we are more likely to improve for the next inspection. We too were told we were at the top end of good and it is frustrating. There was also a comment made in the nursery ed that hadn't even been mentioned at feedback and although it linked with the first we felt that was a bit unfair. To be honest there were lots of lovely things said in our report as I am sure there was in yours too and we are just focussing on them rather than worrying as it is a system that is hard to fight.

Congratulations Laura. As others before have said, try to focus on the good things they said about you. When the dust has settled you can then reflect on the recommendations and see the areas which might need some changes.

Remember you did recieve a good overall with an outstanding grade - a lot of people would bite your hand off for one of those reports.

Consider your back well and truly patted! :o

Congratulations from me too, :o at the end of the day, your children cannot read your report, or understand your grade but be VERY ASSURED they have benefited tremendiously from you and your teams work, and that's what really counts. xD

Ask your whole team if they want to appeal and go with the majority concensus, even if they choose not to you can let them know you value their work and believe yourself that they are all outstanding. :(

Peggy

Hi all

Thanks for you positive comments. For the education our recommendations were about maths and diversity. We do so much maths related stuff, but one of the comments was that although there is a maths area the children weren't accessing it. A lot of the children were outside as the weather was beautiful during the inspection week, what were supposed to do, force them to use it! Outside we had hopscotch and beanbags being thrown into hoops which they were counting. As for diversity we try and do this as much as possible and celebrate festivals and have as much multicultural stuff out as possible. She mentioned displays, but if we did this then there would be less children's work up.

I know my mum is torn as to whether to appeal or not and we will be talking to staff and parents this week. It would be the waiting again that would stop us appealing I think, not knowing when they are going to arrive and with the change to EYFS happening would we feel confident. Plus with baby on it's way I'm going to have less time!

Oh well we are looking forward to our Pirate week this week for world book day. We take the children to the book shop dressed as pirates to use their book voucher, we do look a sight!

Laura