Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Questionnaires For Children

Help,

Does anyone have any good ideas for doing a questionnaire for children aged 2 years to 12 years?

The one i am doing seems very basic and not very exciting.

Thanks

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum. :o When making a questionnaire it is important to work out what it is you are wanting to find out about in the first place. If it's everything then I would suggest breaking it down into sections that fit together and asking children about one thing at a time. Only ask them about things they can actually have a say in otherwise they will soon loose interest in voicing an opinion.

If you are looking for more exciting ways to consult with children then you might find this a good starting point. xD

Welcome to the forum Sue!

2 - 12 years seems a big age gap for one questionnaire to handle. What is the aim of the questionnaire?

Maz

I am trying to find out what activities they enjoy doing most and also to gett suggestions of other activities they wish to participate in.

I have been looking for parents questionaires, any ideas anyone

Hi

On the forum i found a really helpful reply to a parents questionnaire, just check the postings. I have just adapted it to suit the children in my care and there families.

Sue

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum. :o When making a questionnaire it is important to work out what it is you are wanting to find out about in the first place. If it's everything then I would suggest breaking it down into sections that fit together and asking children about one thing at a time. Only ask them about things they can actually have a say in otherwise they will soon loose interest in voicing an opinion.

If you are looking for more exciting ways to consult with children then you might find this a good starting point. xD

Thanks for that, that has helps loads. Glad i joined this forum.

have you tried looking into the mosaic approach, for creative ideas about listening to children??

approach is by Clark and Moss and is influenced by the reggio approach, can include

children taking photos of what they like (and at home if you want what else they like),

audio tours of setting (recording children walking around setting and commentary)

Pictures of what they like

Circle time etc...

I have used it for research projects that I have done and you get more of an holistic approach, very inclusive too as it uses different media to communicate

Essc x

I can only give comment on under 5's. In my preschool every summer term I would do a graph for all children to participate in. Along the bottom axel were pictures of all the activities, sand, art, roleplay, puzzles, slide, bikes, outdoor walks, dance, etc etc. Then each childs name down the left axel, the children were asked individually which activity they liked (smiley face sticker) which activity they didn't choose to do often, (Straight line mouth on smiley sticker), which one they didn't like at all (sad face sticker). Discussions of childrens thoughts were noted during the process. We also had some blank bottom spaces for adults to draw activities the children wanted that they didn't have, ie: swimming was one childs suggestion.

The end result was a graph which showed individual responses but also which activities were most popular (or not) within the current group of children. We spoke to the children seperately so that we didn't get children 'copying' each other. :o The children enjoyed the individual time spent with the adult, voicing their opinions. We displayed the chart for a few weeks and often referred to it in subsequant chats with the children.

We also did a similar chart with photo's of the staff along the bottom axis, asking the children what the liked to do with individual staff members, this was really interesting, showing a particular preference for particular staff to hear stories from, to pant with, to play outside with etc. xD

Although we didn't do it, this would also be an idea to use to talk about other children in the group, who who likes to play with, what they like to play together etc ( obviously results would depend on who was who's best friend at the time!!!! :( )

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue, :o

I haven't done any questionnaires for children yet but I think some of the replies that you've had above are fab and I will certainly take their suggestions on board.

I have an Annual Consultation Form that I give to parents and have attached it for you to look at, would like your honest opinions please....is it okay?

Thanks

Kat x

Annual_questionnaire_for_parents.doc

Hi Sue, :o

I haven't done any questionnaires for children yet but I think some of the replies that you've had above are fab and I will certainly take their suggestions on board.

I have an Annual Consultation Form that I give to parents and have attached it for you to look at, would like your honest opinions please....is it okay?

Thanks

Kat x

[attachment=4665:Annual_q..._parents.doc

Canonbolt

I think your form is very clear, sufficiently detailed without going over the top. Two things I noticed were :

you ask for 'frank and honest' feedback from your parents - I might be tempted to put something like 'open and constructive' feedback but that's just me!

Also question 12 - I might be tempted to say 'behaviour management' rather than discipline - just a thought!

Form amended lol !!!

Deb I know what you mean, when I hear the word 'discipline' the thoughts that come instantly into my head go back to my school days when teachers used to throw dusters at you and use rulers across the back of your hand !!!!! Not that they used to do it to me (might I add) I was a model pupil :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)