Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Foundation Status

I currently teach a Nursery class in an independent prep school. I am not a qualified teacher however I have a degree in Drama and Education. I really want to do a PGCE however, I can't afford it at the moment. Has anyone heard of an EYFS-Early Years Professional Status. I need some advice on whether or not this would be a good route for me at the moment..... x

CWDC EYPS

Hi

I am at present doing my EYPS which gives you a status equivalent to QTS (hope I am right with That) the EYPs is only a status not a qualification if you go to the CWDC site they have all the infor on EYPS and training providers I have attached the link above

Hi Hannah

It depends what you want to do in the future. If you want to teach in the maintained sector, you will still need QTS and the EYPS will not give you that. Have you considered a part time PGCE if they run at a college near you?

Hi Hannah

I work for a large nursery chain I manage day-care in two children centres and a young mums unit and act as assistant to the general manager of the company and I am at present doing the long pathway for my EYPS at the same time as topping my foundation degree up to a full degree

From the site Belle linked

EY - Relationship between EYPS and QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)

Q: IS EYPS equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)?

A: EYPS and QTS, are both professional statuses, but are based on a different set of skills and knowledge. It is important to note that EYPS and QTS are not interchangeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Most places run some sort of GTP training, but they can be extremely difficult to get onto especially if you are not already in a placement in school (eg by being a TA ). If you decide to opt for this path Hannah, you would need to find a school to train you first and you have to apply before the January of the year you want to start.

Another alternative is to see if anywhere locally offers a part time PGCE, some universities do, and you can still work and train at the same time.

Hi Nicola, welcome to the forum

Hi hannah,

Having almost completed mu foundation degree, i thought I would look into some other routes and found out that a full degree is equal to 360 ucas points however a EYPS is only equal to 300 points.

I am planning to continue onto my 3rd year and then looked into EYPS but even though I would be eligible to take the short route (3mnths) you than have to complete another 3mnths validation.

In our area you have teacher training courses that you can get paid for or oven get a grant for. As Mundia already said, you have the GTP but there is also a SCITT. Both only take a year I believe.

I personally am not too sure about the EYPS, as not convinced that in the future will hold the same level of credibility within the educational world. But who knows.

Talk to your local university or council for options,as they are throwing money at people to get EYPS.

net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)