Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Needed Please!

I am new to excel spreadsheets and am having trouble making one of my own for our petty cash. I currently use a two page sheet for each month and would like to get it on computer. This should make it so much easier to do the analysis, especially at the year end. Does anyone have something suitable they are willing to share?

Thank you in advance!

Hmm. Peggy is a bit of an Excel demon Lisa - hopefully she'll be along pretty soon. :o

Didn't know the 'L' was for Lisa!

It is pretty straightforward, but I use an accounting package so I don't have anything to share! But as Steve says, Peggy is probably the man for this job!

Maz

I'm quite good at Excel, but use Quick Books for my petty cash now.

Let me know if you don't get any examples. If you let me know which headings you need I could try to put one together for you. You could put a formula in to add up the columns for you. Or help you make your own.

Until now I have kept my real identity a secret just in case I say something contraversial and someone in our authority works out who I am!!!!!!! Anyway, I'm sure I'm just being paranoid! I'm not really that contraversial, honest!!

I have had a good go at the spreadsheet this evening and its coming along. Its working out the formula for the cumulative totals over 3 pages has got me stumped!! Might try and ask my teenager when she gets back later!!!! (Only if I'm feeling brave and wearing my bullet proof vest :o )

Hi 'LJW'

Not sure if this is what you want but ....

If I want say the total of one column on the first page to be carried over to the top of a column on the next page, I would type the following in the cell on the next page where I want the information to be:

=sheet1!H3

So..

= followed by

sheet1 is the name of the sheet, you may have given it a different name - use it's name.

Followed by exclamation mark

Followed by the cell on the first sheet that you want to copy to the second.

There clear as mud!!

Until now I have kept my real identity a secret just in case I say something contraversial and someone in our authority works out who I am!!!!!!! Anyway, I'm sure I'm just being paranoid! I'm not really that contraversial, honest!!

Well funny you should say this, LJW but at Uni last week our personal tutor started a conversation "I was on the Foundation Stage Forum this morning..." she recognised Hali and me!

Apart from wondering if I've been less than complementary about the whole BA/EYP thing :o it did confirm how small the world is sometimes! I deliberately chose a name that could possibly identify me because it would keep me on the straight and narrow!

Maz

Attached is my 05-06 petty cash.

The end columns show that I use business card, own cash, and cash withdrawals from the business card to purchase items.

TThe receipts are numbered as shown by row numbers.

In this example it shows that I am owed quite a lot at the end of the year.

In a 'good' system the cash withdrawals from the business account would be more frequent, preverably in advance of expenditure. :o

Hope this helps.

The calculations are continuous down each column, (and across each row).

I use printable area adjustments to print off as a whole document or per month.

Hope this helps.

You can add rows to each 'month' section, input data, then just select the first total cell of each month section, type =sum(, then select down all rows in this column, then finish formula with ), then press enter to add all cells in the column. Now select from the first total cell, along the total row, all columns, press ctrl - R to re-add all totals. Hope that makes sense and doesn't confuse.

Peggy

2005_2006__Expenditure___income___petty_cash.xls

Are you wanting to add totals across different sheets together?

I have attached a simple example.

Cell A1 in sheet 1 = 10

Cell A1 in sheet 2 = 20

I selected cell A1 in sheet 3, typed =sum( then went back to sheet one and selected cell A1, then typed +, then opened sheet 2 and selected cell A1, then typed ) and enter. This did the calculation of Sheet 1 cell A1 + Sheet 2 Cell A1. which = 30. :o

If you select cell A1 in sheet 3 it will show you the formula that Deb explained.

Peggy

adding_sheets.xls

OOOOH PEGGY!!!! You are so clever!! I've had a little go with a bit of success but the SUM bit is causing me some confusion. I will take my time to absorb yours and get back to you (maybe PM you) with some questions!

Thanks for sharing!