Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

been on a course today for letters and sounds- think it looks really good. Has anyone used it yet - had a go at any of the activities? if so what did you think?

We are using it in our school. Can I ask Reception people in your phonics time do you do any writing?

We organise our sessions as

recapping what done already

introduce new phoneme

think of words beginning with that phoneme blend and segment practically

have a go at writing the words

I have been using letters and sounds with my reception class since october. We started phase 2 and are now half way though phase 3. I think it is brilliant. Has really helped me to focus on high quality phonics teaching. I do 20 mins everyday following revise, teach, practise and apply.

I use ideas for games from playing with sounds and progression in phonics alongside letters and sounds- quite a lot of games are in both publications. My children love the buried treasure game.

Gwen-

I tend to do writing no more once a week in phonics sessions (normally whiteborads and pens) as I have a large number of children who aren't ready to write. I use lots of magnetic letters/letter fans etc to do segmenting activities and all but 2 of my 32 children are able to segment to spell cvc words even though they can't physicaly write the words. At other times during the week we do lots of handwriting/gross motor/fine motor stuff to get them ready for writing. I'm confident that when they are ready to write they will fly!

I've been using letters and sounds with nursery children since January and it really works!! It may seem odd but I've been around plenty of new initiatives that are rubbish.

The activities are very child friendly but some may need tweeking slightly.The only activity that hasn't worked first time is 'Teddy is lost in the Jungle' ( pg 10) -we used a maraca to illustrate louder/quieter but the children were still very confused so we'll have to re-visit that one again shortly! Have fun.

We have been using the activities from phase one in pre-school-although we did do some things very similar before. I like it and it has given us more ideas to use with the children

Linda

It is very effective- the children love the Mrs Browning has a box one :D

Does anyone use this with Jolly Phonics at all or is that a big no no? :o we have been looking at introducing Jolly Phonics as our present phonics system does not have as long a shelf life and we have got a bit stale with it.

It is very effective- the children love the Mrs Browning has a box one :D

Does anyone use this with Jolly Phonics at all or is that a big no no? :o we have been looking at introducing Jolly Phonics as our present phonics system does not have as long a shelf life and we have got a bit stale with it.

If you are using letters and sounds then that is your phonics programme - Rose recommendations are that you have fidelity to one programme thoughout so you need to ensure that it is used throughout FS - KS1 (I'm assuming you are a school because of location of post). You are at liberty to choose whatever programme you want of which JP would be one. But you really must only be using one programme thoughout.

HOWEVER - using the mnemonics from JP wouldn't copromise the fidelity, they just act as a good way to help children make the link with PGCs.

We've been using L+S in our LA for over 2 years now as a CLLD project LA and the impact on FS outcomes is huge. Now rolling it through into Yr1 and Yr2.

Cx

Yes we use it in our school, it's really good. We go up to phase 3 for in foundation stage, the DVD with it is also really good for teaching ideas.

I use it in reception and the children love it. We split the 32 reception children across three ability groups (2 groups with teachers and 1 group with a level 3 NVQ). My SEN/lower ability group have benefitted from the focused daily teaching and are now building CVC words within Phase 3. I also refer back to the games in Progression in Phonics.

I have been using letters and sounds with my Reception class and used JP for the delivery. Up until now we have had about an hour set aside for this due to class size. I have also dipped into PIPs and playing with sounds activities for variety.

After half-term the school I am in is going to stream yrs R 1 2 3 for 30 mins each afternoon and we have just carried out the assessments from the pack. It obviously does work as there is barely any difference between children in Y R and 1 (some yr2s), as the current yr 1s just followed JP last year.

I was a little worried about the pace and rigour but the assessment results show that the children cope well with this (5 sounds a week). I couldn't comment on previous initiatives as I am an NQT, but I have used other schemes in schools that have followed the sound-a-week pace. The only thing I have been worried about is the day being phonic heavy, but this should change after half-term.

Emma

Ive been using it since Sept and the results are amazing! The majority of my rec class working within stage 3 now. I use Jolly phonics too as the actions really help the c/ren rem the sounds

hi new to forum!!

really agree with positive comments about letters and sound we are using jolly phonics resources to teach it as foundation children relate really well to song and body action.

its having a really positive impact on childrens writing seem to be much more confident

i am really chuffed all those hours spent planning and making resources have been woth it :o

Mybe a silly question.

For those of you that have moved on to Phase 3 of Sounds and Letters. Are you introducing four diagraphs a week as the program is set out?

Are you doing this to just read the sounds or are you expecting the children to write them as well.... we have had many discussions at school and it seems an awful lot for the children to take on board in one go.

All my class recognise a-z, many of them read ch, sh, th, ng, oo, ee.... and some use them correctly when writing or spelling words...... Do I continue to add new sounds or should I wait until these ones are fully consolidated?

Thanks

Lorna

Thanks Marion....

That what i deceided and we decided as a school was for the best.

Although now had an Early Years advisor in who said that we only had to do phase 1 and 2 and phase 3 ws for year 1s..... its so confussing.....

We started Phase 3 after Christmas and have so far done 9 of the blends. Checked the children today to say the sound when I showed them the 2 letters together. They have not got them all and are struggling to put them into their writing so we have agreed to keep with these before move on and confuse them even more.

I've found presenting them joined helps the children see them as a single phoneme rather than two letters/sounds if that makes sense.

Hi there!

Am using L+S and using the songs/actions from JP in YR. Love it! Have just trained the Nursery today in the 7 aspects of Phase One also, so hoping to see the benefits of that in Sept. (AM LIT and FS co-ord)

Like Marion, I teach 2 digraphs a week and they seem to be able to blend and segment using the appropriate phoneme/grapheme. I've sellotaped the digraphs together because they are difficult to find (not all digraphs are available) I don't move them on unless they are secure.

Starfall.com website is fantastic for teaching the need for vowels, lonely vowels, digraphs etc etc. It contains short video extracts and catchy songs. My children love it! I've currently got the 'Chunking' song rolling around my head! It also has some on-line books to reinforce the blending of digraphs etc.

Anyway good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)