Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

Hi there,

We use L & S in our F2 class, its going really well.

We use cued articulation movements alongside the sounds and this has proved really helpful to the children; as this is the system used by speech and language therapists, any children with speech and language difficulties wont have to learn a separate method. Children seem to love the movements and all of the children have made good progress, the majority just starting phase 3 now, although a small group began at the start of last half term.

We currently use jolly phonics in reception and will be looking at using letters and sounds- we are an overseas school and are likely to receive no training- I note most people use phase 1 in nursery, are their instances of children moving in to phase 2 in nursery- where do people start in reception- all our children move from nursery to recept in september- they have one yr in nursery and 1 full yr in recept- also are you using phonic readers in recept and what would you recommend

Mybe a silly question.

For those of you that have moved on to Phase 3 of Sounds and Letters. Are you introducing four diagraphs a week as the program is set out?

Are you doing this to just read the sounds or are you expecting the children to write them as well.... we have had many discussions at school and it seems an awful lot for the children to take on board in one go.

All my class recognise a-z, many of them read ch, sh, th, ng, oo, ee.... and some use them correctly when writing or spelling words...... Do I continue to add new sounds or should I wait until these ones are fully consolidated?

Thanks

Lorna

I am currently leading the CLLD project in our school. I am told by my LA advisor that Phase 3 is key to the whole programme and that it is vital that the children are absolutely solid in this phase before they can move onto phase 4,5 and 6. For your colleagues in year 1 and 2 this is even more important as they are more likely to be working within the upper phases. I am currently working within phase 3 and am aware that this will continue beyond the specified 12/13 weeks suggested, probably well into summer term. The project has been a huge success and the children love it. The parents also love it and are seeing huge improvements at home. This year I have 19 siblings in class and so for those parents they can see a difference in the skills of these children compared to their older sibling. Exciting stuff!! Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

I too am using Letters and sounds with my Reception class - I can't believe the difference it is making and neither can the Parents. The children are so much more confident - we also use the rigby star interactive white board programme - mainly in KS1 - but I use the games and magnetic letters board to support my teaching.

I m about to start a new job after Easter and I will be using L & S, I wanted to ask how do you do the planning? I have looked at the LCP phonics planning, has anyone used it?

I use L&S and its great.

I'm finding Phase 3 a bit too intense too intense fro the Reception children so am spending longer than it says

I use the format in the document and highlight the games and sctivities to use

Writing happens every week on a Thurs/Fri

Good luck with it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)