Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Soap Flakes

Finally found some soap flakes.....have used them before but the consistency wasn't right. Read somewhere...magazine i think that if you soak them over night they work better. Has anyone else done this?

How funny i went to asda today to get some but they didnt have any. Then i couldnt remember what they were called. when i have made it in the past, i put the flakes in the water tray mix it with some luke warm water then covered the tray with a black bin liner and left it over night, worked really well.

P.s where did you get yours? and what are they called again thanks ger

How funny i went to asda today to get some but they didnt have any. Then i couldnt remember what they were called. when i have made it in the past, i put the flakes in the water tray mix it with some luke warm water then covered the tray with a black bin liner and left it over night, worked really well.

P.s where did you get yours? and what are they called again thanks ger

Got mine from Tesco.....the name on the box says.Granny's original pure gentle soap flakes.

Narnia - when we used soapflakes my colleague was all for pouring them down the sink and I was more than a little scared...had visions of all the drain covers in the immediate vicinity emitting clouds of bubbles!! As usual she took absolutely no notice of me and it was fine!!

depends how thick the mix is... it can often 'diappear' during the day on childrens hands and in the sink when rinsing hands, but any left we scoup out and put into a bag in the bin.

Just make sure all children rinse hands well after using it as it can be an irritant,

BTW to make it we just get children to use a whisk with the flakes in warm water, works well for us.

(Not seen Lux Flakes for years)

Inge

:o What a success the soap flakes were today...not sure if we got or what the consistency should have been like but it worked well whatever it was!!!! The children were engaged in this activity for ages and ages and the descriptive language that was being used was great....if you haven't done soap flakes before or not for a long time go for it.....we have left them in the tuff spot to see what it's like in the morning.

I've attached some photo's for you to see.......

post-8412-1201537869_thumb.jpg

post-8412-1201537901_thumb.jpg

post-8412-1201537938_thumb.jpg

They no longer make LUX flakes but some supermarkets have filled the gap with their own lable.I also make it in a bucket with hot water about 1 hour before the children arrive and whisk with a balloon whisk.Means its still warm for use.

HI

What a lovely activity idea. the pictures are lovely.

I like the children of the world display / picture in the background, what is it about or where did you get it from.

Dawn

HI

What a lovely activity idea. the pictures are lovely.

I like the children of the world display / picture in the background, what is it about or where did you get it from.

Dawn

Hi Dawn, we made it ourselves. We have quite a mixed bunch of children from many different parts of the world...they also love hand printing so we thought we would combine the two and do this poster.

All the children did their hands( its on the other side of the window aswell) around the edge of the paper...we had a map of the world we brought from a book shop for about 1.50 and just put it all together. I'm glad you like it. We all decided on the title...

'Children of the world join hands" at circle time.

mrsb

Thanks for sharing your phots and ideas Mrsb. I'm going straight down to Tesco to get some soap flakes! We haven't done it for a while and I'd forgotten how much the children (and staff) enjoy it. :o

Ratio depends on how thichk you want it to be... we just whisk in water until it is how we want it on the day... we do sometimes add just enough water to make a stiff mix and children can then model with it.. many made soap snowman to take home. (Or soap rocks!) others made a sort of mouse!

Inge

It thickens on standing so you can get caught in the 'it's not working' trap and adding more soap flakes .Then when you want to use it its stuck in the bottom of the bucket!!

• 2 weeks later...
We all love soap flakes at our setting, but when we ran out recently, we found that grated baby soap works just as well, it's cheaper and kinder to the childrens skin!!

What a good tip....thanks eeka72. Did you let the children help grate the soap? How many bars did you need?

short history lesson coming up, when I was a teaching assistant we did this to use in a peggy tub. this is of course the pre runner to a washing machine and soap powder powered by elbow grease. it washed socks brilliantly.

sue

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy soap flakes from one of the cataloges TTS I think. We just added it to the water tray with some whisks, about half a pack I think. The next day we added red colouring and icecream tubs scoops etc and the children were making cakes , icecream etc

Womble

• 1 month later...
What a good tip....thanks eeka72. Did you let the children help grate the soap? How many bars did you need?

Oops, sorry it's taken so long to reply..... you know how busy things get.

The children did grate the soap, very well in fact and with no cut fingers. We use about two thirds of a bar, but it really depends on what consistancy you want.

It's such fun, even our youngest 10 month baby enjoys it! :o

We use about half a pack of soap flakes in a recycled powder paint bucket... Whisk with hot water until dissolved then top up with cold and leave overnight. It seems really thick when it first comes out of the tub but as soon as it gets played with it becomes more fluffy. If you want it really fluffy keep going back and whisking as it cools - a bit like making sorbet!!!!

• 2 years later...

searched for this ----

I have a box of soapflakes but don't want it as runny as the photos - how much water do I need to add.

was thinking of making it on sunday night and adding glitter.

thanks

our children loved it with green food colouring and the dinosaurs - thier very own primeval swamp which then led on to doing the 'volcano' with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar !

Added bonus with the soapflakes was that when spilled and mopped up the floor was lovely and clean ! :o

Really wanted to try this but my new supervisor and staff say that we are not allowed to use them because it is too concentrated.

I may have to try again to persuade them otherwise!

Really wanted to try this but my new supervisor and staff say that we are not allowed to use them because it is too concentrated.

I may have to try again to persuade them otherwise!

What a fab idea, going to buy some for after half term, think some of the staff will moan about the mess but hey ho!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)