Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fathers Day

Just got back from a week away and haven't looked at any posts yet - skippy, yours was the top of the pile!!

Have you tried making a tie for dad? You cut a tie shape from card (just the knot and hanging bit) The children decorate it or use bright coloured felt tips (wow) phsycodelic!!! (I just know that's not how it's spelt!!!) When they have finished you laminate it and cut around it , punch a hole on either side of the knot and thread elastic through. Dads love it. Some, I am told, are soooo proud they wear the tie all day on Fathers day.

Sue J

Just a question, I teach reception in an area renowned for it's deprivaty (sp?) and have a high majority of the class without a father on the scene, what are peoples feelings on making fathers day cards?

A couple of things: Homes without a resident dad - link with PSE - roles of fathers and who is the father figure if dad not living there, therefore deserves the father's day card.

I have made the tie - but didn't laminate it. We did a big kipper tie and also a bow tie so the children could choose which.

And please - not all Dad's like football.....

Susan

hi there, Susan

(another one!!!!! :o )(that's an in-joke, not you :) )

Good point, my husband is not even remotely interested in Football - but show him a rugby ball............. xD

And hello and welcome!!

Look forward to getting to know you, you will LOVE this site.

We did the tie things a while ago - one child asked what a tie was, so don't ever make any assumptions! We are wondering about just having a baking session to bake a cookie/cake for the deserving party at our setting.

Sue :D

Welcome aboard Susan from one to another!

I've been resisting replying to this one, as I usually forget/ ommit to do anything much about this. Its often tricky with Mother's Day because a few children may be motherless but as it's more often the dads who aren't at home, I don't usually encourage this in case it makes life difficult! But I do give children the opportunity to draw daddy a picture if they so desire.

I do like the sound of the tie activity though and will try and remember that one. This year I'm not working so have a good excuse not to need to do anything.

My own father always insisted that we did not acknowledge this occasion. Now adays I try to have a barbecue, cooked by the resident father here, and he enjoys being given a bar of chocolate.(my Dad!) and my boys usually give their dad chocolate too but I rarely buy cards.

Golf is probably a much safer option for me up here in Scotland. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Scotland got through to Euro 2004. :wacko: xD:) (And I'm English and don't care :o:(:(:( )

• 2 weeks later...
Just a question, I teach reception in an area renowned for it's deprivaty (sp?) and have a high majority of the class without a father on the scene, what are peoples feelings on making fathers day cards?

Our Nursery is exactly the same so we tell the children that it is a special day and we are making cards or gifts to give to a special person that person being dads grandads uncles or even mum land we make the cards for that say to someone special

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)