Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With Letters And Sounds

xD please could someone help me with the letters and sounds pack i work with children aged 2 - 5 which phases do i start at?

also is there anywhere i can find out the diferent phases in simple terms as im confused lol are they certain letters etc to teach in each stage? pleae help a very tired. ill and confused practioner

thank you

tracey :o

Have you tried playing a sounds game with the children. The first stage on the profile (FS1) is "Recognises sounds in their environment". Many children can do this.

Or take them out for a walk what can they hear, The birds, cars, lorries etc.

Hope this helps a bit and that you are feeling a bit better soon. :o

Hi Tracey

You should be looking at phase one and using the games there. Have youi watched any of the DVD? It is really good with some lovely ideas, which are in the book but give you a good idea of what you should be doing. It is all about listening to sounds in the environment, musiacl instruments and sounds they make themselves.

If you look at page 45 of the book it tells you there that there is no expectation at this stage to be looking at letters.

I think either somebody has already posted on here about letters and sounds-I will have a quick search for you to find it.

Linda

pre reception age it would be phase 1 and if it is your older chn (reception age)then equalling the expectations for teaching of reception age chn in schools it would be phase 2 - 3 with an expectation of SECURE at phase 3 (same as ELGs) by end of reception so there would be differentials in your age range depending on which group.

The letter sequences for PGC are in the pack from phase 2 onwards. Phase 1 has a strand for aural/oral blending.

Cx

Edited by catma

We have just started phase 1 aspect 1 this week for the first time in our educational nursery. I was lucky enough to get hold of some planning when it was freely available on the TES web site which I have adapted for our setting. Basically my planning format started with the learning objectives which were the L & S document's Main purpose. I then divided up my the next section into the 3 areas down the side ie Tuning into sounds, listening and remembering etc and then going across the top the days of the week. From there I slotted into some ( not all) of the suggested activities into our nursery session. So for example today we have all been on a listening walk during our small grouptime (we took the camera and took pictures of what made the sounds we heard where possible for a display). Outside we have had the 'drum outdoors' activity plus small world play where we can do the describe and find it'. In our book/quiet corner we have had a sound lotto game and that will be out all week. Tomorrow in our register group we will be doing 'Mrs Browning has a box' and during story time this week we will tell at least one enlivening story (Lets go home little bear as it fits in with our topic of cold). Socks and shakers will be adapted and again will be done outside on Thursday. I have linked all these activities to the areas of learning. Underneath that large section I have a Look, listen and note bit where again I have combined all those statements from the document and also an Assessment one which gives the previous areas of learning eg for this week says Does the child distinguish one sound from another, respond to simple instructions and have a positive approach to new experiences.

I gave each member of staff a file containing the planning for each aspect and then adapted Marion's activity list so that all the activities we would be doing were in the file in order. I then put together a list of resources we would need. I will try and attach that for you. You will see that at present it doesn't have aspect 7 which I haven't completed as yet. I don't feel I am able to attach the planning as the base of it was someone elses and I understand that it has now been published and it costs about £40. However as said I did download it when it was free to do so on the TES website and have to say a big thank you to Nikki for giving me the starting point I needed.

BUT this week has been great. It has worked very well without compromising other activities. The children have enjoyed it and the staff have too. Unfortunatly I only work 2 days this week so hope that the good work carries on in my absence.

Just a note I bought a new sound living and learning sound lotto with a Cd and then as we played wrote down all the different sounds in order for future use. I also wanted to make my shakers so the children couldn't see the contents so I got mushroom bags from Tescos and put the plastic bottles inside. A trick I had once used when we were guessing the country the wine came from!!.

I hope this makes some kind of sense I think the thing is not to get to worked up about it as if you do it as a rolling program as we are once a term then you can improve and most children will have at least 3 times to access the activities

Now to try and attach the resource list

Anne

Sounds_and_letters_resources_Phase_1_cont..doc

Sounds_and_letters_resources_Phase_1_cont..doc

Hi Zambonie - sounds like you've got it just right! I have been trying to fit in the activities whenever possible! Have you got a copy of the proformas you use please? Wouls really appreciate the help!

x

Hi I would love to send you them but the original isn't mine as said so I don't know if I am allowed to do it. I have adapted they way I use it for us but the original grid is not mine. Maybe others could offer advice on this.

Thankyou for asking Zambonie. If the resource is freely available eg via the TES then you can put in a link to that and people can download it for themselves if they are members. But if I understood you correctly, and the resource is no longer free but has been published, you can't really reproduce it here as it would infringe copyright.

I hope that makes sense?

Thank you Mundia thats what I thought. I was really lucky to pick it up when it was on their resources. As I understood it someone also downloaded it and then I think I am right in saying put the plans for sale on ebay. This quite rightly prompted the original writer to get them published and good luck to them there was alot of work in them they certainly helped me to get started.

HOWEVER folks if anyone reading this thread has any stories they use as 'Enlivening stories' if you would leave their titles either on here or on another thread I started at the week end I will add them to my list and put the finished list on as a resource.

Anne

• 6 years later...

Hi Zambonie, do you know where I can buy the letters and sounds planning? I saw it on TES as well but never kept a copy. I did like the planning. Any help would be useful.

Zambonie hasn't been on here since the start of 2012, so don't hold your breath! Hehe

Well ... ... ... I have something that sounds very similar to Zambonie's L&S - I too downloaded it but then made my own 'improvements'. BUT it is still on the website so probably isn't the same one. So, I guess if you're interested you could PM me.

Guest youngrisers

Spent ages reading this then realised that it was the old DFES phonic books you were all referring too. Have found ideas on pinterest and with other colleagues looked at Read, write Inc. Jolly phonics and using basic stories works well too linking the sounds to the storyline. Phase one is the only stage we should be looking at in nursery/preschool which includes listening skills and for this term I am using a plastic snowflake for listening "Shuuu" quietly as a mechanism for gaining the children attention. Know it is not a large puppet or prop but hey it is working so far!

I found some great large wooden letters too which the children love to draw round and then recite the sounds of their name...

anything in the environment works as does animal sounds, bird song and the ordinary everyday sounds... ELC use to have a sound track game which our older group loved?

Hope this helps ..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)