Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emergency Treatment

Our parents have signed formed in agreement to us calling an ambulance and accompanying their child to hospital if necessary. We have been told that they also need to sign an agreement that will authorise us to agree to any medical treatment when their child reaches hospital. I have to say that we do feel uncomfortable about this, because if anything goes wrong we would feel terrible and the parents would probably blame us. Doing a quick poll of parents most have said they wouldn't sign it.

Has anyone got an example of a consent form that they use that I could look at or any ideas of wording? Is it correct that if the parents did not give permission when we arrived at hospital the doctors could give treatment anyway if it was urgent?

Thanks

Laura

I think you'd have to discover first what you and they are afraid of and then address it.

I would hate to think that, should my lads need treatment, possibly lifesaving, that people were unwilling to agree to it. Likewise I couldnt stand and wait for a parent to arrive if the clock was ticking against us. As to doctors being able to give treatment without consent, I'm not sure.

What can go wrong? Either way I'd say if things are bad enough for you to need an ambulance then you should also be aware that treatment may be needed. You arent giving the treatment, just the permission until a parent gets there.

I think you should go back and talk to your staff and parents. Its not a situation any of us would like to find ourselves in but refusing to give the go ahead could be worse. :o

I agree with Rea.

As a result of a 'near miss' with a sibling of one of our children we adopted a full permission form. A 7 yr old had a severe asthma attack at school. The school had signed permission forms in place and the child was rushed to hospital. The school obviously continued to try and contact mum, by the time they contacted her and she got to hospital her son was in theatre. Fortunately he survived. The doctors simply couldn't wait and the member of school staff gave permission for whatever was necessary.

We now have a parental permission form for emergency treatment.

At the top the form has the settings name and then spaces for the full name, date of birth of the child and names of parents//guardians.

It then says:

Declaration for emergencies.

I agree to the registered person in charge of the pre-school (or deputy in charge) taking the necessary steps to ensure that my child .....(childs name).... receives the best and most appropriate care, attention and treatment should there be an emergency or accident in the pre-school or while my child is on an authorised outing. I understand the registerd person (or deputy in charge) will make every effort to inform me of any emergency or accident as soon as possible after the event but accept that in my absence they may have to accompany my child .... (name)... to hospital in the case of serious accident or emergency. I give my permission for the registered person in charge of the pre-school (or deputy in charge) to authorise hospital staff to administer essential treatment until my arrival.

Underneath this statement there is another section which says:

If you do not agree with any or all of the above declaration please do not sign it but make your views known in the space below. The registerd person in charge of the pre-school will then discuss this with you and do their best to accommodate your particular wishes.

I do not agree with the above declaration and would prefer the following procedure to be followed for my child ....(name)... in the event of an accident or emergency.

I am not sure about doctors giving treatment without permission either but don't they take the hippocratic oath which has something about saving/preserving life. If the situation was that serious wouldn't they just go ahead anyway??

A good post Geraldine. I'm not sure of the legalities concerning children, but where parents don't wish for their child to be treated, for example for religious reasons, I know that the hospital would get an emergency court order from a judge to give the necessary life saving treatment, so I think that something similar would happen if a parent could not be contacted.

Thanks for the replies and thanks for the example Geraldine.

We will have another talk about this tomorrow, but of course we will follow the guidelines and authorise treatment if that is what the parents agree to.

quote "We have been told that they also need to sign an agreement that will authorise us to agree to any medical treatment when their child reaches hospital."

Laura, I'm curious to know who told you you had to get this authorisation, and where this requirement originated from. Is it guidance or law?

My permission form for parents is similar to Geraldines, however it includes all staff and not just supervisor or deputy, it also includes permission for a 1st aider to administer 1st aid, then permission to go to hospital. It didn't ask for permission for treatment.

This, I think is an issue which needs legal clarification, and shouldn't be left to 'second guessing' so I would advice contacting your insurers and see what their response is.

Be interested to hear what they say.

Peggy

im not sure of the exact legalities of what doctors can or cant do without a parent being present but say fro example a child was in an accident and was on their own and was taken to hospital surely the doctors/paramedics wouldnt wait for parental permission if the child needed life saving treatment??? so if we did need to take a child to the hospital for treatment would it not be the doctors decision??

It was an advisor from from our children's links.

Sorry I don't know what childrens links is?? Do you mean LEA advisor?

I actually like northenbirds response, makes 'common' sense to me, although as providers we always tend to take responsibility for everything so I would still get legal advice.

Peggy

Dont you become " in loco parentis" anyway although I have always signed an official permission slip as a parent when I have been asked to do so, definitely for school trips and possibly with home/ school agreements?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)