Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Chickens!

Guest Wolfie

Has anyone been watching the Hugh Fearnley -Wotsit programmes about chickens this week? I just wondered whether it's promoting as much discussion in other parts of the country as it is in ours? I watched all three programmes and thought that it made very good television and gave a lot of food for thought (sorry, no pun intended)!

What does everyone think? Are you all abandoning the "2 for £5" Tesco chickens? It would be interesting to see how the nation buys chicken over the next week or so and whether any new trends appear, wouldn't it?

I watched it and thought it was very good Wolfie. Can't change my habit as I've bought free range chickens and eggs for years since I became aware of the way standard and battery chickens were kept.

I must admit I have some sympathy with the people who said they couldn't afford free range chickens. Tesco free range are very reasonably priced but there are places which sell them for upwards of £16 and I can't really see how they expect a mass market at that sort of price.

But the main issue I think is the 2 for 1 offers. As I understand it Tesco more or less blackmail their suppliers to foot the cost of these offers as a condition of stocking their products. Which means that 2 for 1 is really selling stock at or below the cost of production. In that case it is simply not possible to compete and that 'loss-leader' strategy ought to be illegal. (I reckon... :o )

Not been mentioned in our staffroom I'm afraid.

TV Topics this week are:

Masterchef-pork chop with chocolate-weird

CSI-the miniature killer-disappointing

Shameless-very funny

Darts-No Ben Foggle!!!

Elephant diaries-sad

Animal park-humbug baby :o)

General

Alcohol-lack of it-how much we had at christmas

Radley handbags

Sale bargains

as you can see we are a really shallow bunch and don't go in for deep meaningful discussions at lunch (unless of course the violin teacher (male) arrives and then we can have a VERY deep meaningful discussion about his virtues)

In theory I would buy free range chicken all the time, but as its the only meat Richard will eat I find myself buying the cheaper versions, although when I did buy organic the lads didnt like the taste, so it proves there is a difference! Hugh Wotsit is great. But I tried buying an organic chicken and using all the parts for more than one meal like he'd shown in one of his programmes, but no-one liked the thighs, so I wasted loads.

I only buy breasts anyway as no-one will eat anything but white breast meat.

I do always buy english meat of all kinds and NEVER the really cheap option even if it says english.

Always buy free range organic eggs and organic milk, and organic beef. Seems strange that beef is cheaper than chicken :o

I was pleased to hear that the Government are going to abolish battery hens in the near future, so hopefully that will make an even playing field on the cost. Probably make it all expensive but then at least I'd have no choice. :(

Hope your hens lay well for you mundia xD

I think it has been brilliant television..............I would only ever buy free range eggs, but have bought the cheaper chicken having such a big family and can't always the free range option, but having seen the reality of it all I would rather cut back in other areas and buy free range - I am converted.

We are lucky I feel anyway, my husbands shoots and very often we eat free range pheasants, rabbits and allsorts :o - the meat is always lovely.

Edited by Guest

I watched all the programs and am converted to free range. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't ever really thought about how chickens lived before.

I'm looking forward to watching Jamie's program too, which I am recording at the moment as my husband is watching a load of men playing rugby in bright pink! :o

Missed the Hugh Wotsit programme...but watched Jamie last night. It has made me really think..I usually buy the 'cheap' eggs but now I'm going buy free range. Like Hali said I will cut back in other ways...not so many chocolates..that way I'm helping the chickens and myself.

I'm a vegetarian and have always bought free range eggs, even when we were so hard up and buying the cheapest of other options such as bread and cereal. It has been one area that I have never compromised on - no free range then no eggs!

I eat very littler meat (but couldn't go without my roast dinners!) so decided a while ago that I would buy organic/free range when I do buy meat. It does cost a bit more but I can eat it relatively guilt free! I think there will be a rush on organic chicken after the programs this week though!

Did anyone else get the letter from sainsburys explaining about their ranges of eggs and chicken?