Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Xmas Tree

hali

Well done Steve! I'm still searching for that elusive decoration that always gets overlooked when we pack away all our christmas bits and bobs................. its going to be there somewhere! Wonder what it will be this year :o

same here, packed up last year, all beautifully done................................only to discover THIS christmas that we had actually left a small ring of bells hanging up over my grandpa's photograph!!!Been there a whole year!!! no wonder.........well, it's away now!! xD:o

Yes its a very old tradition Maz, now almost completely phased out in some areas.

Its origins sprang up in the early 18th century when women were employed to clean the grand homes of other women. This progressive thinking eventually crept into the homes of the sprawling cretinous society, who in their millions started to sweep their dirt floors and wash their clothes. In the mid 20th century the women who had been dragged into this life finally decided that being a housewife, and thereby being married to a house, was no longer the be all and end all of life.

This new woman cast off her rubber gloves, threw aside the duster and became a dab hand at writing lists and notes for other people, usually her family, and became part of the human race. She left the house every day to interact with other like minded individuals and in so doing became fiscally boyant to the point where establishments which sold shoes, underwear, and wine were inundated with their presence.

Unfortunatly the results of this activity are christmas decorations left in place all year, piles of clothing in wrinkled heaps, food past its 'best before date' lying in the back of fridges and the wish of all women for someone to invent a dishwasher which can unload itself. :o

Thanks for the history lesson, Rea :o

Reminds me of a 'fridge magnet I saw once on the subject of female emancipation:

"And lo! 22,000 woman stood as one declaring 'we will be dictated to no longer!' And then enrolled on a course to become a shorthand typist..."

Maz

Unfortunatly the results of this activity are christmas decorations left in place all year, piles of clothing in wrinkled heaps, food past its 'best before date' lying in the back of fridges and the wish of all women for someone to invent a dishwasher which can unload itself. :(

I have one of those self unloading dishwashers! It's not very reliable though so I often end up doing it myself and I do have to fuel it with beer and copious quantities of food............... :o Not sure what I'll do when it goes to university next year. I think I may have to start training up some new ones. xD