Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pgce

Guest justinece

Guest justinece

Hi

I dont know if anyone can help or not but I have just found out that I have an interview for my Lower Primary PGCE course. I know that I will have to do a numeracy, literacy and ICT skills test. Does anyone know of any sample tests that are available online? Or does anyone have any old books that they would be willing to sell to me to help me through them?

Edited by justinece

I think that through your uni you should be able to practice these skills tests before you have to take them. There is also a book for each test which i reckon i might but to help me - but I know that at my uni there are computers set aside purely for practice of these tests.

We had a basic maths test at the interview and a written question to do.

Don't know if that will help or not really, I suppose every uni is different.

lucie x

It doesn't matter how well your training goes if you don't pass all three tests you will not get granted QTS.

All tests are available online to practice and they have to be completed by the end of your training year whatever route you take.

I was concerned about the literacy as I had not taken any formal english test since my O'levels! However you can practice as often as you want and take the tests as many times as required. ICT is easy just forget everything you know about using a computer and do exactly what it tells you to do! The mental questions in the numeracy are timed so I would advise you to practice those, to stay within in the time.

I would advise you to start early on in your training as the test centres get quite busy and also it gives you one less thing to think about!

They weren't nearly as bad as I had imagined.

Good Luck

S

Hi justinece, as everyone has said you can practice the tests as many times as you like, but you may have to take a written test for your interview too. Its quite common for PGCE interviews to involve a reading and writing tak and sometimes a maths task as well. Good luck with the interview, let us know how you get on.

Jester the tests were introduced because many people had done GCSES many years prior to teacher training, and they were finding that teachers were entering the profession without the basic skills to act as good models for their pupils and were often unable to cope with correct teaching of basic English and maths concepts. In my day of training we had English and maths as part of the course but now that courses are so short, they just test that part now rather than teach it.

Jester the tests were introduced because many people had done GCSES many years prior to teacher training, and they were finding that teachers were entering the profession without the basic skills to act as good models for their pupils and were often unable to cope with correct teaching of basic English and maths concepts. In my day of training we had English and maths as part of the course but now that courses are so short, they just test that part now rather than teach it.

I know and I can understand it from the point of view of someone who had done them like 20 years. I'm just feeling bitter about it. Its ironic that I have taught 4 gifted and talented children in maths over the last couple of years and have been praised for my teaching yet I'm still struggling with a GCSE!

• 1 year later...

I'm halfway through studying for my GCSE in Biology.

Luckily I have maths and english.Also been practising those key skills tests. Will all this study ever stop.

I can get a degree but am struggling with a gcse.

Net xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)