Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jury Service !

ive been selected for jury service, i currently work with an assistant ( my husband) who may at times as agreed with the parents be left in sole charge of the children.

Im hoping ofsted will allow him to cover me for the 2 weeks service and i was just wondering if anyone had any personal experiance

thanks xx

ive been selected for jury service, i currently work with an assistant ( my husband) who may at times as agreed with the parents be left in sole charge of the children.

It may not be continuous time you need cover for. It depends on the case you are called for. When I did jury service I only served 2 days of the 10 but I do know people who have had the full 2 weeks.

Is your husband not as qualified as you are? If he isnt then Ofsted may need proof that a suitably qualified person is on hand especially if its for possibly 2 weeks if he is qualified you'll need to look at your ratios?

I havent had any personal experience but I would phone Ofsted and ask them, get it straight from the horses mouth :(

Oh, and welcome to the forum :oxD

Guest Wolfie

I too recommend contacting Ofsted at the earliest opportunity and explaining the scenario to them. In all my dealings with them they are always keen to keep the childcare facility going and uninterrupted if at all possible and will willingly work with you to make that happen. Put together your suggested plan of action before you ring and talk it all through - the onus will be on you to prove that you will still be meeting the Childcare Standards in your plan, that's what they will be looking for. As others have said, two weeks is probably the worst case scenario - plan for and discuss that with Ofsted, if it turns out to be anything less then you've covered yourself anyway.

Good luck - let us know how you get on! :o

contact them early!!! ha ha we have had to move out of our hall as flooring is bewing replaced after last summers floods. We contacted the big 'O' 3 weeks before xmas as soon as we found out that we would have to move into the church across the road. we heard nothing until over xmas when they rang and informed us that we needed to start a new registyration we had to do crb checks etc on all staff. committee and fill in aplication forms as if we were just starting up!!!! We told them they ha all that info already but they would not have it...

So we are able to run week of normal saessions then if we cannot get back into the hall next week sessions of 1hr 50mins..how ridiculous is that!!!!!!!!

:o:(xD:(

Oh dear Hali, I could understand having to re-register if it was a permanent situation but as it's only temporary Ofsted in my mind are being 'beaurocratic'. This frustrating obstacle has further implications regarding funding etc, I'd seriously think about putting in a complaint. If thee was a child protection issue at your seting they would have an officer at your door within a day or two, so why can't they send one to visit to give the temporary accomodation the once over and save you, and themselves a lot less extra time and work. :o

Peggy

ive written to OFSTED and will let you know what they say !

I'd also just give them a phone call, saves you time to make alternative arrangements if need be, then let them know you've written and that you will need a quick written response.

Hope it works out ok with the least hassle.

Peggy

Yes, it's ridiculous...and extremely frustrating I imagine!! :oxD

Not if you have an assignment to finish, eh Hali?

I'm thinking of flooding my hall myself....

Maz

u could try jury service people i had mine suspended till later as it was during half term and i said i had fixed holidays and it was unfair it was durin this time

u could try jury service people i had mine suspended till later as it was during half term and i said i had fixed holidays and it was unfair it was durin this time

im happy to do it...its just the logistics, may be an even more difficult time if i have it deferred !

• 2 months later...
Guest peekleeds

HI I was selected for jury service 3 years ago but managed to convince them that due to childcare issues I would be unable todo it and I was excused. I work as a childminder and also have 3 children of my own (all of which I would have to have found alternative childcare for). I have no local family support and provided evidence to show that as I am self employed I would end up out of pocket as the allowances you can claim are minimal.

I also work for a local pre-school and my manager sent a supporting letter explaining that the pre-school I work in would probably have to close for the fortnight as at that time we did not have another qualified member of staff to cover for me.

I was also called for jury service about 2 years ago. I sent them a letter explaining that my family committments and childcare problems would make it very hard for me to attend. They duly sent a letter back excusing me - I didn't even have to defer it. There are occasions when having 4 children works in your favour!!

Sally

There are occasions when having 4 children works in your favour!!

Now there's a benefit I hadn't even thought of. I just figured it gave me the perfect training for running a playgroup. :o Welcome peekleeds from me too. xD

That was how I got into working in a playgroup. Only difference is that the children at playgroup actually listen to me!

Sally

I was also called for jury service about 2 years ago. I sent them a letter explaining that my family committments and childcare problems would make it very hard for me to attend. They duly sent a letter back excusing me - I didn't even have to defer it. There are occasions when having 4 children works in your favour!!

Sally

My mum was called for jury service 'some' years ago. She wrote back saying she could arrange childcare for her elder 2 children (myself & my brother) but as she was beastfeeding my younger sister would have to bring her. They wrote back declining her kind offer :o and she's never been called back. That was over 30 years ago.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)