Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water Jugs For Little Hands

Did the same and ordered for collection, worked well, ours is different to the picture and has got a ice block we can remove to freeze so we can have cool water too!! It just came that way same catalogue number, perhaps old or new stock!

Inge

I have collected the water dispensers and had a little play! The bottle has a screw lid with a hole in the middle and then a little rubber bung which you put in too. Then when you turn the bottle upside down to install it on the machine it doesn't leak (clever eh?). When you pop the bottle on the machine the little rubber bung is dislodged and hey presto, its ready! I also really like the tap arrangement. Unlike the big ones I've seen, this one isn't strictly a tap, rather a lever you have to squeeze to make the water come out. when you stop squeezing it stops! I'm thinking less spills, less waste......... I don't think it will be too difficult to squeeze as there's a dent for your thumb on top and your finger underneath........

I think I will have to devise something heavy to put inside the base unit to make it stable enough for our younger children to use effectively. I'll keep you posted!

Sounds very good - what is the capacity of 8 cups of water though LJW? I'm definitely going to get one for use during free play (if there are any left in any Argos store anywhere in the country :o ) but I think it might not be so good for snacktime - I can just see the children hopping up and down every thirty seconds to refill their cups....

Maz

quote Maz "I can just see the children hopping up and down every thirty seconds to refill their cups...."

More like hopping up and down whilst in the queue to use the loo ( after loads to drink) :(:(

I remember about 8 yrs ago when in an advisory role, pre snack bars, I advised a nursery to provide free access to water, their argument being children would spill from jugs, so I suggested a water dispenser. The next time I visited the group there it was in the main play room :o , only to discover that it was for staff use only and the children were not allowed to use it :wacko: xD

This topic shows how attitudes can change. xD:(

Peggy

Followed the link to reserve mine. Picked it up today. Mine has a black base with a small push button to dispense the water, unlike yours by the sound of things LJW. Hope the children can push the button as it seems quite hard. Will have to see. Will need to be up against the wall, for them to push against I think.

I remember about 8 yrs ago when in an advisory role, pre snack bars,

Oh Peggy you mentioned the snack bar thing! Your advisory role wasn't with the pre-school learning alliance was it? I'm currently looking into this (have a friend who keeps trying to persuade me it is a good idea) and there's lots of opinion but I can't find EVIDENCE!

Anyway: am off now to Argos to see if they have any dispensers left - especially if they contain four pints - much more than is in our jug the children pour their water from currently!

I'll let you know whether the staff think the children should use it or not! :o

Maz

Oh Peggy you mentioned the snack bar thing! Your advisory role wasn't with the pre-school learning alliance was it? I'm currently looking into this (have a friend who keeps trying to persuade me it is a good idea) and there's lots of opinion but I can't find EVIDENCE!

Anyway: am off now to Argos to see if they have any dispensers left - especially if they contain four pints - much more than is in our jug the children pour their water from currently!

I'll let you know whether the staff think the children should use it or not! :o

Maz

No wasn't with PSLA, I was an Early Years Advisor prior to the current role being for QTS only. ( I was made redundant to make way for that government initiative - 1 teachers per every EY setting :( ).

However, I have had many years affiliation with the PSLA and I'd say it would be worth looking into working for them as an advisor. I think the role varies depending on the local Authority support of PSLA, in our area their funding stopped and most advisors now work for the LA instead of PSLA, but your area might be different. I have always found PSLA a supportive organisation to work for. xD

Peggy

Just measured it for you and its 4 pints or 2.4 Litres!

Bought one of the last two in Argos this afternoon - my ten year old loves it! Might not make it into nursery :o

Maz

No wasn't with PSLA, I was an Early Years Advisor prior to the current role being for QTS only. ( I was made redundant to make way for that government initiative - 1 teachers per every EY setting xD ).

However, I have had many years affiliation with the PSLA and I'd say it would be worth looking into working for them as an advisor. I think the role varies depending on the local Authority support of PSLA, in our area their funding stopped and most advisors now work for the LA instead of PSLA, but your area might be different. I have always found PSLA a supportive organisation to work for. :o

Peggy

Ah Peggy - I meant I was investigating snack bars, not the Pre-school Learning Alliance! Obviously I have an issue with clarity!

Maz

Hi

We've been using these for some time now and they work really well. After the initial frenzy the children now access them only when they want a drink and not just as another activity to play with!

We have two plastic storage boxes, one either side of the dispenser with clean cups in one and a red one for dirty cups, both with pictures on of clean and dirty cups...and they soon get to know.....'teacher we need more clean cups!...' We also have a special little stool that they have to sit on when taking a drink....that way we manage to avoid large groups of standing children all holding cups of water!

Also on a friday night we fill them with miltons solution and let them stand over the weekend to make sure they remain clean and hygienic. Then give them a really good rinse through on Monday prior to their use. We put a big laminated sign on them over the weekend warning they contain miltons! We don't want to be the cause of any upset tummies! :o

Just want to agree with the others Shelley, these water dispensers from Argos are really good, they cannot spill, paint, sand etc cannot be put inside and the children really love using them, so much so that children who never drank water are now guzzling away!

Teri

• 1 month later...

Can I please say a massive thankyou to Brenda S for recommending the water dispenser. I have just become joint manager at my setting and brought in the water dispenser as one of my ideas for improving practice and it has been a massive success.

Thank you very much!!!

can i ask what cups do you use with these?

plastic ones?, in which case do you wash them or bin them, or does each child have a cup?

Dawn

we have plastic ones next to the dispenser and our cvhildren are able to put them on a hatch to the kitchen when used for washing , but you could use a bowl, or allow children to wash them up after use.

Inge

I've been using a water dispenser in my childminding setting for a while. At first it was a novelty but now it's worn off. The water dispenser I have is a bright pink 'funky friends' one that was given to me but unfortunately the barrel doesn't screw in and the slightest knock sends it flying off and spilling onto the table. Another problem I encountered was the button you press to obtain water sometimes gets stuck and water carries on gushing out :o ahhhh not good. It's a good job the dispenser was situated close enough to the sink to avoid flooding the kitchen floor!

I think I sense a visit to Argos coming on so I can buy a decent one. xD

With only having a small amount of children I use picnic style cups and cellotape their name to them.

Hi

We've been using these for some time now and they work really well. After the initial frenzy the children now access them only when they want a drink and not just as another activity to play with!

We have two plastic storage boxes, one either side of the dispenser with clean plastic cups in one and a red one for dirty cups, both with pictures on of clean and dirty cups...and they soon get to know.....'teacher we need more clean cups!...' We also have a special little stool that they have to sit on when taking a drink....that way we manage to avoid large groups of standing children all holding cups of water!

During the summer we take one outside, and we then use disposable cheapy plastic cups, but indoors we use normal re-usable plastic cups and wash them up.

Also on a friday night we fill them with miltons solution and let them stand over the weekend to make sure they remain clean and hygienic. Then give them a really good rinse through on Monday prior to their use. We put a big laminated sign on them over the weekend warning they contain miltons! We don't want to be the cause of any upset tummies by anyone else using the hall over the weekend!

• 1 month later...

After looking & looking i have finally found some little jugs!!! i am so chuffed!!!! as i have been after them for several months now and i found them today in our Tescos for all of 75p!!!

Used them today, not so much milk or apple juice to mop up today so i guess it works! no they don't have a lid, so the "chef of the day" fills the big lidded jug with the milk cartons, then we decanter it to the small jug ready to be poured by the children.

Used them today, not so much milk or apple juice to mop up today so i guess it works! no they don't have a lid, so the "chef of the day" fills the big lidded jug with the milk cartons, then we decanter it to the small jug ready to be poured by the children.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Maz

• 4 weeks later...

Does the jug have a lid chicken licken? I think that's stipulated in welfare requirements.... itt stops the children from pouring half used drinks back in, keeps out nasties etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)