Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water Jugs For Little Hands

I desparately need to get some more jugs for the children to use to pour out their own drinks. I can't seem to find any in the shops - as they seem to be a 'seasonal' item, generally sold for picnics! Please can anyone advise me of where to try next?

We had this problem a year ago, searching everywhere. We couldn't find exactly what we wanted so settled for jugs from Lakeland which unfortunately don't have a pouring spout but the children do manage rather well with them. Think they are probably 1/2 litre capacity, they come with locking lids but we don't use the lids as it is not possible to pour with the lids on.

Would be interested to see what others have found.

I bought this water filter last year-I think I found it cheapest at the time on the Tesco website. Our children find it so easy to use and we have found it less messy. The children now access water when they want and do so independently.

Linda

I bought this water filter last year-I think I found it cheapest at the time on the Tesco website. Our children find it so easy to use and we have found it less messy. The children now access water when they want and do so independently.

Linda

oooh want one of those - great for outdoors too! Was it expensive?

Maz

Hi Happymaz

It was about £40, which I didn't feel was too expensive as I felt it would last us quite some time. The children realy love using it and I feel more of them drink water because of it than would normally do so-bit of a novelty thing.

Linda

£40 is quite good really - and as you say the children will enjoy using it. As you say there would be a lot less spillage than with our current arrangement (we have a jug and a stack of cups available for children to drink freely from during free play).

We have a jug on each of our snack tables so I'd need to think of ways round this (I can just see the queues of children waiting to fill their cups) - but I just know which children in our group would love it!

Maz

You've got me thinking now. The old standards said the jugs had to be covered. I wonder what it says now............ does anyone know? I do agree a cover is a good idea to stop them pouring the leftovers back into the jug but it can also be a disadvantage as they tend to tip too fast and enthusiastically and then the lid falls of and the water gushes everywhere! Oh well, that's the beauty of working with little ones!!

We use a water dispenser as per the attached.

The children as young as 2.5yrs old find it easy to use. They can't pour water back into it and it doesn't leak all over the place!

Ofsted were impressed with it on our recent inspection.

WATER_DISPENSER.doc

They are from Argos and as you can see are half price at the moment. I think I will go and get another one whilst they are on offer.

I can agree with BrendaS

We have had this dispenser for over a year now with no problem

Children assess water with no spillage and its really cheap!

We use a water dispenser as per the attached.

The children as young as 2.5yrs old find it easy to use. They can't pour water back into it and it doesn't leak all over the place!

Ofsted were impressed with it on our recent inspection.

WATER_DISPENSER.doc

They are from Argos and as you can see are half price at the moment. I think I will go and get another one whilst they are on offer.

This looks very interesting Brenda. One silly question. Could you tell me if you refil the water bottle when it's empty from your mains water suppy (tap) or do you buy pre-filled water bottles? If so how much are they, and where do you get them from?

Thanks

Debbie

Reply to Deb.

We just refill it with tap water. :o

Its really simple and very cheap!

In the summer we fill it and put the container in the fridge before the children come so that it is cooler.

Same here, we fill with tap water, although if we find the children are "forgetting" to drink though out the day We fill with VERY weak orange juice to gain back their interest in going to get themselves a drink :o

Reply to Deb.

We just refill it with tap water. :o

Its really simple and very cheap!

In the summer we fill it and put the container in the fridge before the children come so that it is cooler.

Thanks Brenda.

Cooh, how easy is that? Reserved on line for store pick up tomorrow, no queueing for me!!

Thanks for the idea Brenda S. I ordered 2, one for indoors and one for outside!

With the water dispensers....have they been broken at all with the children maybe being too heavy handed pulling the tap bit??!!!

I like to idea of these......it would encourage the children to hopefully drink more water.

Cooh, how easy is that? Reserved on line for store pick up tomorrow, no queueing for me!!

Thanks for the idea Brenda S. I ordered 2, one for indoors and one for outside!

:o I couldn't open the file - can you tell me the Argos number so I can look it up on line please? pretty please?

Maz

This was the internet page:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/s...enser.+2702258+

I just put in www.argos.co.uk

Then, searched water coolers and presto! So, you then click Order for Instore pick up or something similar and the deed is done! I'm off for mine in a minute. Good luck.

Thank you LJW! Was able to open that link. One question though - it says it dispenses 8 glasses which doesn't seem very much. I wondered if it would need to be refilled often during the session...

Maz

I guess I won't know the answer to that until we're back at work :o

Seriously, we are a small pre-school and it will probably be fine, once the initial fascination has worn off! I did buy 2, thinking we could use one inside and one out, maybe it'll need to be one waiting in the wings when the first runs empty......... we'll see!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)