Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Year Resolution

But do it in stages, hall then porch then garage then car boot then...in cupboard under stairs when car boot is needed for family holiday luggage. And there it still is, since erm? Last October :o

I wont do it I tell you, I wont!! You cant make me. I might need it xD

I was hoping you wouldn't notice that I was very quiet about my decluttering, dublinbay. :(

To be honest, (ahem) I have lapsed just a little bit (sorry Peggy). I have been throwing stuff out but not on a grand scale - just the odd book or magazine that comes to my notice. But today I am going to say...

"I am a clutterholic, (as my husband well knows,) I will declutter my home office first and then the entire house"

Having said that, I will need time - will you wait? we have a large house and I have been hoarding for years and years. Downstairs, to any visitors is OK - but upstairs - WELL - I couldn't take anyone up there :o ...too embarassed!!!

Peggy, I was going to sort out the TOP of the filing cabinet, not inside it - yet. What the eye doesn't see.......

I have also taken some photos which I am going to put on here, to show you guys just how bad it is. I will do it soon - I promise (got to tidy it up a bit more first!!!!!! xD ONCE I HAVE GONE PUBLIC - I WILL NOT BE MENTIONING MY PROGRESS - UNTIL I HAVE DONE THE DEED AND THEN I WILL SHOW PHOTOS OF BEFORE AND AFTER. I am looking forward to receiving my NVQ10 (with honours) :(

Do you know, last night myhusband was just about to throw the plastic Ovaltine jar away and he stopped. He asked if I needed it (he feels he has to ask as he knows that I throw a wobbly if something that "I might need later" gets binned) I reminded him that I was decluttering and said unless he could come up with some really fantastic idea for it then it was to be thrown away. He looked at it and said - "if you collect 10 of them you could make them into skittles - as they are a squat shape the children could handle them better" It was a very good idea so, I put it to one side. Today when I got home from work, I looked at it and very quickly threw it in the bin !! See, I know what I'm supposed to be doing :(

Sue J

Sue,

Nice of you to surface from under all that rubbish............I mean clutter!!! :(

We will, of course, allow you time to 'sort n' throw' and being very generous-natured you may have until.......

'pigs fly'!!! Come on, we all know this will be an ongoing job for the rest of your life.

Look forward to the photos, but don't tidy up too much before you take them otherwise we may not see the difference when you've finished. :oxD

Just make sure that anything that can be recycled elsewhere is! I had quite a decluttering session last October and we took a car load of stuff to the charity shop. They really take just about anything! Some of it was going to go to the tip but the charity shop ladies nabbed the lot. xD It felt so good when we left thinking we had helped out others and got rid of a load of clutter all in one fell swoop.

Sue, you are right about tackling it one small step at a time. The reason so many people give up on decluttering is that they try to do too much all in one go. Accept that it is going to take a long time but be determined that this time next year you will be proudly helping out others who are just embarking on a similar journey. :o

• 2 weeks later...

How's it going SueJ?, It's anly a week to the end of month 1. xD

Sorry but I'm just being a bit smug. xD Well I started at 11am and I've just stopped ( 21:55, phew).

Most everything out of my office and my garage into the garden, 4 large piles of recycle, rubbish, keep, and donate to local preschool. We cleared all the remaining preschool stuff to my house on Friday, so I just had to do something to make some room. :rolleyes:

I am really chuffed with myself, :( not quite finished yet but got a lot done. I was determined not to 'dump' stuff back into the garage but to 'clear and sort' the garage before putting stuff I was keeping back in. I had 2 of my children 'playing' with everything I got out, :unsure: one helped me lots :ph34r::ph34r: and the other one watched telly all day :o

Hubby decided to replace our shower which broke a few days ago ( why it couldn't wait for one more day I don't know ;):( )

So now I'm off to have a lovely power shower, (my back is killing me) with a nice hot coffee witha tot of rum for being a good girl :(

Peggy

p.s. Half way through I realised I hadn't done any before pics :ph34r: ( like you really wanted to see them eh? :wacko: )

I am not qualified to join in this thread - and the problem with hoarding is???

It is taking on all the hallmarks of an AA meeting (well from what I know of drama/comedy programmes :o ).

"My name is Marion and I'm a clutterholic".

What we need is a 'ten steps' approach to recovery. Now ladies, who can tell me what Step 1 is?

Maz

I was only thinking about your decluttering saga today Peggy. I decided it was time to sort out the wardrobes, cupboards and otoman.

I now have a huge pile of clothes, curtains, belts and hats ready to give to the charity shop, but while putting it all into a bag I took back a jumper and a pair of trousers.

Couldnt help it xD

Enjoy your rum :o

Maz , the first step is admission so you have already done that...

the second step is to call in someone like me! We are in the process of moving house, I am ruthless, its surprising how little you can live with when you needed to.

Step 3, is to start with one room at a time, if that's too hard, one cupboard at a time, or even one shelf at a time.. Ask yourself 'do i really need this?' Ask only once before throwing it, make the decision final and DO NOT under any circumstances get back in that bin, box or skip to retrieve anything, that is the downfall of the clutterholic. Best not to leave it lying around too long for temptation. Freecycle is great for usable stuff and collections of thing you no longer collect or have room for.(I just got rid of 2 huge bags of plant pots and two big boxes of tea pots!!)

STep 4 is to be proud of yourself that you have achieved step 3 without too much pain and suffering.

you'll have to wait for steps 5-10..

have fun!

step 5. Get someone else more ruthless than you to go through and declutter what you have saved. (preferably when you are out) Yes this is a repeat of Mundia's step 2 but needs to be done twice within the whole process. :wacko:

step 6. Don't let the children help with decisions, they are worse horders than you when sorting toys out, especialy cuddly ones xD:(

step 7. Don't, in any circumstances move stuff from one cupboard into another cupboard, or one room into another room, unless you know you won't have to sort these out again next week/year.

Step 8. Seasonal stuff - Now will those summer shoes fit your child/ren next year? No then off to the charity shop with them ( or attic if you have younger siblings :( )

Step 9. Attic - or any other storage space - List or draw a diagram of what is stored where,(xmas, halloween, summer, winter, preschool admin box to keep for 40 yrs :o ) stick list to the attic door. :(

step 10. Off to the nearest boot fair, you've got so much empty space now that needs filling xD oops, I mean you've got so much stuff to sell now, including at least 3 sacks of cuddly toys that no-one else will want to buy. :unsure:

Now, creative heads on, what can we do with all those cuddly toys, how can they be used? I keep the small ones to make story boxes ( using shoe boxes) but what to do with the really cute, life sized puppy dog, I don't know. ;)

Now you are all decluttered you can start decorating, now where did I store that lovely lilac paint that I bought 2 yrs ago??? :rolleyes:

Peggy

I am still here - and slowly decluttering. I tried to put a photo on here to show you a week or so ago but it was taking sooooo long to download I had to give up in the end. I waited absolutely ages - there must be another way?

I must admit I have had a bit of a relapse - my desk is untidy AGAIN so have to tidy it before I start. Today I am going to go through the drawers in the desk. xD

Peggy - this is going to take me a year not a month!!!!!!!! :o

Sue J

Sue J, It's going to take me a year+ too, just saying that 1/12 of the year has gone already. :o

I asked hubby what he thought the ten steps should be, he said there's only one step "Get on with it". Typical, not like us lot who have to discuss it first eh? xD:(

Peggy

Well done Sue J keep at it, I've had a bit of a rest today ( boy do I ache, used parts of the body that only decluttering gets to use :( )

So how many pens, pencils, highlighter pens, rulers, rols of cellotape, staples and staplers, glue sticks, packs of blu tac, etc do we need? In my draws I've also got at least 30 user manuals for CD, printer, computer, plus goodness knows what else, now if I throw them away will I need them in the future?? :oxD

Plus lots of cables, USB connectors etc, now what are these for??? I know, I'll look at the manuals before chuck them away. :(

Peggy

Well done to the both of you for keeping up the chucking out. xD

The more you do the easier it will all become................promise! :(

Your husband is indeed a man of very few words Peggy............"GET ON WITH IT" words spoken by a very wise man!!!!! :o

Seriously though ladies it is hard to clear out stuff and de-clutter so take your time, do it slowly, and think of the joy on someones face when they buy your rubbish at the charity shop!!

:(:(

Thought I'd up-date

Today I went below a psycological barrier.

New years day I was 12 stone 10lb :(

yesterday I was 12 stone :(

today I am 11stone 13lbs :(

Dropping below number 12 has been really important and know I can keep going....only another 2 1/2 stone to go before next christmas or 3 1/2 to get back to wedding day weight.I've been married 20 years in July and I'd like to somewhere nearer the person I was then.

Hubby is on course to have lost 3 stone by this week xD but he started in November.He's become an expert on Quorn. :o

WELL DONE BICCY - keep going !!!!!! :o

Of course, I'm too busy decluttering to eat so the weight should just fall off me - but it hasn't xD:(:(

My husband still keeps asking "Do you want this before I put it in the bin?" so I have time to think about what I could use the packaging etc, for at Pre-school.

Sue J

Well done Biccy, I applaud you for every stubborn pound, weight control is a nightmare - you have my complete admiration.

On the subject of de-cluttering; I think junk is the curse of the pre-school classes. I myself am losing the battle at present - had garden chaps in to put me up another shed (this is number 3) last week. I think hubby has been eyeing it up for football equipment... I have yet to break the news!! :o

Oh well done Biccy, are you going it alone or with a club? I joined weightwatchers last August. Wednesday weigh in I was 9st 8IL, yet when I went to the hospital on Thursday (pre op assessment) they said I weigh 9 st exactly :o :wacko: I'm only short so want to lose another half stone ( or more if I go by WW scales). I think the last half stone is the hardest.

Biccy you've done really well, keep the weight loss gradual a few pounds a week and it should be easier to maintain the loss. Unless you are quite short too, and a petite frame I would think you've only got 21/2 to go, not 3 1/2, you need some flesh on your bones to keep you warm :(

Sue J - My problem is everytime I declutter I reward myself with chocs or a Rum xD , but hey, the exercise I've done over the last 2 days moving all that 'stuff', I guess I've lost a few pounds this week.

Now when I get to declutter the attic I'm sure I'll find the electronic belt toner and the yoga mat, not to mention the full set of weights and dumbells :( . I never did buy a rowing machine or treadmill, maybe when I have more space......................

No maybe not, I'll stick to trampolining.

Anyone see 'Make your child brilliant' this week on TV, apparently jumping on the trampoline helps your mind focus, children should be encouraged to do it ( or have a game of footy) before doing homework. So, as well as getting fit (out of breath) and burning calories, I'm also giving my brain excersice as well. :(xD

Keep at it all you 'resolutioners' this is about the time resolutions are forgotten, so re-read yours and go for it. :rolleyes:

Peggy

Many thanks for your support

Unless you are quite short too, and a petite frame I would think you've only got 21/2 to go, not 3 1/2, you need some flesh on your bones to keep you warm

unfortunately I'm 5 foot and petite.I was 8st 3lb on my wedding day.I was overweight (around 91/2 stone )but gving up smoking 3 new years ago as done it.I was really careful the first 6 months and thought it was under control so stopped watching.I have NEVER been on a diet before so its a new experience.

I do however need some flesh on my bones for the northern outside plays

Hubby is going to Slimming world as the scales just kept saying ERROR.He's taken control of meals :o and lunches. I'm not going just doing as I'm told with no snacking in the evenings/no alcohol xD / and joining him occasionally on his evening walks.

It's 60 paces around the perimetre of the playground ( I counted) so doing a few laps when I'm out usually with stream of children behind with instruments.They really enjoyed the matching band I did when it divali so if I'm out they demand the instruments and ribbons.

Yesterday he did 'January' from his SW calender-Morocan lamb burgers

Today was a Rogan Josh

Tomorrow he's given me reduced fat pate with salad with mango and peaches for lunch-can't wait!!!

Well done Biccy! I badly need to lose weight as I am about 4 stone more than on my wedding day (nearly 38 years ago). I am thinking of joining a Rosemary Conley group with exercise – a morning session for oldies!!! :oxD

Talking of de-cluttering, like Mundia, we got rid of so much when we moved. We had the biggest skip that would fit on our drive, and made endless trips to the charity shop.

Did anyone see that Oxfam are going to give a £5 M&S voucher to anyone who takes M&S garments to one of their shops?