Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Year Resolution

My new year resolution is to DECLUTTER MY HOUSE!!! :o There is so much Pre-school "stuff" here as well as things I just can't throw away - "they might come in useful one day".

I make the same resolution every year - BUT THIS YEAR I REALLY MEAN IT !!!!!! (I think I said that last year as well) xD

Sue J

My new year resolution is to DECLUTTER MY HOUSE!!! :( There is so much Pre-school "stuff" here as well as things I just can't throw away - "they might come in useful one day".

I make the same resolution every year - BUT THIS YEAR I REALLY MEAN IT !!!!!! (I think I said that last year as well) :wacko:

Sue J

Well I've started on my preschool stuff seeing as I have a really good reason now to file it all away ( for those who don't know I closed at end of term). However, as I finished my yoghurt today I automatically rinsed the pot out and placed it in a carrier bag DOH, no preschool to take it too, so out of carrier into recycle. xD

As I sort through all my stuff I know it will feel like a major surgery to 'dispose of' items I may need for another day. :(

Good luck Sue J, let's do this together. :(:o

Peggy

You know, Peggy, its when it;s late I think about decluttering and I'm really enthusiastic about it. Come the next day when I've got a bit of time to start, I'm not in the mood and I put it off. :oxD:(

Got an hour now before I start dinner - but an hour just isn't enough - it's not worth starting now - perhaps tomorrow !! :(

Sue J

You know, Peggy, its when it;s late I think about decluttering and I'm really enthusiastic about it. Come the next day when I've got a bit of time to start, I'm not in the mood and I put it off. :( :wacko: xD

Got an hour now before I start dinner - but an hour just isn't enough - it's not worth starting now - perhaps tomorrow !! :rolleyes:

Sue J

ditto :( , I've even dreampt about how I'm going to do it. :o

Now be honest, will we EVER actually be in the mood to do it??

No an hour isn't long enough to start and finish ( which is what I want to do with all tasks), so what's our strategy then?

How about ( depending how you store your clutter) start in one room, do a corner at a time, then reward yourself with an hour on the forum, :( the other 3 corners can wait until you direct (motivate) me. OH, and no putting clutter from the first corner into any of the other 3 corners, IT MUST BE DISPOSED OF OR USED WITHIN A WEEK. xD

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR FIRST BIT IS DONE.

Peggy

My resolution is to not use supermarket plastic carrier bags and NOT leave my reusable ones in the car all the time!

On a more serious note I heard today its been 8 months since Madelein McCann first disappeared. I want to pray that there is closure for their family, whether it is that she is miraculously found alive and well somewhere, or sadly her little body is found so that at least her parents can rest. If its the latter I hope someone is held to account, so its properly ended.

Sorry to be so serious but as a mum I can't imagine what they have been through and the nightmare just seems to get worse and worse....

On a more serious note I heard today its been 8 months since Madelein McCann first disappeared. I want to pray that there is closure for their family, whether it is that she is miraculously found alive and well somewhere, or sadly her little body is found so that at least her parents can rest. If its the latter I hope someone is held to account, so its properly ended.

I've just returned from the area and that was my feeling too.When we were out driving around I found myself looking at the countryside-scanning the fields.It's a very disorganised landscape with many ramshackle outbuildings and disorganised field layouts and ploughing.It would be unlikely anything 'hidden' would ever be found.On the other theory is a fast un-intrupted drive on the motorway down the coastline to Spain.We saw no evidence of the campaign to find Madeleine nor was she mentioned until we arrive back at Manchester airport and there was a poster in the toilets.

I hope there is an ending either way for Maddie herself.

Peggy, when I have had a bit of a "tidy" before, I start in one corner as you said, but I take the "stuff" into another room (just dumping it). When I have say, tidied the desk, I will then start another area - but either get way laid by looking at photos, books, albums, letters or whatever and then realise time has passed and it's time to get dinner - so the tidying gets left.

Then later I go into the other room amd find the dumped stuff - huff and puff about it and then leave the room thinking- I'll do it tomorrow - but tomorrow never seems to come for decluttering.

I have got tomorrow - but first I have to do some planning ready for Monday and other things like registers etc, I would also like to go into town to exchange some pressies - by the time I get back there won't be time to start the decluttering - unless I do some before I go out. But then there is sooooo much to do that I wouldn't get out at all. :(:(:(

If I didn't rant on so much or - dare I say - come onto the forum so much I might have time to declutter at least one room.

I keep so much for Pre-school - for example hard copies of topics we have covered since - well - years. I never look at them now as we have a different system. Do I throw them away and regret it at a later date? You never know when I might need them!!!!!!!!!!! Like lots of people that have their own Pre-school, everything is here - every room has something in it from Pre-school I think. The cupboards and shelves are bulging.

Rant over - xD

I am in the mood to start - but - oh dear - it's a bit late . :o TOMORROW !!! I will let you know when the first bit is done Peggy.

Sue J

My resolution is to not use supermarket plastic carrier bags and NOT leave my reusable ones in the car all the time!

Sorry to be so serious but as a mum I can't imagine what they have been through and the nightmare just seems to get worse and worse....

Don't apologise for seriousness, There but for the grace of God.......... I don't read newspapers so haven't kept up with how her search campaign has gone. Your thoughts however have reminded me to think of others as well as myself. :o

Peggy

Peggy, when I have had a bit of a "tidy" before, I start in one corner as you said, but I take the "stuff" into another room (just dumping it). When I have say, tidied the desk, I will then start another area - but either get way laid by looking at photos, books, albums, letters or whatever and then realise time has passed and it's time to get dinner - so the tidying gets left.

Then later I go into the other room amd find the dumped stuff - huff and puff about it and then leave the room thinking- I'll do it tomorrow - but tomorrow never seems to come for decluttering.

I have got tomorrow - but first I have to do some planning ready for Monday and other things like registers etc, I would also like to go into town to exchange some pressies - by the time I get back there won't be time to start the decluttering - unless I do some before I go out. But then there is sooooo much to do that I wouldn't get out at all. :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

If I didn't rant on so much or - dare I say - come onto the forum so much I might have time to declutter at least one room.

I keep so much for Pre-school - for example hard copies of topics we have covered since - well - years. I never look at them now as we have a different system. Do I throw them away and regret it at a later date? You never know when I might need them!!!!!!!!!!! Like lots of people that have their own Pre-school, everything is here - every room has something in it from Pre-school I think. The cupboards and shelves are bulging.

Rant over - :(

I am in the mood to start - but - oh dear - it's a bit late . :o TOMORROW !!! I will let you know when the first bit is done Peggy.

Sue J

Sue J, I still have a scout hall ( and attic) FULL of preschool stuff, all of which if not sold will have to come to my house and my garage & attic is full already of all those items I might use later, planning ideas, in fact 7 years of worth of stuff 'saved in case of future need'. So lets help each other, we will do this together by posting our declutter successes as we achieve them, spur each other on. xD So, go on, fill just one bag of recycle before you go off shopping, I dare you. :(

This thread may last until next years new resolution time but hey, we will then have 'decluttered homes' :(

Peggy

My whole house needs decluttering, the only way I know of doing a good job is to move house, but as thats not on the cards, I've decided to have a bath and then go to the pub for lunch.

Happy houseworking everyone :oxD

Hi Peggy

You'll be pleased to know I have started on a VERY large wardrobe in the "office" here at home. It has deep shelving throughout and I have started sorting through all the old planning - goes back to 1994 ! There are 10 large file storage boxes plus folders, bags, smaller boxes, and other things just rammed onto the shelves. :o So far, it has been put in piles after I have looked through it to make sure there is nothing I may need. I WILL shred it later (DO I need to shred as it hasn't any names, etc) It all looks such a mess in here - I suppose I can't stop now, can I? I needed a change, so true to form (obviously same as you Peggy) came to the forum for a break - I won't be long on here - I promise.

Hopefully by the end of the day I will have achieved something and can report back to you. I wonder what you are doing today? Busy I hope !!!

Sue J

Sue - even if it doesn't need to be shredded for confidentiality reasons, shredding is a good idea because once it has been done, you can't decide that you need it after all and retrieve it from the bin bag!

And do you know a hamster/gerbil owning family who might like shredded paper for their bedding...?

Maz

Yes shred it but DELEGATE the job to the family whilst they wait for you to do whatever they need you to do for them because you can't yet because you are busy clearing the LARGE wardrobe xD

Once shredded preschool children love to tip it all over the floor for all year round snow ( just in case it doesn't naturally) :(

see pic :(

I delivered some sold goods to another preschool this morning, then I have spent hours trying to do a multiple send email to all preschools in my area to advertise my closing down sale. It didn't work so I am doing individual emails ( much quicker than searching through 'help' to find out why my 'group' email didn't work) :o

I shall be tackling paperwork tomorrow as I have end of year accounts to do, so will double up and bin all non essential stuff and box up all receipts etc to the attic for 10 yrs xD

Do you know where I can get any empty box files? :( :wacko:

hee, hee, actually I have plenty, just visualising all your empty ones Sue.

Peggy

post-3604-1199472879_thumb.jpg

WEll, I have cleared one double wardrobe. The shelving down one side looks very neat and the other side there are boxes stacked one on top of the other. I have 5 large black sacks and 6 carrier bags full of "not needed " stuff. I had 10 large file boxes and have now got only two with things in, so Peggy I have a surplus of 8 boxes. Now do I keep them or not????? Actually I will fold them down and store them - somewhere?

I found photo albums that go back to 1985. What do I need them for now??????? :( I'll have to shred them all won't I? :( That'll be another full days work. I have also done the other double wardrobe (I'm exhausted but very pleased to have made the start - and it is only just a small part of my whole project - I will have to pace myself - don't want to burn myself out !!!!! :oxD

Peggy, I remember seeing your photo, you posted it somewhen else I think - very brave - but who swept it all up afterwards?

Going to the recycling place on Sunday - you never know I might have some more to take if I wake up in the right frame of mind tomorrow.

It was Peggys encouragement that made me start the decluttering - so thanks Peggy.

Sue J

WELL DONE SUE xD

You ask who sweeps up the shredded paper, well the children of course :( ...with extra large brooms to make the job quicker. :unsure:

Well believe it or not it's taken me nearly all day just to put the Xmas tree down, all I had to do was undress it, undo the pole in the centre and it folds down like a flat pack!! :ph34r:

Also started to struggle through my office paperwork, trouble is every peice of paper I look at I end up having to write a letter for, ie: resignation of registration to Ofsted ( thought I'd better let them know I've closed :ph34r: ), I've managed to stick a new wall calender up for 2008 and I've only got 7 free days left for January, how did I cope with the business as well!! :(

I'm wondering whether to shame myself into 'getting on with it' by posting a pic of the current state of my office, and garage for that matter.!! :o

Dublinbay, as for Hoovers, one day my brother came to visit as I was hoovering, he stood back in amazement and asked "When did you learn to use one of those?" ;) then hubby got a new upright hoover, so one day I took it out to hoover the office, and believe it or not I had to phone hubby to ask him how to make the handle go down, I couldn't for the life of me find out how to work it. ( we had owned it for about 3 mths). xD:( Before you all think ugh, dirty house, it's not, I have a very useful hubby who does such things for me, :rolleyes: so I should really find time to declutter.!!

Next 2 days I'm at meetings, then the next 2 days, preschool sale, so come the weekend.....................................................they're not excuses honest, Please Sue, give me some motivation, :wacko:

Peggy

post-3604-1199741996_thumb.jpg

Going to be a bit difficult now, Peggy. Back to work today, daughter with just one grandson visited this afternoon, then a bit of paper work. We were out this evening and have only just got home. Hubby gone to bed but of course I have to come in here to check my emails (then can't reisist looking in on FSF). Tomorrow work and then straight into town. When I come home then I shall do a bit more. Peggy, you were the one to motivate me, so thankyou very much, I needed the kick - I have done a lot so far - still loads and loads more to do. Would you really post a pic of your office - to be honest, I couldn't do that - I would be too embarassed !!!!!! :o

My next step is to top of the filing cabinet - do I really need all those old Nursery mags etc??? Then I think I will wait to hear from you as to what you have cleared.

If I go quiet for a week or two it's because I'm working hard on decluttering !!!! xD:(:(

Hope the Pre-school sale goes well.

Sue J

Well done Peggy, there is a light at the end of the tunnel after all or rather, tidiness after clutter.

You are doing so well at the moment - don't give up. You and Sue are such good role models and if you both can do a dastardly deed such as de-clutter then there is hope for us all!!!

Sue, there is an EY practitioner lurking about the charity shops in your area just looking for those nursey mags of yours. YOU DON'T NEED THEN ANYMORE!!!! Honest - you will feel so much better when you send them away!!!

Keep it up ladies - we are all watching you!!

:o

Well I think the rest of us need some help from these two ladies. Perhaps they could set up a task monitoring and evaluation sheet for themselves, and then the rest of us could use these by adapting them to our own household settings. We will, of course, need an assessor, just to check that these things have actually been done. Dublinbay seems perfect for that role as she is fully qualified in fluid intake and armchair operations. I am very happy to act as the EV for all of you. I do have the necessary occupational competence as I did once tidy my setting. I could post a picture of our home office but feel that the challenge of de-cluttering that would demotivate all of you at present!

Nicely said JacquieL!

I accept the role of assessor to the proceedings...........now where did I put my whip???

I won't mention the fact that these two ladies were on this forum quite late last night when they could have been chucking something away in a bin bag. Honestly!!

Anyway, I am nicely settled in my armchair with a liquid refreshment (never mind what kind!) awaiting news on the 'Ladies who De-clutter'.

:oxD:(

What to do with your old Nursery World? I made a display with the front page pictures for a divider screen with the poem "Children Live What They learn", it featured in Nursery World letters page as 'letter of the week' and I received a very nice set of books for the preschool :wacko:

OK I have uploaded pics of my office, Hubby said, "What are you doing, a before and after pic?" Well, he's optimistic that there will be an 'after' pic. :rolleyes:

Go on Sue, I dare you, post a pic ;)

Must admit, my pic doesn't show what is under my desk, or what's in all the cupboards, but if you look closely you will see a hoover, hubby leaves it out just so that I don't forget what one looks like :unsure:

JackieL, hopefully myself and Sue WILL achieve NVQ level 10 for decluttering, verified by dublinbay, depending of course on the time scale to achieve. :(

but our first step is to admit wholeheartedly our addiction to clutter, so I will go first..........

Hello, My name is Peggy and I am a clutterholic...there that wasn't so bad :o (gulp)

I did wonder whether this continued topic should be transfered to a blog, but then I think it would be nice to keep it here to see if we achieve our New Years Resolution before December 2008 ( declutter the whole house and change our cluttering ways).

Goodness me the 'Office' pics took ages to upload, maybe even the Forum system is trying to tell me something, too much clutter to hold on one pic :(

I've just thought this is a very valid topic discussion for professional development, how not to let work ( preschool) affect home life, and the benefits of decluttering, which inevitably declutters the mind as well as the home environment, thus enabling a more relaxed 'out of work' life style xD:(xD ( just trying to justify the continuation of this topic on a forum designed for professional interactions)

Peggy

post-3604-1199825094_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1199825221_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1199825376_thumb.jpg

I don't usually do resolutions but this year I am sticking my neck out and having 2

1. drink more water

2. Im not going to have any regrets

Those of you on clear out duty, you need me! I am ruthless, as fast as I am chucking stuff in the bin, hubby is retrieving it saying 'we might need that...'

I work on the principle that if I haven't used it in the last 12 months I don't need it, no questions, no ummimg and arring...

Your approach sounds similar to mine, mundia...my motto....."If in doubt, chuck it out!" Works a treat but the rest of the family don't like it! :o

Congratulaitons Peggy on admitting to your addiction. The only way is up now. Well done. :o

I have the same motto mundia, but after its gone into the recycling bag, I'm the one to go ferreting through to retrive things I 'might need afterall'. xD

Mundia, I like your resolutions especially the 2nd one, no regrets, I think might adopt that thought about closing my preschool as I have just spent the end of last week selling off my equipment, a bit heart wrenching but done now. Only thing left to do is clear all the unsold stuff and rubbish from the scouts hall. Unfortunately quite a bit of stuff has now been added to my office space. AAAAAHHHHHHH

WHEN CAN YOU COME TO MY HOUSE MUNDIA, I LIKE YOUR STYLE - IF IN DOUBT CLEAR IT OUT. :(

Dublinbay, thanks but they are the before pics, and as sad above now even more clutter added to sort out.

Sue J, I HAD TO sort my large filing cabinet out today because I sold it and it was collected this afternoon. xD How's your filing cabinet clear out going then??

Just a few more trips to the tip tomorrow for preschool hall clearout then it's accounts work for me next week, self assessment deadline looming, :o then back to the decluttering at the weekend. :( :wacko:

I do beleive it will take me a whole year to do it, thank goodness I'm not moving house, I'd never be ready in time for the removal men / ladies :(

Peggy