Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Welfare Reqirements

Hi we are currently running a foundation unit at my school with 1 teacher in the reception class (who is also the Foundation Stage Co-Ordinator) 2 full time NNEB (1 who teaches a full time group of 13 max. and the other who teaches a morning part time and an afternoon part time group) and 1 other NNEB who only works mornings. We work in a two room open plan unit.

I'm a little confused about the ratios in the new early years documentation as nothing seems to fit with our setting. Can anyone clarify for me whether we will need a Nursery Teacher as well?

Hi Sally, welcome and well done for jumping in so quickly with your first post!

As I understand it, during core times (between 8.00 am and 4.00 pm), when a level 6 practitioner is working directly with the children and there is a level 3 practitioner with them, the ratio is 1:13 ( any registered early years provision). In maintained nursery schools/classes, with 3 years and over it seems to be the same. I would think your FSU would be counted in that sector, as you are a unit including a Reception class, rather than a separate Reception class.

As I'm not a Teacher and don't work in a school, I may have got it wrong - I expect someone who really knows will be along soon!

Sue

thanks for your quick reply sue! Foundation Stage Forum was recommended to me at some training in the week and I just logged on and it really is fantastic!

I think we're pretty much gonna be ok in our Foundation Unit on the welfare requirements but was a little confused about that one as no specific examples in documentation (i know they can't do one for everyone lol)

With the staffing you've described, I would agree that you will be OK.

They recommend the FSF in my area on training, too (and some will say - "if you want to know more, just have a word with Sue!" if they notice me in the session) - where are you?

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)