Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Day Nursery Issues

Guest Greenhouse

Guest Greenhouse

hi there

I have always used this site for myself working in Reception and in nurserys attached to schools,

however I have an issue with my childs day nursery.

He has been there for 2 months now, he still has no named coat peg, they still spell his name wrong dispite being gently corrected at the beginning of each week, he has no profile, I regulary pick him up and he has no vest on, and when I picked him up today he was wearning nothing but a nappy. I was told he had messed up his clothes but no one had actually made an attempt to dress him and it was unclear how long he had been like this. there were 4 members of staff in the room at the time so plenty of adults could have sorted this out.

I feel like he is not being cared for, am I being a over anxious mum???

Please help

Well I wouldnt be happy either but maybe we are over anxious together, I cant answer that one but my philosophy has always been that if I dont stand up for my children and look out for them then no one else will.

If you are concerned, which you obviously are, you need to do something about this and it may be that what you need to do is look for alternative daycare.

Hope some experienced daycare people will be along soon.

may i ask why you are keeping your child there???????????If I were you, i'd be asking some serious questions! My grandaughter was going to a nursery which sounds very similar to this and in the end, after some soul searching, we reported them to Ofsted, due to several incidents of things such as the little one not being given anything to drink all day, being left on her own a couple of times (when my daughter went to collect her, she could see Lilly on the floor,all alone apart from some other children.......and absloutely no adults in the room, until she rang the bell, when three members of staff mysteriously appeared from an adjoining room!!)

Please don't leave your little one in this group, unless they give you answers which seem plausible and which you are happy with.Coat pegs/labels aren't a major issue in themselves, but could be a smptom of a group which just doesn't care very much.BUT there is no excuse for leaving your little one like you found him today.They can't even be bothered to spell his name properly for goodness sake!! DON'T 'remind them gently'.....this is your child, the most precious thing you will ever have in your life.Stand up for him and sort this lot out!!!

I'm sorry to rant, but places like this make me really cross and are what give the rest of us such bad press!

Totally agree with Narnia if you are concerned get your child out but I would also look at putting an official complaint in there maybe parents who are not aware of what good practice is and so have no comparisons. Unfortunately places and staff like this give everyone a bad press. Go with your instincts they are usually right

If you have tried the gentle approach with the staff, I'd speak to the manager if you haven't done so already.

Don't forget that you have every right to complain to Ofsted if you think that there is a care issue (or lack of, by the sounds of things)

I don't think that you are being over anxious at all.

Oh goodness reading this does make me feel anxious. My son's childminder has had to give up work to look after her sick husband. She has been fantastic and has looked after him since he was 6 months old. Today I visited a day nursery and it all seems lovely but it is a huge step for me and my son. I know he will be alright as he is now nearly 3 and ready for a nursery experience, it is such an important decision.

I agree with everyone here, it sounds like it is time to speak to the manager and sort out all your concerns. You mustn't underestimate your gut instincts.

Best wishes

Munch

Hi

Doesn't sound good.

I would not worry about not having a named coat peg. That is not the issue here. If you go in with guns blazing about every little thing that is wrong, it will overshadow the real problems.

If they have changed your child they should have a record of what time it happened so ask to see it. I would ask to see the manager and sort this out. If after your meeting your gut feeling is that it's not the right place for him then pull him out.

I feel anxious for you!!!! as a parent and as a childcare worker. The coat thing not really a major problem but it does give the sense of belonging and I know our children love having their OWN coatpeg to look for.

The other issues.....go and speak to the Manager and if you are still not happy complain to OFSTED. Trust your instincts...

I'd find somewhere else greenhouse. I have worked with people who will say things like 'put his jumper back on, his bloody mothers on her way in'. and seen babies ignored. :o

Finding childcare is no way as easy as the Government would have us believe. I would talk to parents coming out of a nursery, make visits at various times, I know nurseries are busy places but preferably not by appointment, watch the children, listen to the staff, and watch their interactions with the children and with each other.

Good luck xD

As a parent you have the right to be concerned and need your questions answered. I work in a daycare setting and would be in a lot of trouble if a child was left like this. It is a breach of the care standards if there isn't a really good reason for your child to be left in just his nappy. It doesnt really look like there would be as there was 4 members of staff there. Speak to the Manager about your concerns, write down and keep dates of these incidents, so if you are not satisfied with the Manager's responses, take the matter further. Good luck and I hope your faith in daycare can be restored.

Guest Greenhouse

Thank you all so much!!!!!!

I read all your replies and I realised I was not just being a fussy mum.

Thank you thank you!!!

We have new nursery and we are all really happy.

A million thanks!

This site has soo many caring and kind members, give yourself a pat on the back FSF!!!!

x

I would talk to parents coming out of a nursery, make visits at various times, I know nurseries are busy places but preferably not by appointment, watch the children, listen to the staff, and watch their interactions with the children and with each other.

Good luck :o

Sound advice here: and no matter how busy nurseries are they should always welcome visitors. We have an open door policy - after all, Mrs Ofsted can walk in at any time, so why shouldn't parents be able to?

Glad you've got it sorted, Greenhouse.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)