Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fireworks

mundia

ohhh I hate them, I really do, yes my feet are firmly in the ban them brigade.

Ok so Im a pretty much live and let live person, each to their own and all that, but please do they have to be just so loud? Every year they get louder, and when it's disturbing my sleep at 2 am 3 am 4 am, enough is enough....

and there promises to be of the same tonight...and tomrrow...

ad I hate to get up to all that smog in the air, it was a beautiful day yesterday and now it's spoilt I cant even see the bottom of my garden.

Please can someone invent the quiet firework followed by the smokeless one..?

I agree Mundia - and they can be SO dangerous. In the wrong hands there can be and are awful consequences. It seems ludicrous that any one can buy explosives and set them off wherever they want. If it was just for one night, it would be fine, but it seems to go on for a week or more. We even had fireworks being set off during the day in the sunshine yesterday.

My poor dog is terrrified and we have spent the last 2 nights comforting him. He's just howling, crying and panting with fear. We could sedate him if it was just one night, but we can't keep doing it. We can't leave him alone for the whole of this week. Last year he completely chewed through the kitchen door - he was so terrified.

I'm with you Mundia (although I could cope with a single organised display once a year) but think they should be banned for sale to the general public. OK you have to be 18 and we all know all 18 year olds are grown up and mature enough to act responsibly! I walked my (very timid) dog at 6.30am this morning only to have him turn tail and head for home as a firework went off in a garden nearby xD They started at lunchtime Friday and have been going constantly since. Poor Buster has moved under my desk :o:( :(

it's an awful problem........................but I'm one of those who absolutely LOVE fireworks.........howver, I agree that they often get into the wrong hands (and of course, anything in the wrong hands can be potentially dangerous. We had a dog when I was a child (sadly, I am terrified of dogs !! I think dad thought it would be good for me to have one........hohum!) and I don't recall it being frightened of fireworks.............but of course, this was in a time when every family had their own firework display, limited to 5th November onlyso you could safely keep your dogs/pets in for the night. I think, again, this problem is down to a general disregard for others, which is becoming worse in our society. A boy in our village was making his own fireworks several years ago (his parents KNEW he did this.....the rest of the village only found out when he blew himself, and part of his house up)..........the result?? He lost half of his hand.....and he will never father a child (he was holding the tube he was filling in one hand and steadying it between his legs...............).I'm not sure its time for sales to be stopped to the general public though, I do remember the sheer delight of going to choose ours with dad and the anticipation of the night, with the small fire and some friends around. I don't know how you would ever stop them getting into the wrong hands, as they are only sold to adults anyway....it's down to those adults not to pass them on? I love big displays too and we haven't bought fireworks for years now, but that's largely due to how expensive they are.

I agree with Marion. I think they should be banned from general sale and only be used on one or two nights a year at organised displays. We live in the country so they are not really a problem for our animals. Except that the scout group from town who bought a few acres near us and have their firework display there. I gained an extra horse one year when a neighbours horse jumped out of his field in terror and sort refuge with mine. Our local town has an organised display at the local rugby club and the village has an organised display why can't the scouts go to these? We also live 10 miles or so from where there used to be a firework company (Uffculme, Devon) that went up with bangs and flames a few years ago and threatened to engulf neighbouring premises. So, it's not just their use which is dangerous but also their manufacture.

I'm with you Mundia (although I could cope with a single organised display once a year) but think they should be banned for sale to the general public. OK you have to be 18 and we all know all 18 year olds are grown up and mature enough to act responsibly! I walked my (very timid) dog at 6.30am this morning only to have him turn tail and head for home as a firework went off in a garden nearby xD They started at lunchtime Friday and have been going constantly since. Poor Buster has moved under my desk :o:( :(

I'm with Narnia on this one....I love fireworks & yes, I'm afraid the louder the better for me. But I do understand those that don't and the pets that so frightened. My family & I attended a organised display last night which was great and tonight gathering around a friends house for some more.

It's a shame that a 'group' of people have to ruin the fun for others and make this time of year feared by many.....but let's not 'tar' all 18 year olds with the same brush!! my own son would not be included in this group.

MrsB I did say "and we all know all 18 year olds are grown up and mature enough to act responsibly!" by which I meant that some 18 year olds are mature but you will agree not all are. (so much for my attempt at irony) xD

Suzanne I'm also in a small rural village but for some reason the sound seems to be carrying for miles on top of people letting off fireworks in their own gardens. I just can't believe adults will let off fireworks in daylight :o why?

MrsB I did say "and we all know all 18 year olds are grown up and mature enough to act responsibly!" by which I meant that some 18 year olds are mature but you will agree not all are. (so much for my attempt at irony) :(

Suzanne I'm also in a small rural village but for some reason the sound seems to be carrying for miles on top of people letting off fireworks in their own gardens. I just can't believe adults will let off fireworks in daylight :( why?

Hi Marion, yes I know.....sorry if my reply sounded off :o didn't mean to set of 'fireworks' over this debate!!!!! I understand what you mean. I'm so used to sticking up for teenagers because my friends all have younger children & often comment on .....teenagers do this & teenager do that and I'm always reminding them that not all teenagers are the same xD:(

I must say though it has been quiet around here...last night was obviously a busy one and probably the next couple but apart from that not much at all.

I hate them with a passion. There is no reason I can see why they are allowed to be sold to the public. They are explosives and in the right or wrong hands can be dangerous and cause an absolute nuisance. The sticks from the rockets are scattered around our road most mornings and my car is covered in ash. How can I keep my cats in when I dont know which night the local deadheads will be setting them off? And as for the ones who set them off during the day, words fail me.

On another note, I have no idea how to go about making a bomb, but in these days of terrorism, wouldnt you think that easily accessible explosives is rather like opening a sweet shop to a child?

We've had explosions since 3pm today again Buster isn't even coming out for a "treat" (so unlike him as he's very greedy).

MrsB I have my own teenagers and would hope that they aren't silly enough to "mess around" with fireworks but I know some of their friends are. As Rea says some of the fireworks I've seen being sold are small bombs in themselves, so can't see how the government can justify selling these to any individuals.

Our previous dog used to rip up the carpet to try and hide - it's awful, you can't explain to the poor things.

Current dogs some kind of 'firework nutter' she loves to run around chasing them across the sky- however she can't go in the garden encase a stray one lands, so she just looks glumly out of the window!

We're not too bad this year, none in the daytime (yet) only had them fri,sat and tonight so far.... it's when they start letting them off at midnight I get really annoyed.

xx

I love fireworks too, athough these days we attend organised events due to where we now live. In the old house we could see bonfires and fireworks all over the area, I miss this weekend and New Years Eve the most. We went to one last night, huge bonfire and lots of moderatly loud fireworks.

I enjoy the fireworks over the weekend or week depending upon when bonfire night lands. I have too heard fireworks going off in the early hours of the morning where are the police? My understanding I think is that only on Bonfire night, Divali and New Years Eve we can have firework until 1 or 2 am in the morning, all other night until 11 or 12 pm.

Oh here starts the banging again. I hope I can sleep tonight I have to get up for work which is hard enough in itself having spend nearly 3 months gettting up when I liked.

Beth

Hi

I am absoloutly petrified of fireworks, they totally and utterly scare me. I can just about cope with hearing them when i am safe and sound inside, but if i am outside i get shaky and nervous!, a real fear of them.

can't wait for them to end

Dawn

I am firmly on the ban them altogether side here-apart from organised displays. Fireworks and bonfires should be limited to 5th November, not one or two days before or the next day. A member of staff who works for my husband said that she was having her party on Saturday because if she waited until the fifth she wouldn't be able to have a drink because of work the next day! How irresponsible is that! Alcohol and fireworks-what a good mix!!!!

My dog hates them, not that he is scared of them but thinks they are a threat to us and wants to protect us. So much so he has had a nervous stomach today and has been sick.

After the incident where somebody threw a lit firework into a shop last week I think there should be a major rethink on the sale of them to the general public.

I am so greatful my daughter, who is a student nurse and on A and E at the momnet, isn't working until Tuesday.

Linda

Relief. :o Dennis (pictured here) has just come home. He's been missing since this afternoon and gets terrified by fireworks. This morning I had to slide him along the kitchen floor on the end of my foot, he was so anxious not to go outside even for a while at first. So glad he came out of hiding xD

post-3139-1194217167_thumb.jpg

I must admit I love the colours of ireworks, but I'm sure they are louder than they used to be. I have only ever bought sparklers and think only organised events should be allowed. I know it's too late for this year, but giving nervous pets (or people) rescue remedy in water for a week before hand can help, it works with my parents very nervous old english sheepdog (and my very nervous mom when she goes to the dentist).

I hope those who go out tonight have a good time, and those with nervous pets and people can cope alright.

And I agree not all teenages are bad, unfortuntely they are the ones you tend to hear about.

Lets start a thread: what my responcable teen did today.!!!! and celebrate the good ones. :o

Sal

I love them. It would be a bit hard to say "one night only" in a multi cutural society - which night would that be? 5th nov, diwali for hindus diwali for sikhs, eid, new year, chinese new year.........all use fireworks or explosions to celebrate.

Cx

I've given up on my studies because of the continuous bangs from fireworks in the neighbourhood.

I love the smell of them and that hazy, foggy atmosphere that remains after a session. But can someone please invent a silent one!! The boom, boom boom of those 'bombs' are dreadful - there they go again - must put some music on to drown it out.

Diwali to look forward to next weekend!!!!

Ho hum!

:o

When I said about limiting fireworks to November 5th I meant for celebrating bonfire night. I appreciate there are other celebrations throughout the year for other groups. I just don't understand why we celebrate bonfire night over three or four nights.

Linda

I'm afraid I'm one of those that love fireworks. I live in a very multicultural area so we've been hearing bangs since the end of Ramadan and it will go on til Divali.

All I can say is there is a positive side - My 2 daughters are studying WW2 at school. On Bonfire night we opened the windows and closed our eyes and I think we got an inkling of what the Blitz must have sounded like, only we obviously didn't have terror in our hearts.

I used that experience in my whole school assembly to tie in with Remembrance Day. So hopefully the year 6's may be listening to the bangs and empathising not letting them off in person. Or am I too much of an optomist!!

Hi

I must say that I am really missing the sound and smell of fireworks. Would love to organise a Guy Fawkes night party for next year - with a big bonfire (if possible) and loads of food (toffee apples etc).

Didn't hear any fireworks yesterday for Diwali and obviously nothing on 5th Nov. Only seem to hear fireworks on 1st Sept (Revolution day) and for Prophet's birthday (I am in Libya). Last year, the fireworks on prophet's birthday kept me up until gone 3am. Was appalled to see local children outside their homes with firecrackers and fireworks in their hands. A few were thrown over my wall too!

When in UK - I only ever go to organised displays and agree with others that limits should be put on what types of fireworks can be bought by public.

Hope everyone had a safe time during Guy Fawkes and Diwali