Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Treasure Baskets And Heuristic Play

Guest Wolfie

Can anyone briefly describe the difference between these two forms of play? I THINK I've got it but would love to hear the views of people who actually provide both on a regular basis.

am sure someone who uses both will add a more helpful reply - but my understanding is that treasure baskets are introduced first for sitting babies - with each baby having own basket(?) - baskets contain one of each object. Heuristic play is introduced later as an extension for toddlers and involves much larger quantities of resources.

can't find good link I had with info on both but googling either comes up with lots of links to info.

Can anyone briefly describe the difference between these two forms of play? I THINK I've got it but would love to hear the views of people who actually provide both on a regular basis.

Now Wolfie I don't do 'briefly' but here's a link to Community Playthings who explain all about what heuristic play is and where it came from.

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/c/res...uristicplay.htm

Maz

Yeah thats my understanding to.

Treasure baskets are provided for babies when they are able to sit but cant yet crawl to explore and by using natural resources it provide a wealth of sesnory experiences for them to enjoy. Heuristic play is an extention of that providing a range of larger everyday & open ended resources usually for a defined period of time (some people have an actual heuristic play session) which are used for exploration and investigation.

The role of the adult in both is to provide the resources and sit back and observe.

There are lots of articles around to give you ideas in magazines such as nursery world but here are a few web links which i looked at when i was planning training to deliver to some of my setting.

• www.natureplay.org.uk

• www.peep.co.uk

• www.rnib.org.uk

• www.contentedchild.co.uk

• www.readmestories.com

• www.thegowerschool.co.uk

• www.simpletreasures.co.uk

• www.thomsonlearning.co.uk

• www.communityplaythings.com

Thank you all for your replies and for the links - you've confirmed what I thought! I've just spent a very enjoyable hour at our local scrapstore starting to build my collection...and I've found someone on eBay who does plain cotton drawstring bags...so it's all starting to come together! :o

Actually, Paula, I've just tried one of your links - simplytreasures.co.uk -and it's brought up a picture of a 3 bed semi in Selsey???

Edited by Wolfie

How many treasure baskets do you have? What are the themes? I love putting these together and we have 3 at the moment....\

1. brushes

2. shiny/metal

3. natural things

When we had a visit from our local early years support team I was having a discussion about treasure baskets and was excited showing her the ones I had just completed. She took me to her car and her boot was full of different ones which then got me the bug to do more so my next one is going to be Balls!!!

Generally for babies who you are newly introducing to Treasure Baskets they should be filled with a mixture of all different textures for them to explore then from your observations you can see which particular texture/objects appeal to them and make specific baskets from that. Also as children get older you can make lots of lovely themed baskets which i agree are lots of fun to put together. There is a book called 'The little Book of Treasure Baskets', its part of a series of books from Featherstone publications (i think) and it has some nice little ideas about themed baskets. It has ideas such as, A basket full of wood, The Sound of Music, The roll along basket, The Bathroom basket, A Basket full of colur etc.

I suppose the limit to your number of baskets depends on the children you have in, their interests and your budget of course!!!

Have fun!

• 5 months later...
Now Wolfie I don't do 'briefly' but here's a link to Community Playthings who explain all about what heuristic play is and where it came from.

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/c/res...uristicplay.htm

Maz

I know its late and all that - but I'm just doing a bit of research for my 'baby placement' and so was googling heuristic play... I spotted the first line of this post together with the Forum website. So I thought I'd take a look... imagine my surprise when I found it was my own post :o

Just goes to show: all roads lead back to the Forum in the end...

Maz

I know its late and all that - but I'm just doing a bit of research for my 'baby placement' and so was googling heuristic play... I spotted the first line of this post together with the Forum website. So I thought I'd take a look... imagine my surprise when I found it was my own post :o

Maz

xD Classic! Its a bit like when you're searching a Thesaurus for a slightly different word and just keep ending up going round in circles back to the original word. Or perhaps its nothing like that................................ :(

Guest Wolfie

That's what I did for my baby placement task Maz - introduced heuristic play sessions - if you need to know anything, just ask!

Maz

xD:( :(

I have done this too!!

When i saw my name on google, i felt that i was famous!!

Its a bit like when you're searching a Thesaurus for a slightly different word and just keep ending up going round in circles back to the original word. Or perhaps its nothing like that................................ xD

For an awful moment there I thought you were going to say that "its a bit like when you're searching for a word in the Thesaurus and then you remember you wrote the Thesaurus!".

Now that would be bizarre - but do you think I'm suffering from sleep deprivation? :o

Guest Wolfie

I've often worried about your sleep deprivation Maz........the times on your posts scare me! By that time I've done my falling asleep bit and am lying awake again thinking about things!!!

I've been asked to set up some stay and play sessions at our new family centre. In fact, they were looking for a volunteer and everybody else suddenly disappeared! They are very keen on the heuristic play approach so I thought I had better do some research. Just finished reading this book and it explains the thinking behind treasure baskets and heuristic play very clearly and simply. I actually found it really interesting - how sad am I?

It's called Developing Play for the Under 3's by Anita M. Hughes

Sally

Guest Wolfie

I also used that book - bought it and read it in a day - very clear and simple explanations, the best step by step guide that I came across, with very strong links to the work of Elinor Goldschmeid.

Well worth the money!

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I've been looking at ideas for my baby task and have gone onto the idea of heuristic play and/or treasure baskets. I've just ordered a couple of books, and I've read this thread but am still unsure on the difference beteween the two - can anyone clarify?

I asked in our baby room if they have done any of this and was told they have a so-called 'treasure basket' but it is rarely used, so I am going to work on this. I just need to be sure of the contents of this, and is heuristic play with natural objects??

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound really stupid, but just to try and get my understanding on the difference; am I right in thinking the treasure baskets provide a type of heuristic play for babies/toddlers?