Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning

This ones a sore point for me. I spent a whole week last summer going through all the different areas of learning and writing down how I was going to cover them for the following year in terms of routines, types of activities, etc. There was absolutely nothing of this sort in place at playgroup. I billed them for 3hours work and was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't pay for it. My chairperson got in touch with the council and they said that all that is required is an A4 sheet, split up into the different terms with the topics and festivals to be covered written on it. :o

Hi

Our long term plans cover 2 years each with a topic for each half term. They also include any fundraising events, events, visits and festivals that we are going to cover and the stepping stones that we are going to obxzserve in that term.

If you would like me to send you a copy email me. :D

We are similar to Hali. We list the topics for the coming year, any festivals that we will celebrate, any trips linked to the topic and special events that will take place, such as fundraisers etc. Very simple!

Linda

Our long term planning is much the same a Hali's and Linda's, we also include which main focus strand - of each area learning, we are going to be concentarting on.

We have a three year plan.

So for each year we cover every main strand at least once.

Does this make sense?

Yes, thats what I mean the Aspects of Learning. (I confuse my self), anyway

Here is our long term plan for this half term:

ALL ABOUT ME AND MY FAMILY

Areas of learning......... Main focus strand.

PSE......... Sense of community

CLL ......... Linking sounds & letters

Maths....... No's as labels & for counting

KUW....... Sense of time

Phys....... Health & bodily awareness

Cre......... Respond to experiences etc

Festivals KODOMO-NO-Ho ( childrens day in japan), May Day.

Our long term plan just lists topics to be covered over the year, highlighting festivals or other significant events to be looked at. We have a list of 'ongoings', such as tidy-up, snack bar etc at the front of our curriculum folder.

The focuses come into it at Medium term stage with us, but in quite a lot of detail, e.g., which stepping stones, how we intend to deliver etc.

Any help?

Sue :D

We use a format based on the one given on page 11 of the Planning for Learning in the Foundation Stage (Ref: QCA/01/799) which was a supplement to the Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage.

It is fairly simple and only needs to be done once a year (it is a PLAN of what you intend to cover after all :)).

However, I think it probably would still take a couple of hours to do! :o

• 2 weeks later...

my long term plan for the year just lists the topics that I will be doing. I was supposed to writ down all the areas of learning that each topic covered but found that you could get each topic to cover evertyhing possibel. So now I just list the topics and maybe change the focus each time I repeat the topic depending on the group of chidlren I have with me at the time. My medium term plan lists all the possible activiites that I could cover and my short term plan takes some of these activities but has more of reactive activities- ie reacting to observations and assessments of the chidlren This way I hope i can show the dreaded OFSTED insps that I am aware of the needs of the chidlren and plan for them rather than plan for the topic and the chidlren's needs come second. What do you think?

We used to plan like that Leo, but we have had a major change of heart this year. We have now sorted out the stepping stones/ ELG into termly chunks over the 2 year period for nursery and reception, then using the topic or theme as the vehicle for delivery, rather than the other way round.

we did this reasons.

1. we felt very strongly that there were aspects of the different areas of learning that we were missing out on, covering others frequently and some not at all. When we came to complete profiles, we felt we couldnt assess chidlren on things we hadnt done adn therefore had to leave gaps, which then raised aan issue over our coverage. This way we can be sure that we have included everything, whilst at the same time, we appreciate that it isnt cast in stone, and just because it isnt in the LTP, doesnt mean that we are not doing it. WE have found this year much better beacuse of that. We then use the medium term plan to work through the topics we have chosen.

2. I dont like doing the same topics year after year. Changing them for us doesnt mean having to rewrite the LTP, just the medium ones. It also means that we can change topic at the last minute if the children send us of in a different direction and we can still organise activities that work well with the LTP for that term.

It has been very time consuming doing it, but it is working for us-at least it is at the moment.

At the end of thday, you have to take on board everyon's ideas and then use what works for you, in your circumstanecs. After all,there isnt a right and wrong way. :D

Mundia,

This sounds like a great way to work. :) My concern has always been that if you chose a topic at the long term planning stage, before you really know the children, and it ends up they're interested in something completely different then where does this leave you? :( I wanted my planning to be much more responsive to the children, whilst still being aware of how I was going to deliver the curriculum throughout the year. I felt that if I could get the basics in place then my planning could evolve rather than being written in stone. I also object to doing a lot of paperwork for no good reason other than flashing in front of an inspectors nose. xD:o

Even through i do a two year plan once ive got to the end i re do the plans so that we do not do the same topics again and again and if we want to change one in a half term we do.....(like next term is supposed to be people who help us byut we have decided to do bears instead)

Beau/Carol: I totally agree with you on this. I only do the LTP the way it is in the Curr. Guidance because that was what Early Years told us to do!! I do it each year and it goes in the operational plan (and nobody ever looks at it!!) I think the medium and short term plans are more useful but we do go with "spontaneity" (spelling???) quite often!

:)

yes mundia,

I too follow a 2 year cycle. But our LEA has given ua a format of the ELGs/Stepping stones that we cover without setting up snything specific(daily routines). These include finding name on arrival, listening to stories and rhymes,finding coat peg, etc etc so what you end up is a very small list of ELGs that are not covered by daily routines that have to be palnned for specifically- in that is the usual - "knows about other cultures etc etc" I feel I cover that by just being the only ethnic minority in the class/school/town and dist. :o

So our planning for a topic is made quite easy because a lot of the ELGs are already covered. We have been advised not to over plan for the stepping stones but indicate the ELGs that the chidlren will be working towards.

Do any of you plan for each area of the classroom for a term at a time- like the learning objectives in the snad /water for the half term etc. At the early years exhibition- a speaker at one of the seminars showed us her planning which was based on areas wihtin the classroom.

Looks like each LEA has different specifications.

Guest amanda

Hi

Im new to this site and Im really struggling with getting my head round all the planning.

Any gems of advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Amanda

Amanda,

Welcome to the site. :) Planning seems to be one of those things that evolves for people. There definately doesn't seem to be any right or wrong way - just whatever suits your setting and the staff who work there. What sort of place do you work in?

Guest amanda

Thanks

Its a Neighbourhood Nursery due to open in summer. My problem is I have been out of nursey for a while working with special needs and although I am applying for the relevant courses I just need a bit of help with starting the planning off. Its a fantastic opportunity and I dont want to mess it up.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the site; I hope you find much of interest here to help you in your work. :) Are you going to be the manager/supervisor for the NN?

Planning does seem a huge task if you're starting from scratch; do you have anything to go on, or do you have a completely free rein? Maybe the first thing you need to do is get hold of a copy of the Foundation Stage guidance document from the QCA. Are you familiar with that? As well as giving the stepping stones and ELGs which are, of course, crucial in medium and short term planing, it is also an excellent document for giving the "big picture" of the Foundation Stage, ie learning through play, the value of quality interaction between staff and children, and so on.

Once you've got your head round the philosophy and why we do what we do, you can then get more specific re topics per term, or vehicles for learning eg the sand tray, the creative workshop area, the book area, etc. Do you have any planning sheets? Have a look at the articles section where we have some available to download. You may not find exactly what you're looking for, but they will give you a start, and you can adapt as necessary.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest amanda

Thanks Helen

Ive got a copy of the QCA and I keep reading through it . In principle its a really good document and helps a great deal but I just need my starting point. Im really pleased to have been offered the job and want to give it my best. Im going to be the Deputy Manager and have 16 years experience working with children, in management and as a practitioner but have missed the crucial introduction of the FS as I was working in special needs. I had to leave as I was badly assaulted by one of my pupils. So here I am in need of your support and guidance.

Amanda

Hi Amanda, sorry to have missed your post until now. :D

Good luck with the new job!

Reading the Guidance is fine, but until you're actually working with it, it doesn't really 'come alive' - well, that's what I found, anyway :o

Have you tried thinking about topics you might do/have put into your long term plan, with a view to planning a few activities, to give you a feel for how to use the document? I know it's a bit hard without actual children in mind, but it's worth a go.

In my setting we select stepping stones across a topic, 3/4 from each area of learning, to be targeted, but will usually include quite a few others 'along the way'. These are then used for the main Focus activities, which we evaluate and use to assess individual children in an on-going type way - sounds a bit confusing, but it works in practice. We monitor the Stepping Stones to ensure an even coverage.

Hope this is of some use?

Sue :D

Hi Amanda,

How is the NN going to be organised, in terms of age groups per room, how many children each day/session? Will some or all children attend each day? The answers to these questions will have an effect on how much planning you'll need to do, short-term. If children come every day, then activities will need to be changed more frequently, or adapted daily over the course of the week. If, like us, you have some children coming 2, 3, 4, or 5 times per week, you'll tend to plan differently. We plan a couple of activities based on each of 2 or 3 stepping stones for the areas of CLL, Maths, and KUW. Creative workshop activities change daily, malleable play , music, and PE /movement sessions change weekly. How will your sessions be divided up? Once you have the organisational plan sorted out, your planning of specifics will follow, I'm sure :D

• 1 year later...

Hi Mundia!

I have been feeling the same way and I was also thinking of doing this during the my summer holiday. It is nice to know that others have tried it and that it has worked out :).

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi Catherine,

I read your post about LP planning and I thought I could mabye mix your concept with that of Mundia.

Could you kindly share with me your 3 year Long Term plan?

Thanks in advance,

SmileyPR

• 1 month later...
yes mundia,

I too follow a 2 year cycle. But our LEA has given ua a format of the ELGs/Stepping stones that we cover without setting up snything specific(daily routines). These include finding name on arrival, listening to stories and rhymes,finding coat peg, etc etc so what you end up is a very small list of ELGs that are not covered by daily routines that have to be palnned for specifically- in that is the usual - "knows about other cultures etc etc" I feel I cover that by just being the only ethnic minority in the class/school/town and dist. :o

So our planning for a topic is made quite easy because a lot of the ELGs are already covered. We have been advised not to over plan for the stepping stones but indicate the ELGs that the chidlren will be working towards.

Do any of you plan for each area of the classroom for a term at a time- like the learning objectives in the snad /water for the half term etc. At the early years exhibition- a speaker at one of the seminars showed us her planning which was based on areas wihtin the classroom.

Looks like each LEA has different specifications.

9724[/snapback]

Leo. Do you have a copy of that format which shows all the things you cover every day? I would love to have one to work from.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mundia!

It would be interesting to see your LTP for Nursery and Reception. Could you kindly share it with us?

Do you use the SS and ELG stated in the FS Profile or do you use all the SS and ELG in the FS Curriculum for this LTP ?

I had read in another forum that the yellow SS were used in the 1st term of Nursery, while the blue ones in the 2nd and 3rd term. In Reception the green ones would be used in the 1st term and the grey ELG for the 2nd and 3rd term. Sure, that you can not constrict the children's learning and one has to follow their pace :o .

Have a nice week :D !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)