Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snacks

Just wondering what you all give your children for snacks each day.

We are pre-school offering 2.5hrs per day.

Children have water or milk to drink.

This week we have had: (we are doing colours - guess which one this week!)

Mon - Melon, Lemon and raisin scotch papncakes

Tues - Yellow pepper, pitta breads and roasted red pepper houmous

Wed - Banana, cinamen and raisin bagels

Thurs - Cheese, mini sweetcorn, cheese and chive dip

Fri - Cheese and crackers.

Do you have something different everyday like us, or do you have the same snack all week, change it a couple of days or what.

I find it hard walking around sainsburys on a Sunday morning looking for inspiration!! :o

Guest MaryEMac

Our children bring in their own snacks each day. They are allowed to bring fruit, yogurt or cheese. We offer a choice of drinks, water, milk (very popular), or a no added sugar fruit squash. We tend to stick to apple, as one or two of our children become their own evil twins if they are given blackcurrant.

Mary

Milk or water (no alternative) and today they had pitta breads with houmous,plums, oranges,raisins, apples,bananas,kiwi fruit(check for allergies to these!) and pears.....oh and grapes!we try to find different fruits each week,and particularly seasonal, locally grown where possible, so red/white/blackcurrants, strawberries, cherries,cucumber,peaches, and they will have rice crackers, breadsticks cheese a good variety of things...we love fruit in our group!!

Perhaps you would find it easier to draw up some sort of rolling rota for the term. This could then be repeated every few weeks - or however often you prefer. This is what we do and we just adapt it as necessary depending on what we are doing and what is in season or available when the shopping is done!

Yes I remember. I saw an ex-pupil the other day, now age 20 and she still remembers having playgroup biscuits and still calls them playgroup biscuits. She told me that she been speaking to another ex-pupil on MSM and said they had been discussing playschool and how it was such a special treat to be chosen to give them out. Did one biscuit a day really hurt them.!!!!!!!

we ask parents to supply friut etc each week on a rota basis... we dont always know what is coming in, but it is always plentiful varied and healthy. Good for parnership and working with parents (saves us money and I no longer have to do the Sunday shopping)

Inge

A lot nurseries I go to still have a buscuit and orange/blackcurrent squash.

At playgroup we gave a choice to parents regarding drinks, should we only give water and milk, there was so much negative feedback we stuck with the squash as well. :o

school nursery... we have milk or water - children encouraged to bring in their own clear water bottle too- no falvoured water as we find that squashes tend to sneek in :( We have the free fruit scheme and so far this week we have had carrots and tomatos

A nursery nurse who has been here a long time said she remembered the days when the staff had biscuits and the children had none :o Reminds me of the jaffa cake advert xD

Since we came back in September i have started doing our weekly shopping on the internet and having it delivered - beats walking around supermarket and lugging heavy bags to work each week! seriously would recommend it - Asda have started delivering to our area ..........it just great!

We have a four week snack rota which has just been updated to take into account all the children with allergies which have joined us. This term we seem to have more and more children with allergies and it makes life very difficult for us. apart from the food issue we used to have lots of different boxes etc. in our art area but have had to discard items which used to contain nuts, dairy etc. etc. resulting in our junk modelling supplies being depleated.

School nursery

Free Full cream milk

snacks to suit theme of week and we aim for 2 fresh per week and 'easy' on a friday.This week was yellow

melon-sharing a large item for PSHE

custard

custard creams (school photograper was in so had to keep the kids clean )

lemon curd sandwiches

bananas

The free fruit and veg scheme stuff goes home with the children as they leave.

our group used to do the old 'biscuit and a glass of squash thing too, until I took over, and introduced a'healthy eating' snack time.......which social services (as it was way back then!!) used as a benchmark for other groups to follow..they came in and took lots of photographs of our snack and the children tucking in and they'd show them to other groups, advising them that it was a great alternative to biscuits! I was rather proud of that!! :oxD

Edited by narnia

We tend to have things like breadsticks /dips ,toast ,crumpets ,fruit ,raisins ,occasionally we have plain biscuits ! ,Rich tea or Digestive ,crackers and cheese spread , but since we had a visit from the Dental nurses we have stopped the squash and just have water or milk

Here's our list, plus milk and water - have not had any problems eliminating squash surprisingly enough.FRUIT/VEGETABLES

Apples Satsumas

Bananas Grapes

Strawberries Melon

Raisins Dried apricots

Carrot sticks Cucumber

Pepper Tomatoes

Celery

BREAD/BISCUITS

Toast Sandwich

Bread roll Cracker

Bread stick Rice cake (just bought some marmite ones yum)

Pitta Naan

Croissant Brioche

Malt loaf Tortilla

OTHER Dip

Cheese Cheese spread

Marmite Jam

Honey Hummus

Fromage Frais and shortbread (together)

We have our fruit, plain biscuit and a savory snack such as bread sticks etc. We offer water, milk or milkshake. The children select their food and make their milkshake using one small scoop of milk shake powder. Sometimes we offer fruit juice such as apple or orange aswell.

We started using a two week rolling rota for the Autumn Term in September as being situated right next door to Tesco's the spending was getting ridiculous and additionally we wanted to provide some variety, rather than having the same things.

The rota has made things much easier and i hope that when OfSTED come they will like the fact that we try to provide a varied menu, and that parents have easy access to knowing what there children will be having each day.

We only supply milk and water to drink at snackand find that the children are perfectly happy with these options.

I hope that i will be showing you a link to our first half terms menu.

snack_MENU.doc

Edited by Guest

I am a reception teacher that supplies snacks to the children (I know that Sunday feeling! xD ). I was buying things like breadsticks and rice cakes (as well as other things like crumpets, fruit, veg and dips etc) but was given something at school (new i think) from Ofsted that said we shouldn't be giving children breadsticks, rice cakes, crackers etc. It said crumpets, toast, certain spreads, fruit, veg, cheese ok but lots of things no longer allowed. Wish I could give a link but only given paper copy and can't locate at moment. Not sure if same for nurseries but is for schools. just thought I'd mention :o

:o Thank for all your good suggestions.

I think I will introduce a rolling menu over a period of so many weeks. Will think of how many weeks to cover.

The less I have to think about on a Sunday morning the better xD

Thanks Crystal

I've had a quick search on the internet and have come up with the following link to a new policy that came out September 2007. I think though from whati have read that at the moment it is only relevant to schools, but i'm going to do some more delving. Will post further info if i find it.

http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/doc_item...&DocCatId=1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)