Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jobhunting Misery

Hi

I'm sitting at the computer trying to finish (well actually start) my DPP coursework and I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth it. I applied for a job at a pre-school during the summer and was offered it - only problem was that between interview and offering me the job, they changed the hours and presumed it would be ok. It wasn't as it now clashed with the school run.

So I applied for a number of jobs and in the last week I have received 4 'thanks but no thanks letters' and I didn't even get to interview stage.

I'm starting to feel like all the hard work I've put in and all the hours as a volunteer have been for nothing. I know there's a job out there but at the moment I feel like packing it all in and going back to office work. I had such a lot of enthusiasm and I really wanted to get a job to start practicing what I've learned but each letter of rejection is making it harder for me to stay positive.

Sorry for sounding like a real moaner but right now I feel like a bit of a failure.

Better stop here as I'm about to open a bottle of wine to ease my pain. My typing is hopeless after just one glass.

Sally

(Rapidly becoming a grumpy old woman)

Hi Sally, I know that feeling too!

Ok have you had any feedback from any of the places you have applied for? There will be a reason that you are not being shortlisted and you need to know what that reason is. You can call them up and ask?

DO you have someone who can check over your applications/ proof read, or help you out with applications. Sometimes they are a full time job in themselves.

I know that when we last appointed (in a school for a TA but similar principles could apply), we ruled out the following before even reading them (I'm not suggesting these apply to you but have a look anyway)

1.any very untidy, scruffy applications, eg lost of crossing out, letter written on pages torn out of a book etc etc.

2.Poor spelling and grammar

3.those who did not include a personal statement/letter..this is the part of the application where you see the applicant's personality begin to show, as well as details of their experience.

4. anyone who wasn't qualified at the level specified

5. Anyone who didn't meet the essential criteria for the job.

Oh I forgot, any that arrived late.

I don't know if thats any help?

I know the feeling, however I may have a job they sound interested in me awaiting phone call back. Plus I have another one mid week hope to get to know by the end of the week regarding jobs. Umm more questions to ask at interviews and getting bored of asking the same questions over and over again.

Good luck in finding a job you will find one.

Beth

Please keep trying.

From my experience, my advice would be to ensure you complete the application forms in full (scary how much get's missed), sell your self in the personal statement being positive about what you have learnt,enjoy and all your experiences todate.

It's a shame you are not in my area - we can't get qualified staff at all here and I personally would put huge value on any one who had completed the DPP voluntary - you really are a star and just need someone to see your potential.

There is a pre-school out there - just keep looking. Have you tried your local development worker they often can recommend settings that need staff.

Do not give up.

SENDING POSITIVE VIBES.

You have already shown commitment to being a part of the early years profession, please don't give up yet, you know how boring office work is otherwise yu wouldn't have left it. :( ( no offence to any office workers out there)

Do you wait for adverts in the media? Why not try a bit of pro-active job seeking? Get a list of all the settings in your locality from the C.I.S. Childrens Information Service. Send them your C.V. and a covering letter, make it memorable and not just I'm looking for a job hve you got one type. Maybe use lilac paper ( don't know why I suggest that colour, just a personal preference :o ). Give anecdotes of what you have previously enjoyed about working with children, the funny things they say that you have heard or the feeling of pride when one of the children inyour care has made even a slight achievement. Let them know your interests that can be used within a setting, music, your favourite childrens story, your puppet making skills etc.

My daughter recently sent her CV's out to schools and within 10 days got an interview and job offer, she started today, which reminds me I must give her a ring and see how her first day went. xD

There really is a job just waiting for you to introduce yourself to. :(

Peggy

Thanks for all your kind words and advice.

I have had some feedback from a couple of the places I applied to. One said that although I was studying for my DPP and have been a volunteer, they needed someone with more experience (I was applying for preschool assistant and on application it said that no qualifications necessary as training available). The other setting I contacted to ask about the reasons for rejection said that they felt that I was overqualified and would not stay in an assistant's job for very long. I do have a BA degree but that is not in any subject related to childcare.

I feel as if I can't win. The DPP qualifies me in principle to be a supervisor but I haven't got the experience. I felt that I should start as an assistant and work my way up. Then I am told that I'm over qualified.

I am always really meticulous about job applications and I write out everything in rough first. I have a printed copy of my CV which I enclose with handwritten personal information and aims. I used to work in recruitment so I have a fairly good idea of how to present myself.

I'm considering going for jobs in schools instead of preschool now. I did a couple of days last week as a stand in TA for a reception class and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to get my DPP out of the way and after christmas decide what to do.

Sally

I havent got anything to add really Sally, just a hope that you wont let these set backs knock you down to far. I have to agree and say that your commitement to training voluntarily is fab.

The perfect job is out there, please dont give up, working with children is so much fun.

Keep smiling :o

Are these people mad? I've said this before, but I would be biting your hand off should your CV come across my desk! You have shown true commitment to early years by doing your DPP whilst on a voluntary placement and you are committed to gaining more experience in order to complement the qualification you will gain.

Yes you might not want to stay as an assistant for very long once you get some experience under your belt - but have they not thought that you might want to share the benefit of your knowledge and experience with them in a different role? And then you let it slip that you have a BA in some other subject - so your path to EYPS (if that is what you would like to do) is greatly shortened once you gain the experience you need to meet the standards.

Keep plugging on - we need practitioners of your calibre and potential in early years. I'm sure there's a setting out there just waiting for you!

Good luck

Maz

Hey I forgot to tell you all that I had a very strange interview. :o Went into the hallway aready 2 other people there, then I went in got asked questions BUT when I tried to answer them suddenly they started waffling key works at me for example I said a couple of sentances followed by an example then they started to say what about this and that. xD:(

I found it really off putting so Sally please don't get downhearted these thing will happen but the right job is out there for you.

Beth

P.S. I think I may have a job starting next week...details to follow(new thread). :(

Good luck with the job Beth. I've also had a couple of strange interviews. One of them was with two people who were like a comedy double act. I actually think that they forgot I was there at times. Very odd indeed.

Deb, I've registered with several places such as agencies and other settings for bank work but after filling in the paperwork and being accepted onto their bank staff list, I've never heard from them again. I've phoned and left messages about jobs which are advertised in local paper or on job centre and again never had the courtesy of a return call let alone an application form. I've also registered with my local early years team and I've sent out loads of CV letters and enquiry emails. Don't know what more I can do.

I've got an interview for a temporary job covering maternity leave at a local preschool and a play assistant to supervise children during visiting times at a local prison so I'll see how it goes. I've also started to apply for other jobs which are nothing to do with childcare. Unfortunately, with 4 kids and Xmas on the horizon, beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

Sally

Hi

I've just been offered a job as a play supervisor in a prison visiting centre. It's on a Sunday at the moment but there may be more hours coming up. I have to fill in loads of Home Office vetting stuff now and I should be able to start in about a month's time. It's not ideal but at least it will give me some good experience as I would eventually like to work in a family centre with parents as well as children.

At least someone has put some value on what I've done so far. They were really impressed by my committment to volunteering as they use lots of volunteers at the prison. It has certainly brightened my day!

Sally

Sounds good, Sally!

How's the DPP work coming on? I remember it as being very interesting but time-consuming to put together properly - or was that because I'd only just gone back to studying after far too long a break! :o

I love your avatar, by the way - my daughter and her husband have a Malamute/Wolf cross and she's beautiful, very good tempered, too. Which is a good thing, as I'm not good with dogs (usually) and we're having her for 3 weeks soon, when daughter and husband go off on a trip of a lifetime to New Zealand.

Keep us posted with your progress, enjoy the job, sounds very interesting.

Sue

Hi Sue

DPP is going well. I'm coming to the end of my 3rd assignment and then we only have the optional unit to do. I find it hard to fit studying in as there is such a lot of work involved. My problem is that I am very thorough and I like to do as much research as possible before writing the assignment. I paid off in my last unit as I got an A which was a real boost to my confidence.

As for the avatar, I found it last week on the net. I have a bit of a thing about wolves, I think they are the most wonderful creatures. One of our neighbours has a malamute/wolf cross and he is gorgeous and a real softie. We have 3 german shepherds.

My partner comes from New Zealand so if your daughter and husband have never been there before, I guarantee they will love it. We have thought about relocating over there as my partner has most of his family still out there. We are hoping to go out for a few weeks next year and after that, who knows?

Sally

For the last few years my daughter and her husband have played host to a visiting cricketer from Christchurch (NZ, in case it's not immediately obvious!). They have become very good friends and he has offered to put them up for part of their time, which is good! It was his enthusing about his home that made them want to go.

From what I've seen of websites etc they've shown us, it will be wonderful experience. I'm a bright shade of green just thinking about it...wish I could smuggle myself into their baggage. :o

Sue

We went about 11 years ago before we had the kids. Stayed just outside Aukland. It was absolutely amazing. We were also lucky enough to be put up by friends and family so it kept the cost down a bit. I sometimes wonder why we came back. We've waited this long to go back again as kids were young, long flight and with 6 of us this time, rather expensive.

Sally

Guest Wolfie

Sally...I have a bit of a thing about Wolves as well but not the animal type.......my obsession probably costs me a lot more money than your does........ :o

Congratulations Sally, this is the start you've been working towards. Good reason for a little celebration me thinks.

My son went to NZ for nearly a momth over the summer on a school rugby tour. Had an amazing time. Lucky, lucky boy. I was very envious.

I shall be celebrating later with a takeaway and a glass of wine. Actually probably several glasses of wine. I'm a Baggies fan Wolfie and that has certainly cost me plenty - in tears as much as anything else!!!

Sally

Guest Wolfie

Noooooooo, I can't believe I've been chatting to a Baggies fan all this time!!!!!

Actually, I have to tell you that I'm reading a great book at the moment by Adrian Chiles all about the trials and tribulations of being a Baggies fan - "We don't know what we're doing" - and our two sets of fans are more alike than we probably care to admit! I heartily recommend the book, whoever you support!

Working in Walsall, I'm in a definite minority and come in for a LOT of stick from Blues, Baggies and Walsall fans! But my support will never waver....C'mon me Babbies!

We've gone off topic a bit here......

Edited by Wolfie

all this talk about NZ is making me realise not long till we go ..off there for 5 weeks over Xmas...

Sister has arranged a touring holiday for us all while we are there, a Wedding to go to and a few boat trips, train rides through the mountains....

They had snow this winter on the North Island, closing the desert roads!!

Inge

When my son was in Christchurch in August there was some doubt that they could go jet boating because the lake was frozen, but they did go in the end!

By the way, you're all playing with the wrong shaped ball -it should be oval!!

I feel like I'm the only one NOT going to NZ this year. You are all so lucky. Any room in hand luggage for me? All offers considered.

I'll check out the book Wolfie. Sounds like a good read. We do seem to have gone off topic a bit but heck it's Friday and I'm certainly more cheerful now than I was when I started this thread.

Look forward to hearing your news Beth.

Sally

Just a quick update. Last week I was moaning away about not being able to find a job. Got one working as a play supervisor in a prison and now the setting where I volunteer have today asked if I would be interested in a job as a member of staff is leaving. What a difference a week makes!!! Now I will have 2 jobs and I'll probably be moaning about being overworked.

Sally