Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Message From My Son

Inge

My son has asked me to highlight the problem of Testicular cancer to as many as possible, he just wants to spread the word now he feels able to.

He was diagnosed April last year and we have been through lots in the last year, but come through it together, we cannot emphasise too much the need to teach all your sons and young men/husbands how to self check just as I am sure you all do.

i taught him to check and if not it could have been much worse. Testicular Cancer is one that is not highlighted enough or discussed, but it is possible to get it any time from the beginning of puberty onwards..and is more common in the 18 to 23 yr age group than many realise. It is 97% curable, but the need to be self aware and not worried to ask or seek help is important and often difficult.

Anyone wanting to know how our /his year has been you can read it in my blog.

Otherwise just remember and teach all the men in your life the importance of self examination and fast treatment.

Inge

My Blog

Inge, thank you for sharing that with us.I am so pleased your son is doing well...........and my two sons (and my hubby for that matter) are going to get a lecture tonight........either they check themselves, or I'll do it for them (sons are 26 and 28, 6'4 and 6'6" so they might be a tad annoyed if I do try to do it for them!!)THANKYOU for bringing this up.......good luck to your son for the future and good health xx

ps a young friend of mine had this about 15 years ago, caught in time....and he now is able to joke that 'it's not just my smile that's lop-sided!! :o )

yes Inge thank you :o As a mother of 3 sons I do get on at them when I was first married my husbands brother went in to hospital 3 weeks from having a 'virus' and sadly died having testicular cancer He was 19 years old absolute devastation (it was 27 years ago) also my Dad got it and had it removed and went on to make a full recovery from that particular cancer.

Thank you for sharing this Inge. Am glad that your son is doing well. Is there some leaflet describing/illustrating how you check properly? I was wondering if there's a 'system' like with breast self-examination?

Maz

PS Narnia - loved the idea of you threatening your 'big boys' to do the exam for them. A real laugh out loud moment at the end of a busy day - thanks!

My husband of 20 years was diagnosed with testicular cancer shortly before our marriage aged 24.It was a terrible time and when we married we were confident the treatment had been successful although we knew we would never have biological children.Freezing of sperm was not offered in those days.

20 years later he is still in remission which just goes to show how successful the treatment of this cancer can be IF caught early.

We have 2 beautiful adopted daughters

Thanks for good wishes, we are still in early days yet but he is very positive and planning lots for when he can move again after recent surgery, luckily he has a very positiver attitude despite so many knock backs this last year. He was lucky and had sperm frozen but he says it will be years yet before he settles down ...too much to do first!

he has told me to give following link for those who want further info on this and how to self examine

Self examination

Further Information

Inge

Edited by Inge

My best wishes too. A friend of mine from Primary school died in his early 20's from this too. As you say if caught early it is treatable adn we need to be making people as aware as they are of breast cancer - incidentally there was a push a while ago about men checking their breasts too as they can also get breast cancer....

• 1 year later...