Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role-play To Attract The Boys ...

I'm trying to think of how to set up our 2nd role-play area (home corner always stays put). This year, we've had a post office, chinese restaurant, garage, supermarket, and theres generally been a good mixture of boys and girls using the areas, although it is predominantly girls.

Does anyone have suggestions for a role-play that would encourage the boys? We've got some very boysy-boys coming up from Nursery and want to make sure there's something that will draw them in.

Thanks.

We usually have a good mix of boys & girls in the role play area.......hairdressers, garage, etc the usual. If you want to try to encourage more 'boys' why not have a builders yard, workshop with tools, police station....now my minds gone blank!will keep thinking :o

mrsb

Dinosaur park, castle, airport, travel agents, train, island, seaside, under the sea, farm, garage, vets, hospital, zoo and for outdoors a football stadium. Otherwise something of topical interest or a something the boys show and interest in or ask for.

I'll move this into the role-play area.

I find that so long as there is something to 'do' boys will be involved. Calculators, tape measures, till, magnifying glasses, stamps, stickers, mobile phones, cameras, tape recorders, keys...Not necessarily following a theme for the area, just interests. :o

Power rangers ( face painting make model base), Pirates, Dinosaur park, Hairdressing, interactive road map of local area wall display.

Our boys ( and girls) spent the whole of summer term playing Hairdressers, power rangers and dinosaur parks.

A bag of logs, hay and fire wood from the local shop is a really cheap resource for dinosaur play.

Have fun :o

Peggy

post-3604-1188553071_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1188553138_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1188553186_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1188553214_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1188553256_thumb.jpg

post-3604-1188553353_thumb.jpg

Our favourite is when we decorate the house.

We put large pieces of card next to our house as walls - add wallpaper pieces, rollers, paste, paint, overalls, small step ladder etc and we decorate + all the tools etc.

his works brillantly especially when we have had the hall being repainted - everyone loves this.

role-play themes initiated by our boys have included space travel, superheroes, knights in shining armour.

what i do find is that boys role-play is less likely to stay confined within a set role-play area - our boys love dressing up as any of the above (and also dragons / lions etc) and then their role-play tends to free-flow throughout the indoor and outdoor area. More often than not play is very active and needs to be referred outside.

We have really focused on stocking our dressing-up rack with clothes/costumes for the boys and props such as tool bags etc.

I'm trying to think of how to set up our 2nd role-play area (home corner always stays put). This year, we've had a post office, chinese restaurant, garage, supermarket, and theres generally been a good mixture of boys and girls using the areas, although it is predominantly girls.

Does anyone have suggestions for a role-play that would encourage the boys? We've got some very boysy-boys coming up from Nursery and want to make sure there's something that will draw them in.

Thanks.

Why not ask the children what they'd like, what they need to resource it and then help them put their own plans into action?

I'd worry slightly about there being a perception that the home corner is for the girls and the other area is for the boys though - but a fascinating opportunity for a research project because you're lucky enough to have two role play areas!

Maz

Our boys love Rock Star Role PLay with microphones, inflatable guitars, wigs, hats etc. Have just seen resources for Role Play Recording Studio on Sparkle Box which I can't wait to try. They also like, outdoor role play - garage, building site, pirates, stables, bicycle hire shop, music factory etc. H x

Net skirts and a selection of feather boa's went down well with our boys :o and ribbons on sticks

but one of my favourites with a masculine theme is a volcano (pre-historic & dinosaurs) both in role play and small world and Grufflao wood went down well too

I've just remembered a good one xD

Television set-We have one of those wooden shop fronts.We cover it in black paper and put knobs on the front.There was a freestanding display screen inside and we hung one of the PVC maps of the UK and laminated weather symbols.

Chairs for the audience and following the childrens suggestions we made a remote control out of a large brick and a plug on a piece of washing line attached to it.It was great as I just 'pulled the plug out' when it was tidy up time and they stopped playing!!!!! :o

Nice one biccy. :o

We've had a weather studio in the past with a big map, pointer, clothes for the 'weather presenter' to wear according to the weather. We also made a camera for the camera man to film. A telephone for the crew to find out what the weather was like in different places or to answer questions about whether it was going to be dry enough to go out on our picnic. I remember lots of boys accessing this.

The children also set up a fire engine, using boxes and bricks that was very popular.

Thanks.

How about a building site - hard hats, tape measures large bricks,clip boards,etc or a garage you can set up an area with tools, a car wash there was a good programme you can watch on-line on teachers tv about setting up role-play with reference to a garage.

nellie

When we had a building site role play, we provided golf tees to hammer into polystyrene blocks - the boys loved it! Bit messy to clear up but worth it, their concentration was amazing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)