Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cache Diploma In Preschool Practice

Hi

I'm new to the forum but I've already found it really interesting and informative. I was wondering if any other members are studying the cache preschool diploma. I'm going into my last term in September and it would be great to chat with others who are doing the same course or who have already done it. I'm not sure where I want to go next and any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanx

I'm about to apply for a job tutoring this course next year. I 'd love to hear from anyone who has tutored it or is about to. My first tutoring job so rather scary!

Guest Wolfie

Hi mustangsally - no advice to add from me I'm afraid but just wanted to welcome you to the forum....and you've definitely come to the right place to get that advice!! :o

Hi Mustangsally,

I completed the CACHE Preschool Diploma about 4 years ago, not sure if it has changed since then. i personally found it very useful and really enjoyed the course. I passed with an over all grade 'B' which my tutor told me was equivelant to 3 A'Levels. The qualification opened the door for me to go on the NVQ A1 Assessors course, which I did two years ago, so now have the A1 Assessors certificate, i worked for about a year as an assessor within a nursery, but have not assessed anyone for a while now as i changed to a different mursery and they don't have assessors as part of their team of staff. The Cache qualification has also opened the door for me to do the Foundation Degree which i will be starting in September through College. So thats just a few ideas to give you as to what you can do once you get the qualification. There may be other doors open to you, other members may be able to help you there.

As for the Cache course itself, it helped me to look at children very differently. I am one of the older people who used to work in playgroups from over 20 years ago. I also had the old style qualifications, so I decided to update my qualifications and with a family of four children to look after and was in a full time nursery job and a husband etc to look after (my husband was very ill at the time) i enrolled to do the course, so there were many a tear and frustration, mainly it was fitting all the course work in and meeting dead lines and getting my assignments within the word count, but some how i did it. I learnt all about childrens different stages of development, how to be a reflective practitioner, how to plan for long, medium and short term planning and how to link it all into the childrens own interests, i learnt all about the stepping stones and ELG'S. I discovered about child development theorists and how to link them into my assignments. I loved learning about 'Schemas'. I learned many other things too and also made some lovely new friends. I hope you will enjoy it as much as i did and learn as much as i did. We also did a whole assignment on SEN. I wish you all the best.

Rosepetal

Hi rosepetal

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that there are a few options out there for when I finish my course.

I also have four children and I have a partner who runs his own business so I end up doing work for him as well. I know what you mean about fitting everything in. There have been several times when I felt like quitting the course - not because I don't enjoy it but I have found it incredibly hard to work around family committments. I've stayed up all night to complete assignments and other things (housework, ironing etc) have been forgotten. But I felt a great sense of achievement when I got my last assignment back (unit on observation and development) and I got an A.

Unlike you I do not have a lot of work experience as this is a career change for me. I decided to look at working with children as my youngest son is 7 and I want to be able to work around school hours. I have been a volunteer at a nursery as part of my course. I have found this quite hard as although the staff have been helpful and supportive, I have not been able to get as involved as I would have liked due to the limits of being a volunteer. I have not been allowed to attend planning meetings or been given access to any records - not even the child I studied for my assignment. I have not felt able to contribute as much as I would have liked. I have found this a bit frustrating.

I totally agree with you about how interesting the course is. I found child development and planning fascinating. I especially enjoyed linking all the planning to individual children and the ELGs. I really got into the child psychology as well. Some of what we studied I sort of knew from personal experience with my own kids but I didn't realise I knew it if you know what I mean. We are doing our final unit in Sept. and I have chosen the SEN option as this is something which interests me and will hopefully broaden my job prospects.

My friend is due to start an NVQ 3 childcare course in Sept. She seems to think that there is a lot less written work and more practical assessment in the workplace. Does anyone have any thoughts on the difference between the diploma and NVQ training?

Hi MustangSally,

Well done on getting your 'A' for your assignment. I got an 'A' for the last two asignments i did, as for the first two assignments i decided to go for a lower grade as not to put myself under too much pressure as i had been out of studying for years, but i got higher grades than expected which resulted in me getting 'C' for the assignments so my tutor told me i was more than capable of going for the higher grades, so i did and surprised my self in getting 'A' for the last two assignments which in the end on my certificate gave me an overall grade of 'B'. So iwas surprised to find i had a brain somewhere in me after all lol. :o

In answer to the question how different is the NVQ from the Diploma, i can only answer that from my own experience as an NVQ A1 Assessor. The difference i found with the NVQ is that it is more hands on and very much work related. There is a certain amount of written work involved but not to the same amount as in the DPP assignments. For the NVQ there is a set of standards which is basically certain criteria the candidates need to achieve to pass their units. The NVQ is broken into Units, such as for example, babies, the environment, health and safety, contribute to the achievement of organisational requirements, planning, physical development and many more units.The unit is broken into elements which is then broken down into performance criteria known as PC. An example of the element would be; Carry out instructions and provide feed back, the PC would be; instructions are carefully listened to and read, instructions that are not understood are clarified with the relevant people, task was completed to the standard required and completed in the time scale specified.

The candidate would have to show evidence in how they achieved the elements and PC, this can be done in a variety of ways, such as direct observation by the assessor, a refective account, where upon the candidate has to write about what they did to achieve the element and PC this would then be signed by a witness in the work place to confirm the candidate did what she has written about. The candidate can write evidence in a diary, the assessor can also ask questions and this can be used as evidence, work products such as day books, first aid and accident books can be used as evidence if the candidate has had to deal with an accident or what ever. Childrens names would be scored out to keep to confidentiality. There are other ways of getting evidence too. But basically thats what happens with an NVQ it is about collecting evidence to support the candidate within the work place. Some people prefer this route if they don't enjoy alot of written work and college can be a bit frightening for some people. I had a candidate who had special needs, she would not have been able to do a level 3 in college as she had limited ability to write and basic reading ability, but she was a very practical person and knew her stuff from observing and then copying, so as her assessor i was able to make up multiple choice questions and diagrams and various charts, where i would ask her questions and i would either write what she answered for her or she just had to tick a box for the correct answer or statement. By doing this she was able to pass her units and gained a level 2 qualification. Hope that all makes sense. In the DPP most of the work and assignments are done soley by ourselves and we have alot of research to do and theorists to read up on etc.

Someone else out there may be able to explain it all in much better terms than me, as i have not assessed any one in two years so things may have changed. NVQ candidates do have to put a portfolio together using photographs, (no children allowed in the photos), using reflective accounts and any other evidence they can gather.

Rosepetal

Hi MustangSally,

Well done on getting your 'A' for your assignment. I got an 'A' for the last two asignments i did, as for the first two assignments i decided to go for a lower grade as not to put myself under too much pressure as i had been out of studying for years, but i got higher grades than expected which resulted in me getting 'C' for the assignments so my tutor told me i was more than capable of going for the higher grades, so i did and surprised my self in getting 'A' for the last two assignments which in the end on my certificate gave me an overall grade of 'B'. So iwas surprised to find i had a brain somewhere in me after all lol. :o

In answer to the question how different is the NVQ from the Diploma, i can only answer that from my own experience as an NVQ A1 Assessor. The difference i found with the NVQ is that it is more hands on and very much work related. There is a certain amount of written work involved but not to the same amount as in the DPP assignments. For the NVQ there is a set of standards which is basically certain criteria the candidates need to achieve to pass their units. The NVQ is broken into Units, such as for example, babies, the environment, health and safety, contribute to the achievement of organisational requirements, planning, physical development and many more units.The unit is broken into elements which is then broken down into performance criteria known as PC. An example of the element would be; Carry out instructions and provide feed back, the PC would be; instructions are carefully listened to and read, instructions that are not understood are clarified with the relevant people, task was completed to the standard required and completed in the time scale specified.

The candidate would have to show evidence in how they achieved the elements and PC, this can be done in a variety of ways, such as direct observation by the assessor, a refective account, where upon the candidate has to write about what they did to achieve the element and PC this would then be signed by a witness in the work place to confirm the candidate did what she has written about. The candidate can write evidence in a diary, the assessor can also ask questions and this can be used as evidence, work products such as day books, first aid and accident books can be used as evidence if the candidate has had to deal with an accident or what ever. Childrens names would be scored out to keep to confidentiality. There are other ways of getting evidence too. But basically thats what happens with an NVQ it is about collecting evidence to support the candidate within the work place. Some people prefer this route if they don't enjoy alot of written work and college can be a bit frightening for some people. I had a candidate who had special needs, she would not have been able to do a level 3 in college as she had limited ability to write and basic reading ability, but she was a very practical person and knew her stuff from observing and then copying, so as her assessor i was able to make up multiple choice questions and diagrams and various charts, where i would ask her questions and i would either write what she answered for her or she just had to tick a box for the correct answer or statement. By doing this she was able to pass her units and gained a level 2 qualification. Hope that all makes sense. In the DPP most of the work and assignments are done soley by ourselves and we have alot of research to do and theorists to read up on etc.

Someone else out there may be able to explain it all in much better terms than me, as i have not assessed any one in two years so things may have changed. NVQ candidates do have to put a portfolio together using photographs, (no children allowed in the photos), using reflective accounts and any other evidence they can gather.

I have had a friend who also chose to do the NVQ level 3 as she was working and would get paid while doing her NVQ, so this option suited her.

Rosepetal

Hi Rosepetal

The NVQ route seems to be more hands on and as you point out you can earn while you study. I'm a bit concerned that any prospective employer will prefer someone who has this qualification as they will have had much more practical experience. One preschool I contacted to enquire about a job vacancy hadn't heard of the DPP. As I said previously, I have been unable to gain the amount of practical experience I would have liked and a couple of others on my course who are volunteers have found the same problem.

The problem I have found is that most settings now require some childcare qualification before they will employ you and you can't get the NVQ training unless you've got a job.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow but have a job interview when I get back so I'm hoping that I will be able to find a job in the not too distant future. I would like to carry on with some form of study but I'm not sure what at the moment. One step at a time. I've been a volunteer for two and a half years now and I feel it's time to start earning again!!!

Sally

I'm off on holiday tomorrow but have a job interview when I get back so I'm hoping that I will be able to find a job in the not too distant future. I would like to carry on with some form of study but I'm not sure what at the moment. One step at a time. I've been a volunteer for two and a half years now and I feel it's time to start earning again!!!

Sally

Where abouts are you based Sally? If I had an applicant for a job who was doing the DPP in his/her own time whilst volunteering I'd snap you up pretty qiuck. This shows real commitment to early years and continuous professional development.

Enjoy your holiday, and good luck with the interview!

Maz

Hi Maz

I'm based just outside Birmingham. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope my interviewer thinks the same way.

Sally

Hi Maz

I'm based just outside Birmingham. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope my interviewer thinks the same way.

Sally

Birmingham? A short commute to Maidenhead, surely :o

Maz

I tend to agree with Maz too ........also I tent to be more wary [wairy,whery whatever!!] about how and why they got their NVQs - whether through own choice or not- as, in our area anyway - they are rushing some (no all) really quickly through the NVQ route.

xx

Hi Mustangsally,

I have been away to the Lake district on holiday, just got back yesterday. How did your interview go?

I agree with Happymaz, doing what you are doing is showing a genuine interest in the earlyyears. I hope someone sees this in you and takes you on pretty soon.

Rosepetal

Hi Rosepetal

The interview is tomorrow and I'm already getting nervous. This one is my first proper interview so I'm trying to view it as good experience if nothing else. I just hope that 2 years working as a volunteer and doing my course balances against someone who has more working experience.

Thanks for the thought, I'll let you know how I get on.

Mustangsally

I agree with Happymaz, doing what you are doing is showing a genuine interest in the earlyyears. I hope someone sees this in you and takes you on pretty soon.

Rosepetal

Just love it when I'm right!!!!

Good luck with the interview - a good strategy to think of it as good experience, but don't give them the idea you don't really want the job. Stress your commitment and motivation and your willingness to learn.

And come on here as quick as you can and let us know how you got on...

Maz

Hi Maz

Thanks for the interview advice it was really useful, especilally the motivation and willingness to learn bit. Interview went really well (at least I thought so). I will know if I got the job by the end of the week. Both you and Rosepetal were right- they seemed impressed by my commitment and the fact that I have been volunteering.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. At least now I have more idea of what to expect at interview-it was a lot more informal than I was expecting which soon calmed the nerves!!

Sally

Hi everyone

Just to let you know - I got the job!!!!! Thanks for the moral support and advice. I am so excited I can't wait to start in September.

Thanks again

Sally

ooh, let me be the first to say.... [size="5"]CONGRATULATIONS[/size]

Well done :o

Lots to look forward to in September. xD

Peggy

Hi everyone

Just to let you know - I got the job!!!!! Thanks for the moral support and advice. I am so excited I can't wait to start in September.

Thanks again

Sally

Hi Mustangsally,

I must have missed this post. Congratulations on getting the job.

New challenges ahead for you now and an exciting time.

Well Done.

Rosepetal

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone

Thanks again

Sally

Congratulations....(sorry it's a bit late!) just catching up on some posts...how's the job going??

Been reading about the Cache diploma in preschool practice....can anyone explain about the grades?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)