Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creativity Definitions

A bit of background...

I'm doing my microteach this week. Its a half hour session which I'm taking from one of my 2 hour session plans. The bit I'm doing reflects on what the group would have discussed beforehand but obviously because we wont have discussed it I need your help with words people might associate with creativitiy.

The sessions are planned for unqualified staff and helpers, so I'm imagining the responses wont be in very educational speak or have a great deal of understanding of what we mean by creativity (sterotypical I know, but this is for demonstration purposes only)

I've got a list of words that define creativity but I need words that might be given by people who havent necessarily worked in early years settings before.

In simple terms 'what do we mean by creativity?' and how would you answer if you didnt know?

And if you're confused, you've just joined a very exclusive club :o

imagination , pretend , art, sticking, painting, doing, making, playing music, singing songs, making up songs, dancing,

ok brain dead..too much for a sunday Rea,

Inge

Sorry, don't know what Moicroteach is although with the word I get a good idea. What is it and what are the expectations of your delivery? Intrigued and would value any further help in developing my own understanding of this if you ever have some time. First things that springs to my mind is movement and dance. Thank you and very good luck with your session. luluj

I can't think of any other single words other than those contributed, however, unforunately if you ask a student to describe a creative activity I bet the description includes an 'end product'. I would want to impress the importance of the 'doing', creative thought ie: problem solving, developing an idea, freedom to change your mind at any time during the 'process' and keep right away from end results / products.

A good example of creativity that many students may have witnessed is the blank paper, painted on as the child 'expresses' his/her thoughts, which inevitably ends up as a soggy brownish paint filled 'picture'.

My personal ways of enjoying being creative is finding items and using them for something other than their 'known' or 'original' purpose. :o I am always asking myself, now what could I use that for, or make with that?

Peggy

Creativity is often confused with being creative in art, music and drama but these are just ways is which creativity can be used and are just one small aspect.

Creativity is about the ability to problem solve, which may use imagination and thinking 'outside the box'. It is about problem solving, taking what we know and using it in innovative ways, so can be used in all areas of learning. I would especially think of Science where the creativity of people like Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci, Pasteur etc. have had world changing effects. Mathematical problems require creative thought. think of an architect designing a building. Thinking skills and problem solving is an area which has received a lot of attention in schools to try to develop creativity in children. It is so much more than just art and literature.

So if you are planning to develop creativity you will need to give you children some kind of problem to solve.

I'll definitly be going from that angle Peggy, too many people worry about what they'll have to display rather than what they will have learnt or experienced.

I've got Fouondations of Independence and The thinking child, both books are great for explaining how creativity is needed for things other than art, such as science.

Thanks all :o

interpreting your thoughts and feelings, expressing yourself, exploring your imagination and exploring materials and what they can do. Having fun, listening, seeing and feeling.

Good luck.

Creativity is often confused with being creative in art, music and drama but these are just ways is which creativity can be used and are just one small aspect.

Creativity is about the ability to problem solve, which may use imagination and thinking 'outside the box'. It is about problem solving, taking what we know and using it in innovative ways, so can be used in all areas of learning. I would especially think of Science where the creativity of people like Einstein, Newton, Da Vinci, Pasteur etc. have had world changing effects. Mathematical problems require creative thought. think of an architect designing a building. Thinking skills and problem solving is an area which has received a lot of attention in schools to try to develop creativity in children. It is so much more than just art and literature.

So if you are planning to develop creativity you will need to give you children some kind of problem to solve.

Spot on! And not a fluffy duck in sight!

Maz

Hmm,

Lots to be going on with there, Rea - do please let us know how the microteach goes!!

You'll be a bag of nerves before it, but you'll be amazed how much you will enjoy it!! :o

Good luck

Sue x

Amazed is the word Sue, shocked would be more apt though. :(

I've taken stuff from that site thanks Heagney1. :(

Glad you mentioned the fluffy duck maz, I'll be using that as a handout :(

Thanks for all your contributions, some will have with what I've got planned, some will help with the delievery.

Dread to think what would happen to my sanity if this site should ever be unavailable :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)