Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pasta

This is probably a stupid question, but we want to paint pasta which children can then use for threading, was thinking of getting kids to tip pasta into paint pots, but am not sure what is the best way to dry it before they start - won't it stick to everything?

any ideas welcomed as always

thanks

Guest Wolfie

For coloured pasta, I always put the dried pasta in a bowl, add food colouring and then toss it about - it soon becomes very evenly coated. Then lay it out to dry somewhere, on some kitchen roll or something similar. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

I am going to get on my high horse. Is there nothing else that can be used instead of food. My personal view is, food is for eating.

Sorry i dont mean to offend anyone and i'm not getting at any individual, i know a lot of people use pasta as a cheap art material but there are so many children out there that would love to eat that food.

It's a valid piont Lou so you and you certainly havent offended me. :o

When I was in the juniors (before pasta existed) we wrapped strips of newspaper that had been soaked in glue around knitting needles. When they were dried they were solid and we slid them off the needle and painted them before threading. A lot more time consuming than pasta but more of a challenge and more memorable! xD

Yes, Lou

A very valid point - and when you add in all the other 'food' play - cornflour gloop, spaghetti play, icing sugar painting, baked bean play, jelly play etc it becomes rather disconcerting! You can't always rely on out of date goods. And even out of date goods can deliver a wrong message to the children.

No offence, here, either :o

And for those who do not mind using it...

children thread it and paint it afterwards using brushes leaving it to dry by hanging it up, or laying on a plastic cloth, as hanging can cause it to stick together.

can use straws as an atlternative but they are very fiddly to thread and need to be cut small

Inge

I am going to get on my high horse. Is there nothing else that can be used instead of food. My personal view is, food is for eating.

Sorry i dont mean to offend anyone and i'm not getting at any individual, i know a lot of people use pasta as a cheap art material but there are so many children out there that would love to eat that food.

Takes a lot more than this to offend me, Lou!

Whenever we use pasta etc for anything other than eating we always make sure to let the children know that it is beyond its 'sell by' date, and can no longer be safely eaten. We explain that rather than throwing it away, we can find other uses for it.

You raise a valid point - I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on - so will happily sit on it instead!

Maz

we use out of date pasta too.... plus cheap plastic straws... 500 for a £1 from the bargain shop.

What about starting a collection of buttons/ washers etc. (tries desperately to think of threadble things :o )

We have just put up a 'recycling centre' in our Nursery entrance. We've used cup hooks to hang plastic baskets from (one for foil and bottle tops/ plastic caps, lids/ corks/ beer bottle tops/ cardboard tubes/ old jewellery etc). The parents are getting the idea and bringing things in to help us with our craft and sorting activities.

we use out of date pasta too.... plus cheap plastic straws... 500 for a £1 from the bargain shop.

What about starting a collection of buttons/ washers etc. (tries desperately to think of threadble things xD )

We have just put up a 'recycling centre' in our Nursery entrance. We've used cup hooks to hang plastic baskets from (one for foil and bottle tops/ plastic caps, lids/ corks/ beer bottle tops/ cardboard tubes/ old jewellery etc). The parents are getting the idea and bringing things in to help us with our craft and sorting activities.

An excellent idea apple. Works well with KUW as well as using the materials for art and craft :o

I love this idea! A really easy way to encourage parents to get involved. Will mention it tomorrow...

Maz

If you are looking for threading activities we use all sorts of recycled materials and use them as hanging decorations

post-1979-1182822501_thumb.jpg

It's a valid piont Lou so you and you certainly havent offended me. :o

When I was in the juniors (before pasta existed) we wrapped strips of newspaper that had been soaked in glue around knitting needles. When they were dried they were solid and we slid them off the needle and painted them before threading. A lot more time consuming than pasta but more of a challenge and more memorable! xD

Hi Rea,

What a great idea, and its another way of introducing different media. I will be giving it a go with the children in the next few weeks.

Rosepetal

A parent who runs a shop gives us out of date ingredients for discovery and crafts, and we put our pasta on grease proof paper when done so it doesnt stick. The food colouring is a good idea though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)