Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Step

Hi all, well after many weeks considering whether to go for it, I finally made up my mind today - completed and posted the application to my LA for funding today and telephoned the OU to make enquiries about Registering for the FD to start in October. Just waiting for the OU pack to arrive so that I can read a bit more about it, and then if funding is available Register on the course. Would love any advice from any of you who are doing the same OU route this year. How do they make an initial assessment to see if you are 'fit' for the course?

sorry can't help with your question as i'm doing mine through the college, starting in sept. just wanted to wish you good luck and congratulate you for making the jump

myhenroxanne

I started the OU Foundation degree in February.

SO far I have found it to be very good.

The work is all related to my work in Pre-School and i have definetly learnt from it.

I was worried about time, as I am leader of a Pre-School and how I would fit it in along with all my other work. So far that has been OK as well. (JUst have to be organised)

PM me if you want to know any more

Glen

Hi

I am on the final 3 months of FD with Ou they do not really check your relevance for the course you need an employer agreement that they send and you send back to say your employer is happy for you to do the course and you will be doing a minimum of 6 hours per week. I have found the study with the OU to work well for me and you just need to discipline yourself to do the reading and get the assignments done. If you have any questions I can help you with please feel free to PM me. Congratulations on registering good luck.

Congratulations on taking the plunge and registering with the OU :o I graduated with the FD from the OU a couple of weeks ago after 4 years of part time study.

Wishing you every possible success and hope you enjoy it as much as I did, if I can help at all just shout!

I am doing E123, started in February. Apart from the registration form, which asks for your level of current qualificatios such as how many O levels etc you have, they didn't check my suitability for the course.

Am learning a lot from it, just have to be disciplined to study regularly, works well for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all, well after many weeks considering whether to go for it, I finally made up my mind today - completed and posted the application to my LA for funding today and telephoned the OU to make enquiries about Registering for the FD to start in October. Just waiting for the OU pack to arrive so that I can read a bit more about it, and then if funding is available Register on the course. Would love any advice from any of you who are doing the same OU route this year. How do they make an initial assessment to see if you are 'fit' for the course?

Hi

I'm in exactly the same boat. Awaiting for the OU pack to arrive and hopefully will start the FD in October. I'm excited and nervous but with all the help and advice and most importantly, the support found on the forum, we can only 'sail through'.

Good luck with yours.

Miriam :o

Am doing E123 at the moment, have just got funding approved for E124 which I've registered to start in October (earlier than the usual February start I believe).

Personally, am glad I decided to only do the FD, one module at a time, as I find it manageable with all my other commitments (family, job, studying, netball). Others have decided to do E123 and E124 at the same time which will mean they will get there sooner. I'll leave it to others to tell you how they feel about that now. And of course wouldn't be able to spend so long on the forum which really wouldn't do!

Really has helped me already in my job. It's great to understand the reasons behind the way we do things. I feel like I am more confident in my interactions with the children.

Good luck.

Edited by Deb

Just wanted to wish you all good luck if you are about to embark on the Foundation Degree in September (or October, or February with the OU). It'll be hard work, but worth it in the end.

Maz

Hi Myhenroxanne,

Just wanted to say, well done for taking the plunge to do the FD. I have been accepted into my local college to do the degree starting September. I have informed my manager and owners of the nursery, but have been told i might not be able to do it, as they have no staff to cover me to let me have the day of to go to college. There is another staff member going on the course and they have been given permission to go. I am not very happy about the situation as i have worked for nearly two years in the nursery and work over and above the course of my duties. The person they have agreed to let go is new and half my age. They have not said i can't go just yet, they are looking into numbers of children for next term and what staffing we will have, and also hoping course will be on, on a different day. I just feel very sad that i was so excited at being accepted as i love to learn and progress, but they have not shown any enthusiasm for me. If they can't release me, my husband says i should resign, but i don't really want to do that as it is a lovely nursery, i can understand their delima (spelling) as i know they need staff to cover, just feel i want to do this so much. Anyway if in the end they say they can't release me, i will probably end up asking if they will support me doing it via the OU. I just prefer the idea of going to college and meeting up with people for support etc. So who knows i may end up being one of the many on here doing it through the OU.

Rosepetal

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I have now received the information and sent off the Registration Agreement - unfortunately did it on Thursday and forgot about the postal strike yeasterday, so hope it gets there ok. Fingers crossed I will hear from them very soon.

Can your setting get funding from the Transformation Fund to pay for staff cover whilst you attend the course?

Contact the training department of your LEA. Does seem unfair that you cannot do it too and you will be able to support each other.

Don't despair though if you can't, the OU is a great way to do the FD and there are tutorials. I'm off to one shortly, leaving hubby to do the housework and the shopping! Well, we were invited on a bike ride to the pub last night instead of going to the supermarket. No competition!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)