Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Documents

Just wondering if you all do transition documents to give to your schhols as children start? Also someone had said that it is now expected that pre school do these? If so where could I find this info from to take back to my setting? :o

we have had to do these for last 3 years now as a condition of recieving funding, ours are supplied by LEA and standard for all settings so schools get the same info regardless of the setting attended before school.

They cover the first 3 profile points with a page to write more if needed , a parents comment page and need to be signed by parents. we also have to enclose any IEPs and a drawing by the child to include mark making if possible.

They can take ages to complete so each keyworker does them

Inge

We have also been doing these for the past 3/4 years. As was mentioned by Inge local early years are very good maybe if you give them a call they can give you a template that you can adapt if needed.

Am so sorry to 'butt in' on this conversation. I take all documents (A4 files) from Pre-School and sometimes they are so overwhelming with all the information contained that I am quite daunted in even approaching them as a Reception teacher. Best for me is observing children in own setting,talking to key workers and seeing how children respond in visits to school. Realise you have a need to complete these and from talking with staff sicerely recognise the time taken for key workers to complete but would just welcome a very clear and precise format that gives me an overview of progress. Are such formats around? From your point of view what would you like to happen in the transition process?A very sincere question. Thank you for any comments that could better help me to improve relationships with feeder groups.

luluj

Hiya,

Its nice to be recognised for the work that has to be done. Perhaps there will be some clarity when we are all working with the EYFS and maybe one document that everyone completes. although there will undoubtedly be moderation problems.

At my old setting I completed a profile covering every single stepping stone, all highlighted, dated where completed , with a note as to where the next steps might be (not fsp) for each child but also a page report on each child for both parents and teachers which sums them up much more personally, perhaps with a few memorable anecdotes of their time with us, funny moments, interesting comments they made and any interesting observations. I think all these observations and they seem to be getting more as the EYFS are very onerous. Do we want to do them? It helps to get an understanding on where the children are but the amount of paperwork is becoming unmanageable both for you and us. For transition I think it would be good to get together with the school teacher and give them a quick run down of the child. Sometimes there are just things you cannot write but might impact on their learning e.g. pushy parents resulting in low self confidence, recent parental separation, medical issues etc etc. all I believe useful information. I think a quick run down on some key areas would probably be far more useful.

Nikki

Thanks very much for your reply Nikki. I think you are right that having an opportunity to talk to each other is key! As you say,knowing about personal circumstances is really important. I am going to see if I can get the ball rolling on this! And yes you wonderful people are indeed recognised!

luluj

Thanks for all your replies, we do a trasistion doc at the mo which is under the ares of learning, my concern is that is it what a teacher needs? I am having a meeting nxt week to talk to our teacher involved. Also for informal chats do you need parental permission? Can anyone direct me as to where to get a standard doc from pls?

Edited by skippy

Hi All

We dont pass on any documents but i have a meeting with the local nursery schools senior practitioner and senco. That works well for us. The only problem many pre-schools have is they dont only feed to one school.

Also i found that when i visited my little ones when they go to the school nursery they were not working to their abilities because they need time to settle in. If i send their profiles across to the teacher it would look like we were over stating what they could do, when i fact they would just need to build their confidence again.

I hope you understand what i mean.

Guest MaryEMac

Our parents get the record of achievement and we also do a more personal report which covers the 6 areas of learning and anecdotes about their time with us. This report is given to the reception teacher with parents permission. We only feed into one school and we are on the school site so the rec teacher and the headteacher often pop in to say hello. The children also go into school for three afternoons so that they are aware of thing like where the toilets are for example. I also do a brief resume of how the child behaves, who they are friendly with and if they have any foibles which parents might not think to mention.

Mary

As ours are based on first 3 profile points the schools find them very relevant...they also visit the settings they are receiving children from and spend a bit of time with the children at them, this allows us to raise any concerns we may have and them to learn about us..in our area schools recieve funding to cover the visit.

So far ahd 3 visits one booked for next week...we only have oone who does not visit and they recieve the majority of our children... we have even tried writing an invitre but no joy... and they still get the funding!!

Inge

Hi I feed into 3 schools to are great one doesn't even recognise we exist but he ho never mind.

We do a all about me booklet supplied by the borough covers stepping stones and has comment sections. we pass on to parents and ske them to pass to school. We also have meetings with the teachers to pass on all relevant info to help them give the best for the children. which children mix well good combinations, and family situations etc.

A mixture of both is needed i think

We use a standard, Record of Transfer, not legally expected of us to do these yet, however I do believe we have to when the EYFS comes in in 2008.

You can find it here in the resource library. Record of Transfer doc

I also visit the school myself and talk to teacher about who is friends with who, family issues, etc. The teacher also visits the setting and then the children have visits to the school with their parents.

We also get to visit the children at the school during their first term to see how they are settling etc.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)