Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fax Your Mp

Has anyone heard anything from their MP or secretary of state education.

To be honest I'm getting disheartened as the majority of replies I'm getting from playgroups , nurseries etc are all saying they treat their NNEBs as level 3 already and hold them in very high regard. What is wrong with mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rhodessj

Hi Hotgoss

I received a "standard" holding reply from my MP saying he'd look into it. Although I received the reply within 24 hours of sending my fax, I've heard nothing since - mind you the powers that be in Westminster are on holiday...

I have heard much the same thing about people regarding the qualification as valid when interviewing etc., but am doing my DPP at present with one lady (who has run her group for 8years or more) - her Committee said "re-train or leave!"... Because there is so much "flimsyness" about the whole issue each setting, Committee, region etc have their own interpretation of what to do about it.

Apart from the time & extra work involved, it can't do any harm to continue training - I personally am really enjoying mine and feel the staff in my setting could do with "refreshing" their ideas a little (or a lot actually...).

No real answers for you I'm afraid...

Sandra :D

I don't mind updating my knowledge at all , in fact as you say it is extremely beneficial , but what I can't understand is how I can be moved down to a level 2 only to be moved up again when I've completed my updating ( which is easier said than done ) because there are no clear guidelines as to which courses are suitable updates , what will happen when something new comes into force will I be moved down again until I've studied it , at this rate I'll be going up and down like a yo yo <_

Guest valletta

hi hotgoss,

just had a email from Ofsted and guess what!!

they have now said I do not have to do the level 3... I basically moaned and moaned about it to all the necessry bodies of education and I even signed up with Apel to do the fast track -

sonow do not feel under pressure, obivously as I have been sooooooooooo long in my pre school without a career break (15years) and as long as I do the updating of courses it looks like they are ok with me.

see - it pays to moan and complain alot to the powers that be, maybe the M.P. contacted Ofsted - I dont know.

Glad to hear it Valletta....

I think its different authorities that have the problem.. obviously Hotgrasses has it the worst... which is why we have to all keep on to make it clear across the board as a national tyhing as it should be.... :o

Valletta I am sooooooooooooooooooooo pleased for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! what makes it so frustrating is that I don't even run my group and have no intention of doing so , I am quite happy to update my knowledge but I just get so fed up that my employer just will not recognise my qualification. I had to fight to be put up to a level 2 but really should be a level 3 . it is not the money I am after it is just the principle.

Thank you all for your support

Guest valletta

if I find out anymore why I have been given a reprieve from the level 3 - I will tell you.

The Ofsted lady is coming in to see us after Easter holiday, and then it will be explained - so hold on till then!!

thanks for all your support

Hi all,

I'm in Nottingham, and not a peep has been heard regarding this - my manager qualified as NNEB at least 20 years ago, she's heard nothing and we had an Ofsted Inspection in Jan with no comment!

Sue

I'm in the south east

I'm not so sure its to do with where I am , I think its more my employers not recognising my NNEB should be level 3

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated

Sue R has your manager kept up to date with

anti-discriminatory practice

- equality of opportunity

- child protection

- health and safety

- curriculum planning and early learning goals (Foundation Stage training)

These are the areas in which I've been told to 'top up' and then and only then my NNEB might be recognised as a level 3 trouble is no one can tell me what courses are acceptable or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well hotgoss ...there's the rub!

I think if Ofsted DID say anything, she'd come to grief. She tends to use staff feedback from courses as an update. She's been manager since last summer, but is a longstanding staff member so has 'respect'. She's also brilliant, don't get me wrong, but seeing how some of you are struggling it seems so unfair! :D

Sue

Hi Hotgoss -

I think, as others have suggested, that the main problem is not with any national policy but with your employer. We had a combined inspection a couple of months ago and our supervisor, an NNEB, had no problems.

I also agree with Sue - EYDCP's should be running lots of courses covering all aspects that you might need to top up on. Some of them are free, some of them are chargeable, but they should be all you need to do - and you should at least ask your employer to pay for the chargeable ones. Many of them run in the evenings or at the weekend. :)

Well, I have had a response from my MP. Not a letter or a FAX but a personal phone call on my mobile phone this afternoon WHILE I WAS SHOPPING IN TESCO!!!!!!

He said he was going to contact OFSTED and Early Years to try to get an answer from them as to what qualifies as qualified. He was in total agreement that having an older qualification and 25 years experience plus top up and refresher courses should be acceptable and would put the points I made in my letter, to them as well. He said that contacting OFSTED would be his first step and he would definitely keep in touch.

Sue :)

That is personal service! I bet you had a heart attack.

Very impressive.

At least they all seem to be taking our concerns seriously, even if they are taking it slowly!