Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Big 'o'

mundia

We were given a notice to improve at a previous OFSTED basically because our KS2 SAT results weren't as good as previous years. We felt that the team had already made their judgement without seeing the school purely on these results. A year later we were re inspected by OFSTED and judged to be good only difference was in the SAT results so please don't feel too bad. I'm sure in a years time it will be a different story.

Do you get the opportunity to ask the inspectors exactly what they mean when they make comments about such things as reading to the children at playtime? Do you get to know why it's a bad thing, whats wrong with it?

Perhaps Ofsted should send out a directive to all schools, nurseries etc about the right time to read, maybe offer training so we know where we've been going wrong all these years. :(

Dont despair too much mundia, you know that next time around a different bunch of inspectors will tell you that you're not reading enough stories and wouldnt it be nice to do it at playtime.

But honestly, I'm not cynical :oxD

Ofsted inspections are the pits. We hear different things all th time. Just reading the posts on here we are either told totally different things or expected to know the current 'thing' without being told. The whole inspection process was meant to be completely open and impartial and more importantly worked to set criteria. In practice this does not happen and it feels luck of the draw how the day goes.

Guest tinkerbell

Sorry Mundia I have missed the whole of your big O thread.Please don't get down over it like everyone is saying it depends on the team and it would have been different with another bunch of inspectors.

Have you talked to your HT there is time to ask or negotiate what actually is written in the report, when the draft comes to school can you have a say ?

Jumping through hoops we are all doing it...good job its only 7 weeks to go to the hols..are you in a school?

BIG HUG Tinkerbellx

Just carrying on the reading theme, whilst studying for the FD I came across a reference that said that listening to stories is one of the most important planks of the platform on which literacy is built ( GWells, 1985).

Could find full reference if anyone is interested.

Dread ours looming inspection!

thanks peeps, it is reassuring to know that people are rooting for you.

(by all means longwayround pm me anytime)

Sadly the criticism has been leveled at FS because our profiles scores didn't indicate enough 6s last year in CLL. never mind our starting point, that was 'irrelevant'. Their response is to go down the more formal route, which I really feel is like walking back through time. Sadly I dont have the finances to be able to resign but that shelf stacking job is looking more promising by the minute.

Guest tinkerbell

Mundia I feel sad for you and the Ofsted attitude of targets!They can't see the wood for the trees!

Please don't feel down I know from all your posts that you must be an excellent teacher, you are a valued member of the forum I always appreciate your posts and advice.

Tinkerbellx

Mundia - none of the ridiculous judgements that Ofsted have made affect how we all think about you: someone who knows what she's talking about, is kind and supportive and has the best interests of the children at heart. Who could ask for anything else from a teacher? I feel very sad that you have been made to feel so low and can only hope that all the obviously genuine messages of support and caring go a little way to making you feel that you are valued and doing a good job. As Chill so wisely said, set criteria are what's needed - not a load of random people with random likes and dislikes which can be randomly applied however and whenever they feel like it.

Big hugs and lots of consoling thoughts!

Poor Mundia, I do feel for you. When we had our last Ofsted, FS was criticised for not having a Baseline assessment from which to track the pupils and hence was given a lower marking than the rest of the school. They managed to include a criticism of FS in every section of the report and I was then subjected to extra monitoring from advisors and senior management. I felt rock bottom even though it wasn't my fault. However, when I retired at Easter I had so many presents and cards from parents and children that I knew then how much I was really appreciated. I am sure you have similar support in your school and the parents and children love you.

Don't give up Mundia! XX