Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Qualifications

Iwent to spend the morning at my new pre-school. Whilst there I asked about the qualifications of the staff. 1 is a Level 3 and 1 is a Level 2, 2 working towards Level 2 and 2 unqualified. If on one session, there is one level 3 and 2 unqualified then surely this is not meeting the standards? Isnt it 1 level 3 and then at least half of staff with level 2?

Also the acting Deputy (who has been left in charge when acting supervisor is absent) has 15 years experience but no qualifications? Again I was under the impression that this is not right either?

Jenni

Hi

i have been looking at the guidance for this today in section 2.5 of the standards it states that any person being left in charge is required to have the appropriate qualifications as a manager and that anyone taking on a supervisory role that inolves supervising or directing staff should hold a level 3 or a action plan needs to be in place to show how they will achieve level 3. You are correct that at least 50% of the staff must hold a recognised childcare qualification. A full list of qualifications and there recognised levels is accessible at cwdc council

:o-->

QUOTE(Jenni B @ May 17 2007, 20:04) 94799[/snapback]
Also the acting Deputy (who has been left in charge when acting supervisor is absent) has 15 years experience but no qualifications? Again I was under the impression that this is not right either?

This would depend on how long the person has been running the nursery! It has only recently come to be enforced that they should be working towards a level 3 qualification. Hence the APEL course.

When we were having problems finding a deputy I rand OFSTED to see if it was ok for the deputy to be training for level 3. They said yes but that they could not be left in charge if the manager was not on the premises and someone at level 3 must be there.

You are right, but if they are working towards a level 2 this is ok with action plan in place,

I often wonder how many settings actually do not follow standards and it is only in an inspection that this is noted, but even then it may be missed or wxplanation not actually fully true to how things work

Inge