Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pros And Cons Of Powerpont Presentations

I had a disagreement today with the tutor who was showing us powerpoint. I didnt think it helped me to learn, as all the information on the screen was also on the handouts. The screen was a bit jazzier but that was all.

I didnt like it. I could see that maybe you could show animations, films etc that may help in a delivery of something, but overall I didnt rate it as a learning tool.

I'd love to hear your ideas on its use.

Do you like it's use?

Does it aid your learning or is a tool for the tutor?

Any really good or bad experiences of courses where it was used?

Thanks folks :o

Hi Rea,

I'm fairly ambivalent about the use of pp. Having been trained as a trainer before they really took off, I'm not confident, but reckon I soon could be ( well, given my famous incompetence with things computer-related..... :( ). They're Ok, pretty much like OHPs are ok, but need and should be backed by sound knowledge as a grounder. So, I suppose I see them as simply a visual aid. You've had the handouts gone through, much as in any situation!

I once famously went on a course, recently, where the laptop stubbornly refused to cooperate, so the trainer (of the old school, who carried her old style stuff as back up) simply trundled out the OHP and got on with it the hard way!! xD

I do like the facility of spaces to make your own notes against the prepared handout, but that's counter balanced, I suppose, by the fact that the format makes redundant any note taking of consequence, so people who remember better by writing down may conceivably be placed at a disadvantage ..... I see I am appearing to sit on the fence, here!!

Overall I would say it's a tool that makes life easy for the trainer ( no writing of handouts etc) and it does mean learners can listen more without worrying about writing things down, but personally I find watching endless screens/slides etc rather disconcerting - I sometimes realise I'm planning dinner rather than concentrating :o . Much like those early audio-visual French lessons where you spent hours in a stuffy, darkened classroom, half asleep and not really sure of what it was all about, anyway - or am I so old no one else can remember them?

Sue

Hmm, I quite like PPTs, cos I can see them!

I expect there will be a requirement of the course that you are familiar with different ways of delivering which will include use of ppt , IWB, etc etc. In a sense they would be failing in their duty NOT to have a session or two on them as they are used a lot by many people and may be requirements of things like job presentations (I have always been asked to produce one for the last 3 jobs I have applied for ). The very fact that you are questioning their use and value means that the session has in fact had some impact on your thinking, even if at the end of the day you still think the same way, you have at least reflected and considered.

Personally I often use ppts when i present, usually with key points which serve as a reminder to me for what I want to says ince I cant commit everyhting to memory and making notes in next to useles for me. I would rather look at a screen (well written of course) containing key points to remember than listen to someone babbling on or reading from a handout. If they contain pictures even better, as I learn beter this way.

My bad experiences are associated usually with the way they are put together rather than the what, or them being badly used by the presenter. Which of course is another reeason why its not a bad idea to experiment with how to use it.

What do others think?

My favourite is listening to someone who 'knows their stuff!' and uses powerpoint as part of the presentation. I like to make my scrawly notes and always take a notepad with me.

I have had some handouts which have been OK but the ones I really detest are when I am given a handout and then sit for ages whilst she/he uses powerpoint to go through the handout!! I agee with Marion, why give the same information twice?!

I hate being read to from a Powerpoint! Our Head is very fond of doing that. I too like pictures, I must be a visual learner.

I remember it Sue - Ecoute et repete - 'Monsieur Marsaud est dans le jardin.'

Not really too bothered by the use of powerpoint presentations, just as long as they are not over used, just another way to information across...

I have used power point to present kids work and stories, that has always been a great success, have done an alphabet name book where kids recorded themselves speaking and played them over their photos, also made class books with children's own pictures, either scanned or done using kidpics, provided its only used occassionally i think it can be quite useful...

I don't like the presenter simply reading what is on the screen, it annoys me as I can see it so why are they reading it to me!!

If I have to present I use it as a guide or like some of you have said the visual aid is support for what you are presenting,

I think overall pp's are good if used effectively, suppose it takes time to practice one's presenting skills, I always talk too fast and i must say that at least when your audience are focusing on the pp screen at least they don't have to stare at you! :o

On reflection, I must agree with Geraldine, in that when the presentation is used as a backdrop of points to remember, with a knowledgable and interesting trainer to talk around the subject, they can be very effective. Some of the better courses I've been on recently have been of that nature. However I do still think that in the wrong hands they can be counter productive.

And mundia, I hadn't thought of your point about being able to see them! There's a slapped wrist for me!

Sue

PS - Rea, I've just finally registered your subtitle - are they worth it? If it's something you're going to deliver on a regular basis, then anything that gives you lots to choose from to vary delivery according to your group of learners is! Don't know why I didn't make that point in the first place! :o

S x

Hmmmmmm not sure what I think here...I use them to summarise what I am going to say, I try not to read off them but talk more about the points and flesh them out with examples...and I hate being read to as well. But I like seeing them as i'm a more visual learner and it helps me absorb the information quickly and then do more useful thinking about other stuff if the presenter is dull as ditch water!! At strategy conferences they use the same ppts over again which can be infuriating but I spose they've got to all be singing off the same hymn sheet!

cx

I need something visual to hook me in but detest it when presenters use them to read word for word. They should really just have some simple bullet points or pictures to keep them moving along with the presentation. I also like to be able to make my own notes, as I remember these much better. I have been to some training where we have been asked not to make notes as we will be given handouts at the end. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)