Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Clubs

Hi All

If you are open both morning and afternoon and have a lunch club, are you then classed as full day care?

Does the club work on a first come first serve? Obviously you could not have both am and pm sessions together (can you imagine 52 children for lunch every day.)

Does anyone provide the am session with breakfast club and the pm session with lunch club?

I'm just doing a little forward planning for when we offer the children 3 hour sessions.

Thanks

Lou

Hi Lou

I think you will need to check with OFSTED but if you are open for more than four hours per session contiunously then I think you are full day care?

I could be completley wrong

Deb

Guest Wolfie

I agree with Deb, I think that if a child is able to attend for more than four hours then you are full day care.

We are allowed to let children eat their lunch within the funded time so am children can have their lunch at end of session and p.m children can eat theirs during the p.m.session.

If a setting is open for more than 4 hours it is classed as a daycare provision.

Thanks for the speedy response. I'm sorry Wolfie i wasn't very clear. I was thinking more along the lines of the am children in for 3 hours including lunch and then the pm children in 3 hours including lunch. I just didn't know how settings could provide the sevice for both am and pm sessions. It would still mean opening all day even if the children went home, so looks like it would be full day care.

That would still be sessional providing the children don't attend for more than 4 hours so if they attend for 3 hours then go home you are keeping within your registration. The only thing you would have to watch is staff not working for six hours continuously. I believe they would need a twenty minute break (I might be wrong) so you would need to rota your staff accordingly.

Thanks Nicki

I think you are right.

Staff would be able to take turns having a break, we usually run one over ratio. Plus i have some staff who just do pm sessions so would be able to work that area out. I would like to eat my lunch with the children but i will provide a break time for staff.

Another thing you MUST do to remain sessional is to have a period with NO children in your care..

This is in the definition of sessional care found at the front of the standards document...(p5)

otherwise you are classed as full daycare, even though children only stay the 3 hour sessions.

we tried but have to close for 15 mins between sessions or were classed as full day care, which we cannot do as we have no separate staff toilet available which is stated in the day care standards as needed.

caused us a head ache and find we still cannot do 3 hour sessions for both am and pm as we cannot have hall long enough for the break plus set up and put away time.

Inge

we do a 2 sessions per day 9.30 till 12.00 then 15 min break and do another session 12.15 till 2.45..we do have staff toilet (not sure what that has to with it) but staff get a 20min break between sessions xD

we do a lunch club on a monday but still withion the 4 hrs so not classed as full time :o

We are only open mornings but our lunch club children book their slot and pay for it along with the half termly fees. If the place is booked and paid in advance we charge £2.50 (1 1/4 hrs) which secures the place, if parents book on an adhoc daily basis they pay £2.70, provided their is a space. Their is a difference because if a child is ill, and has paid in advance, they do not get a refund. Parents paying on a daily ad hoc basis only have to pay if their child attends.

hali,

you need a staff toilet if you do not have the break with no children so get classed as full daycare ..... we spent ages sorting out a lunch club.

we are there all day anyway so quite what they think we do now is a mystery. .. not use it all day except the 15 mins with no children? Have noticed though that new EYFS which does not differentiate in standards for daycare or sessional but has same for both also asks for seperate toilet...took me a while to find it but it is there somewhere I was curious as to what standard was... now I look forward to finding out what they say to all those in the same boat as us who cannot have one that is unless we only have 10 children and 1 staff toilet!!

Sorry bit if a hijack... back to lunch clubs

inge

Thank you all so much for your replies. Not a highjack inge, it all links in. We are fortunate to have a disabled toilet that we use for staff, so wouldn't be a problem. Lots to think about.

Thanks again

Lou

we do a 2 sessions per day 9.30 till 12.00 then 15 min break and do another session 12.15 till 2.45..we do have staff toilet (not sure what that has to with it) but staff get a 20min break between sessions xD

we do a lunch club on a monday but still withion the 4 hrs so not classed as full time :o

So that's why I sometimes see you in the morning when I'm rushing to set up! You always look so calm and collected whilst I'm always late! Perhaps I should start at 9.30...

We offer a three hour morning session, an hour's lunch club and then an afternoon session (only one day a week) for another hour and a half. Staff staying all day get half an hour for lunch.

Maz

• 8 months later...
Hi All

If you are open both morning and afternoon and have a lunch club, are you then classed as full day care?

Does the club work on a first come first serve? Obviously you could not have both am and pm sessions together (can you imagine 52 children for lunch every day.)

Does anyone provide the am session with breakfast club and the pm session with lunch club?

I'm just doing a little forward planning for when we offer the children 3 hour sessions.

Thanks

Lou

we offer am and pm sessions and also provide a lunch club so we are really flexible children can attend 9-11.30, 9-12.30, 11.30-3pm or 12.30-3pm or full time 9am-3pm so we are classed as full time because children are on the premises all day with no break hope this helps

we do a lunch club for our nursery wrap around 11.30-3.00 we do an am session with no lunch club9-11.30. we also run a before and after school and a holiday club . we have a gap before the after school of 15mins our registration is for a sesssional pre-school a seperate after school club which the children can attend and a full day holiday club. we do not have a staff loo which prevents us having full day care however it doesnt matter for after school or the holiday club in the present standards though I think this may change come sept as all the standards will be changing .confused ? we are so trying to get a staff loo for sept. as long as you have the children no longer than 4 hrs for sessional care you are ok.

sue

we offer am and pm sessions and also provide a lunch club so we are really flexible children can attend 9-11.30, 9-12.30, 11.30-3pm or 12.30-3pm or full time 9am-3pm so we are classed as full time because children are on the premises all day with no break hope this helps

Hi Sarah

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum - enjoy!

Maz